Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Calling All Thespians

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Right, this might get moved to Entertainment, but hopefully I have got this right by putting it here. There is a competition going on within the cast of a play I am participating in. We are putting on The Mousetrap, the super sleuthy play by Agatha Christie. Now, at one point (coincidently) they mention "Nylons from Gibraltar" Now, whoever finds out the significance of this quote gets an extra week for line learning, so I'd appreciate if anyone knows anything about Gibraltarian Nylons in the 1950s, please post!! If you need any more info on the situation, ask and I will post it here :)

Cheers all
Euly

Comments

• Options
    Yeah, i have searched the net high and low for it.... hence why I am posting. Surely there must be some amature dramatic people registered on a site as vast as this one.
  • Options
    Gimmie the sentence it's used in and a few of the sentences round about it.
  • Options
    Whats a thespian?! I know i should know, but i can be incredibly dumb sometimes... :rolleyes:
  • Options
    amateur dramatic people?! have i answered my own question...?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kiezo
    Gimmie the sentence it's used in and a few of the sentences round about it.

The police have just called the house saying they are sending someone round, Molly and Giles Ralston are trying to think of why they could be coming

Molly then says "Do you think it's those nylons from Gibraltar?"

Editted to change Mollie to Molly :p
  • Options
    Originally posted by lil_minx
    amateur dramatic people?! have i answered my own question...?

not just amature, any kind of dramatic person... Thespians :)
  • Options
    how to ruin a very good play for those who havent seen it. Did you enjoy it when you watched it?

*got the role of Detective Sergent Trotter :D
  • Options
    Where's it set?
  • Options
    Monkswell Manor Guest House, outside of London (Berkshire apparently)
  • Options
    *could be totally wrong*

is it something to do with tights?

i know in WW2 they had to get their tights from somewhere else, cause all the tights factories were used to make supplies for the war.

and tights are known as nylons.
  • Options
    Originally posted by legal junkie
    *could be totally wrong*

is it something to do with tights?

i know in WW2 they had to get their tights from somewhere else, cause all the tights factories were used to make supplies for the war.

Could be, infact, that is a very sensible answer, i know the nylon tight connection, but yes, all the nylon would have been used for parachutes during the war, but that ended in 1945, surely they would have had some more by the 50s
  • Options
    Originally posted by Eul Grepus
    Could be, infact, that is a very sensible answer, i know the nylon tight connection, but yes, all the nylon would have been used for parachutes during the war, but that ended in 1945, surely they would have had some more by the 50s

not necessarily. my dad was born in 1948 and he still remembers rationing....
  • Options

I was thinking along the same lines :p

Or, since the war was over by the 1950's, it might have been something to do with trade restrictions.
  • Options
    The set is extremely well designed BritJames, we are puttin it on in September, and our crew are already working on the set :crazyeyes
  • Options
    Right, here goes.

Due to it's durability and other aspects, nylon was used emmensly (sp) from aeroplane tires to parachutes and weapon parts. For this reason, it's use was rationed by the British Government as part of wartime rationing, and continued to be rationed until the mid 1950s. When the rationing on nylon ceased, a pair of monofilament ladies stockings cost 12/6d, for the same amount today (60p) you can purchace multifilament stockings with 3 times the amount of nylon. However, in the 50s 12/6 had the spending/purchasing power of about £125 modern pounds, so if ladies could get cheaper stockings somewhere else, they would.

The stockings Molly bought were probably cheap and she more than likely heard they were imported from Gibraltar, so when she heard that the police were on their way, she probably thought the stockings weren't actually from Gibraltar and had be stolen.

You see Brit, told you i was a detective :p
  • Options
    yeah, just got to get my cockney accent sorted :p
  • Options
    *genius*

;)
  • Options
    Originally posted by Eul Grepus

Rationing ended in 1951.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Simbelyne
    Rationing ended in 1951.

i know a 54 year old who would disagree with you.
  • Options
    i know a 54 year old who would disagree with you.

thats what i was taught at school tho'! :(
  • Options
    Originally posted by Simbelyne
    thats what i was taught at school tho'! :(

my dad had a ration book while he was at school, and he was only born in 1948...

maybe they stopped it at different times in different parts of the country.
  • Options
    No different things came off the ration at different times. I think the last thing to come off the ration was sweets in 1953. (Hence why when all those programmes about the Queen's coronation were on last year, everyone said how the coronation of the new Queen marked the moving into a new era, linked to the fact that rationing ended in the same year.) Most of the rationing after the war was to stop prices exploding because of a lack of supply and because the government needed the money to pay back the Americans for their war loans.