Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Outright Ban on Hunting

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
All I can say is ummm.... wow! Rather shocking development I just happened across on BBC from their Westminster correspondent. Seems the Commons has just carried a bill for the complete ban on hunting by a large majority.

Its expected to be resisted by the Lords but, without having any personal interest in the subect myself, Im curious to hear what our UK poster have to say on this breaking news.

Will we see massive uproar sweeping the countryside? Will politicians be losing their seats in the next election over this?

Interesting development given what I recall of my own consituency's views (years ago when I worked for a British MEP in the European Parliament) about animal welfare issues.

Comments

• Options
    There have been previous votes approving a ban and each time the House of Lords has rejected it. I think it'd be a safe bet to assume this time will not be any different.

I'm still not very familiar with the British parliamentary system but I get the impression that change is made very difficult indeed. The Lords can reject anything a number of times before the Parliament Act can be used. Pressure is put on the government as people accuse them of waiting lots of parliament time trying to pass a piece of legislation when there are more urgent issues at hand. On many occasions the government simply gives up on the issue or postpones it until the next term, by which time the opposition might be in power and the whole issue is forgotten about.

This is particularly infuriating with issues like fox hunting because a very sizeable majority of the Commons supports an outright ban, as does the majority of the public according to every poll conducted on the issue. Yet you get a chamber of elderly upper class toffs disconnected with reality and the pulse of the nation who refuse to vow to popular sentiment and keep blocking anything they don't approve of. Like for example the removal of the homophobic Section 28 legislation, which gets shot down at the Lords whenever it's presented there.

I don't know about other countries but I would imagine Britain passes fewer laws than any other democracy in Europe. It is frankly quite astonishing how many times can a proposed law be delayed, blocked or returned.
  • Options
    I doubt it'll get through the Hous of Lords, but if it doesn't, then I'll be there to protest on Boxing day, hold up flags and yell at the 'civilised' people on their poncy horses.
  • Options
    They have hunt clubs in the wealthy areas of NJ where people dress up, ride horses across estates and hunt little foxes to feel wealthy and connected to English royalty.

All I can say is show me an equestrian event...and I'll show you a horse's ass. :D

*bows*
  • Options
    Do they hunt with dogs as well? Is that legal then?
  • Options
    Yup. The same breed of dogs as the English do. Same riding outfits. In fact, a lot of the families trace their histories back to England. (Like the Bush family does.)
  • Options
    Actually Al, when I was in college back in the States, I worked as a bartender for a time at a country club (in the hometown of General Patton actually) which conducted Fox Hunts along the proper British model.

What I recall is that the golf grounds staff loathed the hunters because they would spend weeks priming the green for the golf season only to have it torn apart by hordes of horses and dogs racing to and fro just to corner the damn fox.

The sound of the hounds constantly barking in their kennels was also an endless annoyance for those of us working in the clubhouse.

I much preferred when they used the horses for polo matches. Much more civilised Ive always thought.
  • Options
    I feel hunting should be legal. People should have the freedom to hunt.
  • Options
    Please don't tell me they used Land Rovers as well! :lol:

Monocrat, do you believe in the right to burn a forest to the ground for entertainment purposes (provided no people are hurt and no private property destroyed)?
  • Options
    Originally posted by monocrat
    I feel hunting should be legal. People should have the freedom to hunt.

Good for you, I agree in a way, I've suggested to my MP that he put forward an amendment with bans huunting foxes etc with dogs (because basically it's barbaric and unnecessary) but to prevent job lossess etc (which the pro-hunting lobby claim will happen) they allow hunting of libertarians who make inane comments on discussion boards :)
  • Options
    ROFLMAO!!!

Cant we use dogs for those???
  • Options
    Originally posted by Man Of Kent
    Good for you, I agree in a way, I've suggested to my MP that he put forward an amendment with bans huunting foxes etc with dogs (because basically it's barbaric and unnecessary) but to prevent job lossess etc (which the pro-hunting lobby claim will happen) they allow hunting of libertarians who make inane comments on discussion boards :)

Why is barbarity of consequence?

No one's rights are infringed by hunting (and before you say the animal's are, well animals don't have rights to be upheld).
  • Options
    So please answer: would you say people have the right to burn down a forest if no humans were hurt and no property destroyed?
  • Options
    What's the point of this question?

Did my statement offend you? :rolleyes:
  • Options
    i don't hunt or fish. but i support those who wish to. banning hunting is 'fashionable' not enlightened.
    can't smoke this or that. can't hunt. can't fish. how about concentrating on protecting peoples rights first. how about building a working transport structure etc and while we're doing it have some weekend pursuits to enjoy ourselves with. you'll be banning rat catching next! oh no rats don't look cute so don't have rights. the fact a rat is far more inteligent and complex than a fucking wild dog doesn't count for much then?
  • Options
    I believe all living things have the right to hunt in natural surroundings for survival. You have to be pretty sick to enjoy hunting down a small creature and have your dogs rip it to shreds. I dont see the logic in it. It makes me really upset thinking about this and believe me not many things get to me.
    Its a real clear, bad reflection on people that do this, support this and enjoy it.
  • Options
    man has always enjoyed blood sports.
    we are being reduced to digital entertainment and psycoactive chemicals only ...
  • Options

Good idea! Let's make the rich dress up in fox coats and hunt them. Now that's a sport matey!:thumb:
  • Options
    Originally posted by morrocan roll
    we are being reduced to digital entertainment and psycoactive chemicals only ...
    Maybe were evolving (slowly) to something better
  • Options
    Originally posted by pnjsurferpoet
    Good idea! Let's make the rich dress up in fox coats and hunt them. Now that's a sport matey!:thumb:

:lol: I agree!!
  • Options
    What's the point of this question?

