Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

when i was at school in the 60's ...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
we were told that technology was going to give us massive ammounts of leisure time. fewer working hours. easier life. less stress.
the reality ...people working longer hours ...then taking more work home with them. utility bills being messed up. fraud being bigger than ever. now they are going to make you work till your 70 before you get your pension as opposed to 65 ...what went wrong? will oit get worse?

Comments

• Options
    Probably will get worse but oh well thats life! Just smoke a spliff Rollie and don't worry about it! :yes:
  • Options
    Flake_MustaineFlake_Mustaine Posts: 1,261 Wise Owl
    i think it'll get worse.. then oneday everything'll just come to a total standstill...

Either that or we'll have a Terminator like scenario! :D
  • Options
    everything is going to get worse and worse and worse until someday it all explodes and the machines take over :p
  • Options
    Originally posted by Mz Stonedalot
    Probably will get worse but oh well thats life! Just smoke a spliff Rollie and don't worry about it! :yes:
    i'm not worrying about it stone ...i'm wondering if you lot are worrying about it or have even noticed. the future is yours not mine.
  • Options
    the future is the the future, i think about now, let the future come and see what it brings, hopefully better cannabis :)
  • Options
    Originally posted by Shogun
    the future is the the future, i think about now, let the future come and see what it brings, hopefully better cannabis :)
    back to topic for a moment ...the promised increased leisure time became known as unemployment and poverty.
    will your pension not be available till your 80 ...90? maybe the pension will be done away with and you'll just work till you drop.
  • Options
    Originally posted by morrocan roll
    back to topic for a moment ...the promised increased leisure time became known as unemployment and poverty.
    will your pension not be available till your 80 ...90? maybe the pension will be done away with and you'll just work till you drop.

pensions wont be done away with.....not just yet anyway. and this working till your 70 bollox is just another way for the government to get more money and power.
  • Options
    Originally posted by morrocan roll
    or have even noticed.

I have to say I haven't really noticed, which is bad! I suppose judging by what has happened it is likely that things will continue to get worse but theres little anyone can do really! :(
  • Options
    For some people it came true, some people for instance use technology to work from home rather then spend hours in traffic driving to the office, they can have their PC hooked up to the internet and their phones redirected to home and work from there.

I bet there are many jobs that are based in offices that could be done from home or even from your laptop as you lay on the beach getting some sun!! With Wireless networks and GSM and all that you could do many jobs from anywhere.

It's a national standard inthe wetsern world to have 5 days of work and two days off (the weekend) - if we all agreed to say Wednesdays off I bet we'd have more time for leisure - that's how it was at Uni - we had every wednesday off!! - worked out quite well.
  • Options
    Having every Wednesday off would be a brilliant idea, that still happens in my area, some shops close on a wednesday, it can be a bit annoying sometimes whenever you need things on a wednesday, only smaller shops close, not the bigger shops that sell everyday needs.