Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Donnie Darko (spoliers)

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Im probably displaying my extreme ignorance here but what the hey.

Can someone please tell me what donnie darko was about? Like he went through all the month then it went back to the start again, what was that about? And Frank was actually a real guy, why was donnie seeing him?? Was the engine that killed donnie at the end from the plane his mum was on?

Sorry bout this, but i need to know what it was all about, its doing my head in!

no understand, me stupid :confused:
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    try this

offical site
  • Options
    I watched it a while ago. I think the idea was that he died to save his family and girlfriend. The engine fell from his parents plane but then it went back in time. I might have to watch it again to see what happened because I've forgot it now.
  • Options
    hmmm, that kinda helps, thanx. the website is scary tho :confused: i was even more confused after going on that
  • Options
    The website is great. I don't get it though.
  • Options
    that has to be the best film..eVer! watch it three times then you'll get it:)
  • Options
    Ok, here is my interpretation of it.

Frank is in a parallel universe to what Donnie is in. Therefore, he is able to contact Donnie and warn him/tell him/whatever about the future.
    That is why when Frank takes his mask off in the cinema, he already has the gun shot in his eye from which Donnie would give himl ater on in the film.

Near the end, when you hear the flashback conversations between Donnie and the teacher, you are reminded that all that is needed for time travel is a space craft of any kind(the plane, which you at this point) and a portal (which is also seen). Because Donnie is able to choose what route he can take (we know this because Frank has visited him, which should tell you that Donnie is "special" in a way and has the abily for time travel) he chooses death for himself, so that Gretchen, his Mum and Sister can live. He choose death because he felt that for him, death would be better for him than living, and when we hear the flashback conversation between Donnie and Gretchen, we are able towork that out.

Donnie was also able to give Gretchen anew life, so she wouldn't have all the trouble with her family.

So waht i think the film is about is: A person who is able to travel back and forwardin time had the abilty to sacrafice himself in order to give those, who would be dead, another chance.

Damn, that took a lot of thinking. :eek2:
  • Options
    Good film... but I didn't really follow it and nearly fell asleep
  • Options
    Well, I hope I never want to see that film, I know all about it now. Some people are soooo selfish - you could have mentioned that there were spoilers!
  • Options
    Originally posted by BumbleBee
    Well, I hope I never want to see that film, I know all about it now. Some people are soooo selfish - you could have mentioned that there were spoilers!

Didn't you read the first post first? It said tell me what the film is about. If you didn't want to know then you shouldn't have kept reading.
  • Options
    Originally posted by *raver*
    Didn't you read the first post first? It said tell me what the film is about. If you didn't want to know then you shouldn't have kept reading.
    Yes I did read it, it said:
    Can someone please tell me what donnie darko was about?
    but it did not stop there did it? No, it went on:
    Like he went through all the month then it went back to the start again, what was that about? And Frank was actually a real guy, why was donnie seeing him?? Was the engine that killed donnie at the end from the plane his mum was on?
    So, I already know that the main character dies.
  • Options
    But you knew that the person who has asked the question had seen the film and still didn't understand it - so to help them understand it, people would post a detailed description of what happened.
  • Options
    Originally posted by *raver*
    But you knew that the person who has asked the question had seen the film and still didn't understand it - so to help them understand it, people would post a detailed description of what happened.
    Who said I read on after the first post? I did not. That was enough to ruin a film that I have sitting on this shelf waiting to be watched. Cheers. There really is no comeback from this. If it were the other way around you would argue much the same as I.

Thank you to one of the mods, who I assume changed the title - :)
  • Options
    I would still watch the film because it is good. You will probably end up watching it a few times anyway because its so complicated. What you know now hasn't spoiled it really.

BTW, I've read back through what I put before and it does sound like I'm trying to argue with you. I wasn't really, and I understand why you think it should warn you in the subject or the first post.
  • Options
    oops, sorry bumblebee if i ruined the film for you. i never really thought to add the thread would contain spoilers. so sorry!!

as *raver* said anyway, the film is confusing, and you have to watch it a few times to get the gist of it, so this thread hopefully hasnt totally spoiled it for you

sorry again

xx