Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Sep 11th - Do you remember where you were?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm watching a programme on New York and it got me thinking that when JFK was shot in Dallas people say it's one of those moments where you'll always remember where you were when you first heard the news.. I'm not old enough to have been around when he got shot so I was thinking September 11th will probabaly be the day for me where I remember where I was when I heard the news.

At the time I was on holiday in East Africa, and watching TV when I switched to CNN just after the first plane hit - I remember the reporters saying we think an accident has ocurred .. then the 2nd plane went in and they said the same thing and I remember thinking "How stupid are you guys .. don't you relise when you're being attacked!!"

We then spent the whole day glued to the TV set.

So what about yourselves? Where were you, how did you hear from TV, Radio, a friend?

Comments

• Options
    @ work, working for shitty BTopenworld
  • Options
    I had just got out of school and my friends dad told me the news and then when i got home i put on cnn and started to watch, didn't really see it as a big issue though,I did sit and watch it though everyday, it was interesting.
  • Options
    Originally posted by VinylVicky
    @ work, working for shitty BTopenworld

lol id never even heard of the twin towers til that day
  • Options
    Got home from school, got a txt from a friend telling me to turn the tv on, so I did. Sooo interesting.. lol
  • Options
    I'd got home from school, it was a sunny day and mum was on the sofa glued to the telly.
  • Options
    Originally posted by HunnyPot
    I'd got home from school, it was a sunny day and mum was on the sofa glued to the telly.

same here :yes:
  • Options
    I was in the sixth form common room watching neighbours when it happened,
    everyone was like
    :crazyeyes:crazyeyes:crazyeyes:crazyeyes

never did watch that episode :(
  • Options
    i was off school ill,and id got up and put the telly on to watch tweenies:(
  • Options
    I was at work and someone mentioned something about it. Spent the rest of the day finding working news web sites.
  • Options
    I can remember exactly what I was doing. I was in town with my mum, in Top Shop and my now ex phoned me to tell me a plane had crashed into the twin towers. I didn't realise how serious it was til we got home and put the news on. Was so scary cos my Dad was supposed to be staying in the world trade centre that day but had cancelled at the last minute cos of me moving Uni houses :eek2:
  • Options
    Its one day I can never forget, its Becks B'day. I went to pick her up from school and I found out in the school playground then had to go home and be happy for all her friends who were comingto her party :(
  • Options
    Ha. I was on the computer on the Internet when Princess Di's Death was announced. I told some other people online and they didn't believe me.

Then I watched it on the news. And left a note for my parents to read about it for some reason. :/
  • Options
    Originally posted by Mist
    And left a note for my parents to read about it for some reason. :/
    My hubby had been doing night shift and came in at 7:00am, Id just got out of bed and he told me.
  • Options
    shortly before it happened i was making a very discreet exit through a fire escape while the health and safety executive were raiding certain premises ...no i won't go into it thankyou.
    on the way home i recieved a message saying a train had crashed into a tower in america in a terrorist attack ...ughh?
    got home in time to witness the second one crash. all sorts of reports and rumours flying around the news channels. i was dumbstruck. i was in a state of shock for about a week.
    i pressumed then and still do that americans are behind this attack.
  • Options
    I'd just gotten in from schooland my mate told me to put the telly on.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Mist
    Then I watched it on the news. And left a note for my parents to read about it for some reason. :/

I left my parents a note when Diana died aswell! I was going to my friends when I saw it on telly as I was getting dressed and they were out so I left them a note cos I knew they wouldn't see it til the evening otherwise!
  • Options
    Originally posted by Pliskin
    :eek: :eek: Bejesus! That must've been bloody awful for you..

I couldn't have coped with that.. Don't know what I would've done :(

Glad everything was okay though :)

