Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Grrrr

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I downloaded MSN messenger 6, but I cannot get rid of the last version, so they sit side by side on my toolbar. However, one keeps trying to log in whilst the other one is logged in and it is doing my head in! How can I get rid of the other messenger? I have been to add/remove programs but it isn't in there!!

Comments

• Options
    BumbleBee,

Close your more recent messenger. Double-click on the old icon by the clock, go to tools and untick the option that says "start at Windows start-up". Get out of the menus, and close the old messenger. Reboot, and you should only have the latest one starting with Windows now.

If you have a recent version of Windows, I don't think that you can remove the bundled messenger.
  • Options
    You can remove the old version, go to add remove programs then windows components, windows messenger will be listed there, uncheck the box and all should be well :)
  • Options
    what they said should do the trick...add/remove programs, msn 6 is way better, dont need that other crap one anymore.
  • Options
    or do u mean windows messenger in xp?
  • Options
    <realises he should elaborate> If you ARE running Windows XP then it uses API calls from windows messenger making it very difficult to get rid of however it IS possible (I have done it :D). If you are running Windows XP then this is probably why you have them both running side by side then I can try and tell you how to sort that out.