Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Speech Recognition

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Does anyone here use Speech recognition instead of typing?

I decided to try the Microsoft program that comes with Office XP

Can't say I'm impressed here is an example

Original Text
Wilson’s Restaurant, located on the beach at Calunguate, Goa right of the main steps that lead to the beach– is much more then just your usual beach shack serving drinks. What makes this place special are the gracious staff that return each year from South India to work there and their amazing chef who can whip up any number of dishes from their famous Chilli-Fry to Chinese food. The only shame of this place is it’s location, hidden from view of the Ocean by surrounding shacks, but then again it’s hidden nature is what makes this place such a treasure.

What the system thought I'd said
Wilson’s restaurant located on the beach a calendar Goa rights of the main steps that lead to the beach it’s much more than just a usual beach shack serving drinks what makes this place special olive crest stuff that return each year from south into to work there an amazing share taken without any number of dishes from the famous Judy fry to Chinese version Uni shameless place is its vacation hidden from view of the Haitian by surrounding shacks and then again it’s hidden nature is what makes this place such a treasure

Comments

• Options
    Geezer, help is at hand.

There are couple of good speech-to-text programs. I work at a computing firm where we provide machines for special needs. The two speech programs are Dragon Natually Speaking and Viavoice. The voice expert at my place says that Dragon has an edge over Viavoice.

You might want to stick one of those on your 'puter. When you get the software, you'll get a microphone-headset with it (applies to Dragon and Viavoice).
  • Options
    Thing is with Voice Recognition software is that the more you use the more accurate it gets. But because it's not accurate people don't use it - so it doesn't get more accurate.

Strange situation :rolleyes: :p
  • Options
    Originally posted by Ego
    Thing is with Voice Recognition software is that the more you use the more accurate it gets. But because it's not accurate people don't use it - so it doesn't get more accurate.

Strange situation :rolleyes: :p

Yeah I agree with the above - I tried the program straight out of the box so to speak (the microsoft one) and it was useless, but then did a training session and it improved a lot. The did another and only marginal improvement and but then my voice was getting tired cos the training text is so boring!!

Why can't it be like Knight Rider!! :p