Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Gap Year

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Sorry, i know i already posted this in the Travel forum, but wanted to put it here in case people who don't normally go to Travel had something relevant to say! (I'm probably wrong, and no-one will reply anyway)

I am considering taking a gap year before uni, as i want to do something different and experience a different culture, instead of staying on the education treadmill without a break for another 3/4 years. If anyboday can answer any of the following questions, it would be good!

1. Has anybody taken a gap year?
2. Would you suggest taking it before or after university?
3. What did you do, where did you go?
4. Would you recommend it?
5. How did you pay/finance the trip?
6. What do you feel you gained out of the year?
7. How did you find adjusting to academic work after a year of freedom?
8. Did you feel disadvantaged or out of place as you were in the yeargroup behind what you would have been in if you hadn't takn a year out?

Comments

• Options
    hav just finished college, and am on one. wasnt planning on going travelling, but might do

Go before. its a great opportunity, and otherwise, as you say, you would have been in education continusouly for almost all your life. most, in fact nearly all don't mind, and some even perfer it.

People i now are going all over the place: America, Canada, Australia, the far east etc etc. you can also do some volenteer work in this country, if you dont want to gop abroad.
    Personally, i'm getting a full time job to save up some money for uni.

cant help on this one

i think most people have already saved up money from working whilst still at college, but some work full time for about 6 or 9 months and go travelling with the money they've earned.

cant help on these either :(

8. Did you feel disadvantaged or out of place as you were in the yeargroup behind what you would have been in if you hadn't takn a year out?

as i said, most unis dont mind, and with so many people takin years out, there will be people the same age as you at uni.
  • Options
    Re: Gap Year
    Originally posted by Luce

Yes. Lots of people :p

Definitely before. After you will most likely have no money and want or need to get down to work, unless you have rich parents.

Worked for some of it, then travelled to Egypt, Thailand, Australia and New Zealand.

Absolutely.

By working first, and using a credit card. It's very expensive.

Chance to visit some amazing countries and places, meet some interesting people, broaden horizons, gain confidence, challenge myself, etc. etc.

Pretty easy to be honest, though I did spend a year doing the wrong course as a result.

Not in the least. Things are different at uni. It's not all people the same age, there are all kinds of ages in the same year group. Plus, going on a big trip gives you world experience that some people simply don't have. If anything, I felt that some of the people on the course were a bit naive, and that it was more difficult to find a group of people who were on the same level, but this was partly due to experiencing other things before uni, too.
  • Options
    Ah the gap year. Sorry (well, that is a lie!) but I don't really see the point, unless mummy and daddy are going to finance you. I would never have been able to afford it and spending months in a foreign country on my own has never really appealed to me.
    One of my friends took a gap year - she worked full time as a law clerk in order to finance going to university. I reckon those kind of gap years are far more important and teach you far more about life than swanning about in the outback.
  • Options
    Originally posted by BumbleBee
    Ah the gap year. Sorry (well, that is a lie!) but I don't really see the point, unless mummy and daddy are going to finance you. I would never have been able to afford it and spending months in a foreign country on my own has never really appealed to me.
    One of my friends took a gap year - she worked full time as a law clerk in order to finance going to university. I reckon those kind of gap years are far more important and teach you far more about life than swanning about in the outback.

Hmm each to their own I suppose.