Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Man bashing

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
We have a new rant by our lovely work experience girl Rosi

so what do you think of man bashing?

and if anything gets you angry and you want to write a rant about it email me, susie@thesite.org

Susie :)

Comments

• Options
    People often confuse 'equal rights' with women taking over the world and showing men what's what.

Couldn't agree more. I remember a thread the other week when someone called men "scum of the earth", and even though it was probably intended as a joke, the attitudes behind the comment really got a couple of us going.

And then that opens up the whole question of some women wanting men to be old fashioned when it comes to paying for a meal, but not when it comes to them staying home and doing the housework.

Nice work, well written :)
  • Options
    What do the work experience people do? (Aside from the stuff no one else wants to)? There used to be a link up about it if I remember correctly but it doesn't seem to be there anymore.

I couldn't agree more with the rant - when she's finished making tea tell her to come and say hello and stuff.
  • Options
    Things have gone way too far, and many women now partake regularly in the kind of derogatory nonsense which they did not appreciate from men. They have become what they most loathed.

Does anyone else remember the advert that was on a few years back for washing tablets, where the bloke comes in all muddy and is forced by his missus to strip off and put his clothes in the washing machine, in front of her snig gering mate, and they then proceeded to make "hilarious" comments about the size of his bits? That ad would have caused an uproar if the roles had been reversed. As it was I was so stunned by it I complained.

I really would NOT like to be a man today. :no:
  • Options
    I guess I am guilty...I work with a woman and a man..everyday me and the other woman always chat about our partners and often end the discussion by saying 'Men!! bloody men' or 'you know whay that is...because hes a bloody man' Its only recently when the man I work with turned round and said 'you don't like men much do you' that I realised I was doing it!
  • Options
    Bloody men, the dont call when they say they will, leave the toilet seat up, are always down the pub, dont last long enough, dont know how to do forplay, dont do the washing up, cant cook.

Generaly their all bastards!

Or perhaps, just perhaps we're not all one person?
  • Options
    The male bashing thing winds me up too, fair enough there are allot of lying cheating blokes out there but that doesnt mean we all are, there are plenty of women that do exactly the same.

Equality for women also seems to be only when it suits them too, yeah we are all equal, but when it comes to the nasty jobs or something you dont want to do it becomes a male job. The reversal would be the women in the kitchen senario!

The advertising world does play on that fact that they can use male bashing or take thing a little further with a male example. You see examples everyday on the telly, where if the role were reversed then there would be outcry from the female population.

And finally the sex thing, I watch a program last night, "sex tips for women" Allot of it was women critising the males performances in bed and foreplay etc. I mean how many times have you been laid down by a woman and treated like they would like to be ? I realise the female form is a litlle more complex than tug and suck here but give us some credit and some equality too !!!
  • Options
    Plus, if the man your sleeping with isnt that good, WHY would you sleep with him?!!!
  • Options
    ohh exciting..people are talking about my rant :) yay!
    glad people are agreeing with what i had to say, girls get away with making really sexist comments--guys, stand up for yourselves! if you reverse the genders in loads of adverts on tv,as miffy said, it would be considered SO sexist and would probably be banned or something! stupid stupid people..grrr!!
    to answer the question about work experience, i've been writing rants, (my second one will be up hopefully by the end of next week), researching thesite's competitors and stuff, and having fun! the people here are really lovely, and i've been having a good ol' laugh with katy, my fellow work experience girl too..it's all good! :)
    anyway, think ill be using the discussion boards more often, didnt know how good they are!
  • Options
    Can I just point out that I brought this point up a little while ago, not sure of the thread, I'll find it.
  • Options
    Yep, I knew it, granted it wasnt a long rant but in the thread about 'Medication for men'.

Well I feel smug now.
  • Options
    I just wanted to add that, whilst deploring manbashing, I think it would be very sad if we all lost the ability to laugh at ourselves sometimes.
  • Options
    i think it depends on the individual really...if you're someone eg a woman who's prepared to laugh at sexist anti women jokes and also makes anti-male jokes, that's okay i guess...but if someone for example says men are bloody useless/pigs etc and then gets all huffy and puffy if a man says something about women like that, then that's just being stupid and hypocritical on both their parts!
  • Options
    Well I think most people ought to be sensible enough to realise that the vast majority of us behave in stereotypical ways one time or another.
  • Options
    what do you mean? yeah stereotypes are probably rooted in truth, but you can't say every man/ woman is like the stereotype...sorry i don't get what you mean..
  • Options
    Originally posted by rosi
    what do you mean? yeah stereotypes are probably rooted in truth, but you can't say every man/ woman is like the stereotype...sorry i don't get what you mean..

What I`m saying is exactly what you just said. Yes, there are very, very few living, breathing stereotypes walking around, but as you said, if stereotypes are based upon a grain of truth, then most of us must act in a stereotypical way once in a while, mustn`t we?

(Sorry, that was a very long sentence!)

Everyone I know does.
  • Options
    Originally posted by rosi
    i think it depends on the individual really...if you're someone eg a woman who's prepared to laugh at sexist anti women jokes and also makes anti-male jokes, that's okay i guess...but if someone for example says men are bloody useless/pigs etc and then gets all huffy and puffy if a man says something about women like that, then that's just being stupid and hypocritical on both their parts!

I agree with that. I'm not going to say much on this topic though, as I'm the one that Bri-namite ranted at, and he scares me now :nervous:

I do think that now though, when it comes to sexist jokes, women are more likely to let them pass, while blokes make the argument of "if the role was reversed you'd be angry, blah blah". While, in my experience, if the role was reversed a woman would be more able to laugh it off. But I know thats just my experience/interpretation of things, and it's by no means what would happen with all women.

But anyway like Rosi said, if people are able to laugh at sexist jokes about their own gender, they shouldn't be slated for making sexist jokes about the opposite sex. So long as, obviously, it is only a joke. Sexist jokes will probably always be around. And jokes hurt no-one, if they are taken as just that - a joke. If someone can't handle sexist comments about their own sex though, they're in no position to slate the opposite sex.

Does that make sense?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Lil Laura
    I'm the one that Bri-namite ranted at, and he scares me now :nervous:

Ye gods, you`re easily frightened! :D
  • Options
    I have to say there is a huge difference between someone saying 'Ah bloody women, they're such nags' and saying 'if you don't let me stick my hands in your knickers then you won't get that pay rise'.
  • Options
    Originally posted by byny
    I have to say there is a huge difference between someone saying 'Ah bloody women, they're such nags' and saying 'if you don't let me stick my hands in your knickers then you won't get that pay rise'.

I know what you mean, that second comment is only right, whereas not all women nag.

:p

Seriously, I have never faced "male-bashing" as an issue, or should I say I have never felt it was an issue. Maybe this is because I am happy to give as much as I take and have yet to meet a woman who wasn't prepared to do the same...

Yes, I think that some adverts are a little suspect, but come on guess how many adverts are designed to appeal to us, so use scantily clad blondes with emormous chests?

Me thinks some people are a little too sensitive...
  • Options
    I'm always bitching at the TV about adverts and stuff and to my wife about the unfair nature of gender differences, she just tends to glaze over and nod her head every now and then.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Man Of Kent

Yes, I think that some adverts are a little suspect, but come on guess how many adverts are designed to appeal to us, so use scantily clad blondes with emormous chests?

There`s a difference, surely, between using the image of someone attractive to sell something, and using belittling and humiliating someone because of their gender??