Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Baldness

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
What do people think about the issue of Baldness?

We've just had a visit from a friend of my dad's which got me thinking - this guy wears a wig, but it's the worse wig I've ever seen - it looks so fake that everyone that seens him in his wig says - he must look better bald then with that thing on his head.

I also have a friend in his late 20's now losing his hair, and he's been trying Regain but it's not working for him.

From your own observations Is it true baldness comes from your mother's side..

oh and it would be interesting to hear from any guys that have shaved their heads to hear what they think - have you found you get treated differently for instance.

My cousin was going bald so he shave it all off and looks much better now, oh and his dad has a full set of hair, whilst the men on his mother's side are all bald.

Comments

• Options
    *Shrugs* meh, it happens.
    People should just accept it rather than being ashamed...
  • Options
    Originally posted by LadyT
    *Shrugs* meh, it happens.
    People should just accept it rather than being ashamed...

Yeah but I think that's easier said then done, espacially during the transitional stages I think once the baldness has fully set it then it looks fine - the sort of sean connery look.

But when it's at the stage where the hair is getting there I think it's tough for the guy because you're niether bald nor have a full head of hair. I was retouching some photographs for a relative of her three sons and one was balding at the time so I just used some software to remove all the fuzzy hair from the photo - in other words making him looking even balder and he looked a lot better.
  • Options
    I guess thats a "joy" i wont understand fully then... being a girl.
  • Options
    I guess thats a "joy" i wont understand fully then... being a girl.

I wouldn't be too sure, women also lose their hair during illness and I think some experience hairloss during pregnancy - maybe some of the women here who've had kids can enlighten us...
  • Options
    Originally posted by DiamondGeezer
    I wouldn't be too sure, women also lose their hair during illness and I think some experience hairloss during pregnancy - maybe some of the women here who've had kids can enlighten us...

I did say "fully" rather than "NEVER" as i am aware of illness and whatnot... :rolleyes: I'm not completely dense... :(
  • Options
    I did say "fully" rather than "NEVER" as i am aware of illness and whatnot... :rolleyes: I'm not completely dense... :(

Sure .. no problem .. although I think any hairloss is upsetting for most people... I know I've seen a couple of guys on here that have totally shaved their heads .. come on you guys lets hear from some of you.
  • Options

not in the best of moods today are you?

whats wrong?
  • Options
    Personally I will never, ever, do the hair scraping thing. Nor ever, ever, wear a wig. If it goes, then it's gone, and there's not much (despite what some products would have you believe) that you can do about it. At least not unless you spend an absolute fortune on something like Regain, which doesn't have a fantastic success rate. When mine's all gone, I'll just shave my head (or have it very very short).

Mr_Wobble ;)
  • Options
    A wig is a huge mistake, HEYOOOOGE! They never look right, I remember we teased one of my friends at school for years because we were sure her dad wore a wig and she denied it. Then one day he opened the door to me and he was totally bald!!

I can understand that it must be distressing to start losing your hair, but really... I don`t think it`s as big a deal to anyone else. Either leave it or shave it off, it shouldn`t ruin anyone`s life, cause life`s too short.
  • Options
    I don't like it at all...but wigs are worse, I'm sure.
  • Options
    Oh look, another question by diamond geezer, what a surprise :yeees:
  • Options
    Originally posted by seed
    I don't like it at all...but wigs are worse, I'm sure.

Andy is the only bald person I know.

And he looks lovely :)
  • Options
    I have a full head of hear but my dad was fairly bald by the time he was my age (23). My brother is 28 and he's getting fairly thin on top.
    I used to think that I had a time bomb ticking away, and that I would never pull anyone if I went bald. It doesn't bother me at all. Hair is important but wont compensate for personality, physique, looks, attitude, energy, intelligence etc. If you go bald and you are ashmed of it, then it will have an effect on you and may have an effect on your relationships. If you don't let it get in the way then sure, some women might be put off, but at least you won't put off the rest with a self depreciative attitude.
    I have also had this put into perspective by the shock a while ago that I had come into contact with hiv. I had to wait 3 months till I found that I was negative. I know that the original poster meant it quite lightheartedly but there are far worse things in life. Its not at all worth worrying about.
    That said, if I do start to thin out, I am considering using procepia. Its a pill which reduces the rate at which you go bald. I wouldn't do regaine because I'm a lazy person and simply couldn't be arsed to rub some chemical into my hair every day for the rest of my life.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Mr_Wobble
    Personally I will never, ever, do the hair scraping thing. Nor ever, ever, wear a wig. If it goes, then it's gone, and there's not much (despite what some products would have you believe) that you can do about it. At least not unless you spend an absolute fortune on something like Regain, which doesn't have a fantastic success rate. When mine's all gone, I'll just shave my head (or have it very very short).

Mr_Wobble ;)

I thought the real success comes with regain when it's used to prevent losing anymore hair - used that way I think the result can be fairly good for a lot of people but when used to try and regain already lost hair the result aren't as good.

There are a lot of scientists around the world working on the problem as a cure is worth Billions .. they do say however bald men are more Viril as the hair loss is caused by increases in Testosterone
  • Options
    .. they do say however bald men are more Viril as the hair loss is caused by increases in Testosterone

*toddles over to seedling*

;)
  • Options
    Originally posted by chaos_insomniac
    Oh look, another question by diamond geezer, what a surprise :yeees:

I like you, i think your cool, so im not having a go, but really that was uncalled for. whats the point in it apart from trying to start up yet another fight.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Zella
    really that was uncalled for. whats the point in it apart from trying to start up yet another fight.

Uh, yeah Chaos, wasn`t it you saying the other day that these boards are dead and we should all be post whores like you??

At least Diamond Geezer posts threads, the vast majority of them are good ones too. :thumb:
  • Options
    they do say however bald men are more Viril as the hair loss is caused by increases in Testosterone
    I think that's been proved to be only partially true by a very small percentage, and is more or less on old wives (or should that be old husbands) tale.
    I can remember watching a programme about it on TV a few years ago.

Mr_Wobble ;)