Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Shop Return Policies

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
OK this might be useful for all of us to know and some of you guys work in shops so will know the answer for your own shop.

Which Stores have the Best / Worst return Policy?

The king of returns has to be Costco - with the exception of computers you have unlimited time to return stuff and for any reason at all.

I've had 3 Digital Cameras from them - kept each one for about 8 months at a time - took them on holiday and returned them when a better model came out. One guy I know even said his friend bought a Lawn Mower from them - used it for two years and returned it for a full refund - and you don't even need an orignal reciept!!

Out of the supermarkets I reckon sainbury's is the worst and Tesco/Asda best.

Comments

• Options
    So many views and no one else with some inside info!!

Oh well this is useful if you're going on holiday from a BAA airport

3 month to take stuff back .. I bought a Camcorder using this offer - but kept it in the end cos it was a good deal at the time being tax free and all!!

http://www.baa.co.uk/main/airports/heathrow/shopping_eating/shopping_promise/refund_guarantee_page.html
  • Options
    Marks & Spencer
    Excellent bordering on the idiotic

When I worked at M&S on the customer services desk we accepted anything. Some examples:

1. A man brought back a very expensive box of chocolates, saying that when he had opened the box one chocolate was missing. We opened it up to find they were all missing. We asked what happened and he said that once one was missing he let his kids eat the rest because he thought they were worthless after that. He got a refund and a new box of chocs.

2. Woman bought some toiletries that came in a little suede style pouch. She used the pouch as a purse for some six months or so before the very flimsy handle broke. She got a replacement prouduct - the pouch and the toiletries!

3. Couple brought a bin back. They had had it for six years. The foot pedal that opens the bin had broken. They got a full refund.

4. Lots of people brought back items then had bought in the sale and claimed they had received them as xmas gifts. They were given gift vouchers to the full amount, which they then spent on wine etc for New Year.

5. Loads of people brought back all the presents their kids had got for xmas that had come from M&S, claiming things like "they don't fit" even though the kids were clearly upset that their things were being returned. One boy even told me outright that they did fit but his mum needed money for New Year drinking!
  • Options
    Originally posted by BumbleBee
    Loads of people brought back all the presents their kids had got for xmas that had come from M&S, claiming things like "they don't fit" even though the kids were clearly upset that their things were being returned. One boy even told me outright that they did fit but his mum needed money for New Year drinking!

:eek: Good grief. Some people!
  • Options
    I'm so angry at BillaBong's return policy.

THEY DON'T FUCKING DO REFUNDS. :mad:

I bought 2 pairs of shorts, total of 92 pounds. The shop was closing, so was forced to pay instead of try them on, there's me thinking that if they don't fit, I can bring them back.

Bring them in the next day to find the sales assistant giving me a £42 gift voucher. I was livid. What the hell do I do with gift vouchers? there's nothing else I want from Billabong, so now I've been cheated out of 42 Pounds.

I am never going to BillaBong ever again.

Blah. :mad: :mad: :mad:
  • Options
    :eek:
    That is awful! Why only £42?
  • Options
    There was a documentary on Channel 4 years ago about a women that went into M&S and nicked clothes and returned them days later and got M&S to give her money for them - because at the time I think M&S gave full cash refunded even if you didn't have a receipt.

When I was in Toronto there was a chain of stores called "consumers" and it was exactly like Argos in every way - where you shop via a book, etc - EXCEPT no 16 day refund policy - so if you bought someting you had to keep it - they went out of business because people didn't want to risk buying stuff they couldn't see, touch and feel and not have the option to return it. I think often what seems like generous returns policies are great sales tool and more often then not you end up keeping the item.
  • Options
    Originally posted by DiamondGeezer
    There was a documentary on Channel 4 years ago about a women that went into M&S and nicked clothes and returned them days later and got M&S to give her money for them - because at the time I think M&S gave full cash refunded even if you didn't have a receipt.
    Yep, we had that too. People would walk around the shop floor and come to the tills with armfulls of goods whilst pulling something out of an M&S carrier bag, thus making it look like they had just pulled all the other stuff out. We would refund them as usual pretending to believe them, only for them to be cornered before they left the store. :)