Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Linux for a 486 Laptop?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
My friend has given me his old colour 486 Laptop - it did have windows 95 on it but it kind of screwed up .. It's only got 8mb of RAM and 300 mb hard drive and no CD ROM - I tried a 5gb drive in it but it refused to boot and there's no company name on it so little hope of upgrading BIOS or anything.

I have an original windows 95 CD but it doesn't seem to work I transferred the files to a 300 mb flash drive and tried to install that way but little luck - I think the CD is scratched a lot and some files are corrupted and can't find win95 on kazaa

So I'm think perhap of installing Linux - I want the laptop to be used with an external serial modem for internet and email access only. Don't need it for anything else!!

Any recommendations?

Comments

• Options
    i can only think of one thing to do.... get yourself one of these:

1800154.jpg

sorry, a 486 laptop aint gonna do you much good at all.
  • Options
    as Eul says, it won't be much good.

The kernel is now optimised for i586/686/similar machines.
    If you could get rid of an old kernel etc. then it might work.
    But that's a pain in the arse :p
  • Options
    I've got a 486 laptop and it might be slow, but it can be done! It cant cope with more than a 1gb hard drive, which is why your laptop might have also had probs. What I did was, stipped the hard drive (well, you need a boot disk/copy of win95 to actually go much further than that :) ) ran a direct cable connection to my main computer with a famale to female serial cable (check your laptop has a serial port, it should have, its where the printer connects) - The cable is available from maplin or maybe pc world.
    then i mapped the hard drive onto my main computer (i called it z drive..) and installed win95 on that way. The mapped drive means that you dont need to put all the install files onto your laptop (they wont fit) and you are left with a nice shiny OS (albeit quite slow.) It takes HOURS!!! And if you want to surf any decent websites you need IE 4 or preferably 5. Still, goes to show it can be done! You can also install programs using a mapped drive (like word etc.)

Still...after all that...linux takes up less space and is just as good as long as youre happy with it, and learning linux to its full potential means you may wel be rich one day :)