Yeah he would have been staying on the 60 something floor that day cos that's where his work owned an apartment and we know he'd def still have been sleeping cos his plane would have got in at 4am. He only cancelled the trip a few days before, like I said cos I had to move Uni house and needed his help. It was horrible just the thought of it, and still makes me really scared just thinking about it! But yeah, was all ok *thankgod*
  • Options
    Interesting, may I ask what makes you think that?
    the worst and most shocking terrorist attack on american soil before 9/11 was the oklahoma bombing. the american government had solid proof that colonel gadaffi of libya was behind it so went and bombed the shit out of tripoli, actualy killing some of gadaffi's own family as well as thousands of other inocents and millions of dollars worth of damage.
    i said then that it was more likely to be american terrorists of the christian right wing who are terrified that one day the united nations will be the most influential power on earth and be dictating things to america. the famous charlton heston being one of their supporters.
    "don't be stupid mr roll ...americans wouldn't do that to americans".
    a few months down the line they arrest timothy mcvee of the right wing christian malitia ....again supported by charlton heston ...it was an american group, seems i was right then.
    couple of years down the line the bush family who have very close ties with the bin laden family and big oil and armaments companys are putting their dumb son forward for presidency ...oh my god...
    ....here come the united nations hating right wing christians with a war agenda. everyone who had even a faint understanding of the bush family and their cronies, were saying that if the bush family and fellow crooks gey the whitehose again there will be wars all over the place, one place after another. america would tear up this agreement and that. people were dreading these crooks getting into power. even the result was fixed ...where is al gore? the loser doesn't just shut up and disapear into the background like this ...
    bush wanted to destroy the united nations amongst many other mad agendas.
    history will show that the right wing christians are AGAIN behind americas worst ever terrorist attack. this time 9/11
  • Options
    Very interesting indeed.. **Scratches bum fluff on chin**
    very true and very frightening.
    just before 9/11 george bush spoke to the nation and said that the twenty first century was going to be the american century and ANYONE ...who got in their way would be considered an enemy of america. he went on to tell the world that in the past america had always looked at a nuclear strike as a last resort but ...that was now in the past. he went on to say that america would not hesitate to use nuclear weapons against russia, china, anyone who threatened americas plans.
    we were all ...'this guys fucking mad! you can't go round threatening to nuke china and stuff for fucks sake!' it was all soon forgotten and passed off as bush being fucking bonkers ...then the heart was ripped out of america. the bush government are now, under new anti terrorist laws the most powerful and frightening administration ever. they have rewritten or torn up a lot of the american peoples freedoms. if you read political news, or even pop into the politics forum here you will read of the growing number of arrests without trial within america, under the home securities act. it's becoming like nazi germany. they have so much power that no one can or will stand up to them.
  • Options
    I was sat in geog at school when it happened.

School... the good old days.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Faith
    Yeah he would have been staying on the 60 something floor that day cos that's where his work owned an apartment and we know he'd def still have been sleeping cos his plane would have got in at 4am. He only cancelled the trip a few days before, like I said cos I had to move Uni house and needed his help. It was horrible just the thought of it, and still makes me really scared just thinking about it! But yeah, was all ok *thankgod*

My Aunt lives in Kenya and works for the US Library of Congress and often visits the US Embassy there - she was due to go there one day to deliver some papers after work and in the end changed her mind and went home and was going to deliver the papers the following morning .. the same day the embassey was blown up!! She had a lucky escape too!
  • Options
    i was in religion in school (aww) when loads of my mates got texts fo their b/fs telling them that new york was under attack. didn't think anyhting else of it till i got on the bus home and heard it on the news. was freaked out. kept looking up in the sky for planes all day. went home and glued myself to sky news.

princess diana - was in my nanny's house and got up and my little bro was watching telly and told me. i din't believe him at the time but he turned on the news. was like...fuck.
  • Options
    you're more aware of them?
  • Options
    I was at school, was my mates B'day. I only heard about it all on the radio at 4 PM on the way home. Scarey as my school is right under the flight path of Stanstead!

Bopz
  • Options
    Originally posted by eefs
    you're more aware of them?
    that made me laugh eefs.
  • Options
    I am sure I'm not the only one to be like this, but ever since 9/11 I've really noticed planes when they flew overhead. Like before it, an aeroplane flying overhead would have gone unnoticed, I wouldn't have given any thought to it whatsoever. But since 9/11 anytime there's been one flying overhead then I've actually noticed it.

I'm sure there's a better way to explain it than that, with better wording too. But do you guys understand what I mean?

I`ve spent most of my life living a mile away from Boscombe Down so if I looked up every time a plane flew over I`d be like Quasimodo`s sister by now.

I was just at home with my little`un and it was on tv in the afternoon. That`s all.
  • Options
    Originally posted by morrocan roll
    that made me laugh eefs.

why? did i sound dumb again? :confused: prolly did.
  • Options
    Originally posted by eefs
    why? did i sound dumb again? :confused: prolly did.
    not at all dumb. wotsisface was struggling to say in many words what you said in so few.
  • Options
    oh right :D:lol: that's ok then. thought i'd embarassed meself.
  • Options
    Sept 11 - was the last day of my syummer hols so was at home just sat at kitchen table tryin to finish homework, my mum was cleaning and we'd had cd's on all day. My mum got a text thru on her phone looked at it & just ran into the sitting room and switched on the tv, i followed to see what was happening and they were just showing footage of the second plane crashing. I thought it was for a movie or tv show at first and was sooo shocked and freaked out when it wasnt. We just sat and watched it for the rest of the day. My friend had just been in New York, she'd flown home the day before so i rang her and we watched it while on the phone to each other.

Diana - i remember waking up rather early and going downstairs to watch tv. BBC1 & BBC2 had the same 'serious' looking show and ITV 3 & channel 4 (we didnt have sky then) looked like news so i just switched off and went back to bed. I didnt find out til i got up again 2 hours later and my mum told me