Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Cinemas: Digital Sound/Large Screen VITAL!!!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
If you are going to spend £4-5 to see an action movie with special FX it really is important to see it in a LARGE screen auditorium with stadium seating and digital sound. Because films get moved round to smaller screens (with less seats) after few weeks it's a good idea to see it early on. In my case the multiplexes are a little further than my local which isn't equipped with the latest technology. I saw "Charlie's Angels 2" in a Dolby Stereo SR (surround) cinema and it just was not the same as in SDDS (Sony Dynamic Digital Sound) in a multiplex. In many cases there should be a plaque outside the door of the screen displaying the sound system installed in the cinema (DTS, Dolby Digital, SDDS) and/or just before the BBFC certificate rating a trailer saying which sound system the film is going to be presented in - although I've found this is not legally binding for a cinema to show this - I saw "Lord of the Rings" in DTS and no trailer was shown.

The other issue with the size of the screen. Some blockbusters are shown in 2-5 screens in a day and if you know which screens are the big ones i.e. with the largest number of seats you can decide which timing to see the film. Some like Warner Village http://www.warnervillage.co.uk give you the screen number of a showing so you know prior to leaving the house.

This might all sound a bit obsessive but believe you me seeing a film with the digital sound and a large screen does make a BIG difference.

Does anyone have a fave branch and is it for the reasons above? (e.g. UCI, UGC, Showcase, Odeon, Warner, etc)

P.S. Does anyone have a fave Dolby Digital trailer? Mine's the Egypt one. http://www.dolby.com/lic/ecm/trailers.html
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Aisha!!!!! *Hugs* Where have you been? Get your contraversial arse over to the Sex board!!!!

xxx
  • Options
    well im going to see Matrix Reloaded on IMAX, 4x bigger and 10x clearer than ordinary cinema :D
  • Options
    Originally posted by Gavman
    well im going to see Matrix Reloaded on IMAX, 4x bigger and 10x clearer than ordinary cinema :D
    :lol: I worked in an IMAX cinema....
  • Options
    Matrix Revolutions trailer [124]

The trailer for this is at the very end of the credits for Matrix Reloaded! But since most ppl leave at the start ...
  • Options
    I take it you mean at the start of the credits, Aisha. 'Reloaded' was bad, but not that bad... ;)