Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Mardy

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Anyone know the meaning? Ive recently come to realise its a Derby/Midland thing. It means 'got the ump' 'throw strop' 'got a bag on' (think this is derby slang too) etc get my meaning? So who knows, who doesnt? Who doesnt car?(f off then ;) ) and whats your word for this meaning?

Comments

• Options
    Yah I do. Midlands thing methinks.
  • Options
    When ya throw ya dummy out the pram innit? :p
  • Options
    Originally posted by *Lisa*
    When ya throw ya dummy out the pram innit? :p
    aye.....or ya toys....... ;)
  • Options
    We use mardy here too. Generally just..miserable and having a strop, yknow. What you said basically :)
  • Options
    'ere 'ere ducky, i is from leicester

yay, tis from leicester, but i have recently found out (rather to my shock and disheartenedment) and it is in fact now in the dictionary :(

mardy... it means, like... to have a mardy on! its, oh my god, its undescribable, i couldn't believe it when i went on holiday and noone had heard the word! its so used over here! (unlike 'duck' much to people's amazement).

erm, yeh, you're sort of right, its to throw a wobbly, have a strop... SULK! that's probably the best meaning of the word... to sulk :thumb:
  • Options
    thought that was just general english language?
    :confused:
  • Options
    Originally posted by badabing
    'ere 'ere ducky, i is from leicester

yay, tis from leicester, but i have recently found out (rather to my shock and disheartenedment) and it is in fact now in the dictionary :(

mardy... it means, like... to have a mardy on! its, oh my god, its undescribable, i couldn't believe it when i went on holiday and noone had heard the word! its so used over here! (unlike 'duck' much to people's amazement).

erm, yeh, you're sort of right, its to throw a wobbly, have a strop... SULK! that's probably the best meaning of the word... to sulk :thumb:

I know, I is right, I live in Derby...and always used the word...I find it strange when no one knows what it means :confused:
    i were born in London and went there recently, half family live there and they thought id made it up!
    ;):D
  • Options
    Originally posted by VinylVicky
    they thought id made it up!
    ;):D

tarts!!
  • Options
    Originally posted by badabing
    tarts!!

EXACTLY ;)
  • Options
    i say "mardy"

or if someons mardy, theyre a "stresshead"
  • Options
    blackness, i know your av from somewhere but can't quite think where... care to enlighten me?
  • Options
    it was on max's t.shirt in hollyoaks this morning!