Did my statement offend you? :rolleyes:

Not at all. I actually find it extremely funny.

You see, there might be valid arguments for keeping fox hunting legal, such as keeping the species under control and so on (although I don't agree with them) but to say that fox hunting should be kept legal out of the people's right to hunt is- no offence- frankly ridiculous.

So I'm just trying to establish whether you apply the same principle to other things, such as burning a forest, out of pure curiosity. To see whether you would draw the line at anything or you genuinely believe that human beings have undeniable rights to do everything they want.

So, tell me: I like fire and would find burning a forest to the ground very amusing and interesting. Can I count on your support to be allowed to exercise my ‘right’ to burn it down?
  • Options
    Personally I don't see where people get there enjoyment of riding out 100 strong with dogs in tow to "hunt" down a single animal. But then again I also think that sticking a man (or woman) on the back of a horse and making it run round in circles or jumping over fences is also cruel.
  • Options
    Originally posted by NinjaMaster
    But then again I also think that sticking a man (or woman) on the back of a horse and making it run round in circles or jumping over fences is also cruel.
    I used to think this but then I met somebody who has horses and they love it! I dont agree with big races like the Grand National though.
  • Options
    Originally posted by VinylVicky
    I used to think this but then I met somebody who has horses and they love it! I dont agree with big races like the Grand National though.

I've heard the argument before as well. Horses love all that running around and jumping over things. "It's all natural. They do it when running free in nature". But to have someone sit on their back, stick boots in their ribs and whip them. Hardly seems like fun to me.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Aladdin
    Not at all. I actually find it extremely funny.

You see, there might be valid arguments for keeping fox hunting legal, such as keeping the species under control and so on (although I don't agree with them) but to say that fox hunting should be kept legal out of the people's right to hunt is- no offence- frankly ridiculous.

And you stating what freedoms a person can or cannot have is equally ridiculous.
    So I'm just trying to establish whether you apply the same principle to other things, such as burning a forest, out of pure curiosity. To see whether you would draw the line at anything or you genuinely believe that human beings have undeniable rights to do everything they want.

Well with freedom comes responsiblity.
    So, tell me: I like fire and would find burning a forest to the ground very amusing and interesting. Can I count on your support to be allowed to exercise my ‘right’ to burn it down?

Non sequitur.
  • Options
    And you stating what freedoms a person can or cannot have is equally ridiculous.
    Mmm I don't know. Like you said with freedom comes responsibility. I am perfectly happy to state for example that no individual has the right to own a nuclear weapon. And excuse my smugness but I can assure you I am right about that.
  • Options
    Well thats a pretty universal given, Al. Since possession of a nuclear weapon is illegal for private individuals in every country, as far as I know.
  • Options
    Yes I know, but if memory serves Monocrat suggested once that under libertarian/anarcho-capitalist views individuals should be allowed to own nuclear weapons. I can't remember for sure if it was him, but I cannot think of anyone else who is a libertarian or talks about anarcho-capitalists in here.

Edited to add: Sorry for going so much off topic now. Fox hunting to nuclear weapons! Still, it all boils down to 'rights' doesn't it? :D
  • Options
    Originally posted by Creeper
    I doubt it'll get through the Hous of Lords, but if it doesn't, then I'll be there to protest on Boxing day, hold up flags and yell at the 'civilised' people on their poncy horses.

Me too. If it does get through though it's a good developement in our society. If it doesn't I think there will be an overwhealming response with protests all over the UK like were saw with the war portests, though maybe not as big.
  • Options
    Originally posted by VinylVicky
    Maybe were evolving (slowly) to something better
    it seems the opposite to me vicky. maybe were devolving. relying to much on our fancy inventions which usualy bring us benefits with a lurking threat. we are becoming over reliant on things rather than self and each other. things that break. we are becoming softer and stupider rather than tougher and wiser. foxes may look cute but they are vermin. you want free range eggs but alow foxes a free run of the countryside?
    they will end up being shot, gassed, poisoned so they will be killed by man anyway. we have to kill to stay healthily at the top. kill cockroaches, rats, wasps etc ...but if it's got a cute face ...
    and how are they going to police it?
  • Options
    I can't understand why anyone would believe that hunting with dogs is acceptable.

It is cruel and barbaric. The fox population is not kept "in check" at all by hunting with dogs. As the pro hunt lobby themselves claim, they do not always catch a fox. Therefore, I must question how this keeps the fox population under control. Simply put, it doesn't.

Pro-hunt campaigners argue that foxes kill chickens and other animals kept on farms etc. The simple anser to that is make sure they can't. A fox will kill - it is natural for it to do so, in the same way it is nautral for a dog to bark. If humans put wildlife where it can be got at by a fox then a fox will get at it. Who is to blame? The human who did not protect their wildlife.

I can see no reason whatsoever why fox hunting should continue. It is a sick and outdated "sport" and I really fail to comprehend why people advocate it. I really am puzzled.