Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Halls

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
When I was at uni staying in halls, no official people entered my room besides those concerned with maintainence, which was hardly ever. Which official people enter your room and roughly how often?

If someone wanted to stay in my room, I officially had to register them, although this didn't seem to be enforced, evidenced by a mate's girlfriend staying in his room for a year. Is this the same at your uni?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    when i was in halls, we had a cleaner come once a week, which was nice, but meant i had to get out of bed!

if you had someone to stay you were meant to tell the wardens but no-one ever did. it was funny when the fire alarms went off in the middle of the night, just to see who was staying in who's room - you'd see loads of guys come out in women's dressing gowns or girls in guy's t-shirts ;)
    Originally posted by KoolCat
    it was funny when the fire alarms went off in the middle of the night, just to see who was staying in who's room - you'd see loads of guys come out in women's dressing gowns or girls in guy's t-shirts ;)

God yeah. I remember in my first year, I was getting a bit frisky with my boyfriend, when the fire alarm went off. My mate Sonia was fire warden for our corridor and was banging on the door, while me and the other half were frantically getting dressed. We got out the room to discover all the fuss was over a piece of toast a few floors down :rolleyes: Ah the joys of hall life...

Yeah, I think we had to officially ask permission/let the warden or unit tutor know if we were having guests. I never did. I never used to sign out when I spent the night somewhere else either. Actually, thinking about it, I'm probably officially still living in Badock and the Hawthorns to this day, hehe.
    Our Fire Alarms used to go off about 2 to 4 times a week in the first year.

But it was a good way to meet people as we stood outside!!

You're not supposed to share your room but people did and there was no system for regsitering extra people .. worse thing was not allowed heaters..

Oh and the uni always lied and kept our deposits - saying things like the carpet was too dirty and needed to be replace for £200 - but when we went back the next year it was the same carpet!!
    Originally posted by Meryn
    I never used to sign out when I spent the night somewhere else either.
    We were supposed to sign out and leave an address and contact number where we could be contacted. At first I signed out every weekend, until I got "the talk" from the vice master saying I was going home far too often and wasn't making an effort to fit in (I live 10 miles from where I was living so I felt like going home - and why not?!)
    After that, I never signed out again.

We didn't have to ask permission to have someone stay over, but you were allowed one overnight guest three times a week at max. Nobody ever checked though.

We didn't have wardens or anything, but then again at a Durham College the system is a bit different. We were basically left to get on with it. Halls were catered and I can't imagine how they decided who lived with who, because I lived with a really mixed group. My room mate was a freak (sure she still is actually) and the rest of the people on my floor were a mixed bunch.

I hated it.
    Originally posted by BumbleBee
    At first I signed out every weekend, until I got "the talk" from the vice master saying I was going home far too often and wasn't making an effort to fit in (I live 10 miles from where I was living so I felt like going home - and why not?!)

That seems incredibly harsh, really it was none of his business. I also only live 15 miles away from uni, and it was nice being able to hop on a bus home whenever I wanted
    Originally posted by BumbleBee
    We didn't have to ask permission to have someone stay over, but you were allowed one overnight guest three times a week at max. Nobody ever checked though.

Actually, I'm not sure if we really were allowed people over - it said in the Badock handbook something like "guests may be entertained until 23.59 on weekdays and 02.00 at weekends". Yeah right. Again, noone ever checked