Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Quantum Physis and Your Mind...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Ok, NOT to be associated with the time travel thread (I am not arguing the existence of Jesus!)

Basically there are some pretty strange head-f*ck theories out there...
like when light shone through slits in cardboard is measured in a lab, there is interference in the light photons which scientists believe can only be explained by it being photons from another universe interfering with the ones in this universe.:confused:

And that for every action we make there are infinite universes in which every choice and outcome is simulated - meaning billions of universes where you might have decided upon a different uni - or been bald..or...anything!!!!

Also the theory that something can be alive and dead at the same time - for example a guy called Schroedinger got a cat, put it in a box, shot some radons (or whatever, im no scientist!!) at the box in which it had 50% chance of being absorbed or killing the cat. So until the box is opened the cat is both alive and dead (the theory being that it only happens when the box is opened and the outcome can be seen)

Argh! Someone explain, my brain hurts!!!!:crazyeyes

Kits:eek: :confused: :crazyeyes :eek2:

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Re: Quantum Physis and Your Mind...
    Originally posted by KittyKat

Argh! Someone explain, my brain hurts!!!!:crazyeyes

Don't worry about it, it's just quantum.

Besides, in a parallel universe, you already understand it.
    Which parts don't you understand exactly?
    mainly the cat one...i mean it is alive or dead, isnt it, it isnt both....
    ...just because we dont know doesnt mean it isnt alive or dead in there..i mean...:eek2:
    and the parallel universe one...in a parallel universe wouldnt someone have proven it is true..and then built a machine to hop between the universes, and if I saw them would we both explode?!
    Re: Quantum Physis and Your Mind...

what a load of ballcocks! these people get paid for smoking this shit ...?
    it's been proven...apparently

But it is both until you open the box, though not in a literal sense of course :p
    and the parallel universe one...in a parallel universe wouldnt someone have proven it is true..and then built a machine to hop between the universes, and if I saw them would we both explode?!

The theory goes that time is the only constant linking the universes, so perhaps noone of the universes are technologically advanced enough to do so.

But then again, maybe they have proven it, but just haven't yet found a way to travel between the universes.

Or, maybe they have, but have also proven that any attempt to travel between them will collapse the multiverse.

Or maybe they have discovered a means of travelling within the multiverse but can't let anyone in any alternating universes' know, as it will affect the balance between them.

Or, maybe they've discovered how to travel between the universes but just haven't got to ours yet. After all, there would be an infinte number of them.
    I love all this stuff. Its mindboggling but really really interesting thinking about it.
    ...just because we dont know doesnt mean it isnt alive or dead in there..i mean...:eek2:

Why not? Anyway it`s not so much because we don`t know what has happened inside the box as it hasn`t happened until it is observed.

(You do understand that this was a thought experiment don`t you? I mean, I`m just wondering because you said that Schrodinger "took a cat and put it in a box" - well not literally he didn`t).

Let me tell you about a couple of interesting experiments, if you didn`t already know.

The Schrodinger`s Cat experiment is based on the theory that consciousness collapses wave functions within an atom, i.e. no elementary phenomenon is a phenomenon until it is a registered phenomenon.

An experiment was performed in Colorado in 1989 where the observer effect was tested by sealing highly charged particles inside a magnetic bottle which prevented their escape. Their responses could be observed by firing a laser through an EM field and viewing the result.

Well guess the outcome. The degree to which the particles made quantum leaps depended on the extent that someone used a laser to observe them making these changes.

A scanning tunnelling microscope was used in the IBM lab in California in an experiment where the object was to physically move 35 atoms to spell out the letters IBM on a thin piece of nickel. You might have seen pictures of that. What nobody expected to happen was that a `quantum mirage` was produced. In effect the manipulation of atom sized objects produced a ghostly reflection of the electrons in a single atom, projected into a different, statistically predictable location where the real atom never was.

The ghost atom is in some ways, really there. It seems that the mirage has real enough properties to make it possible for it to interact with a real atom, so that you would get a molecule that isn`t bonded in any physical way, but real nonetheless.

Maybe virtual worlds don`t seem quite so unlikely after all?
    wow......this is all getting rather heavy isnt it? talking of boxes though...what's with pandora's box? does that have other universes (whatever) in it. and does an alternative universe = and alternative reality?
    oooh so deep,
    The Silly String
    Originally posted by sillystring
    talking of boxes though...what's with pandora's box? does that have other universes (whatever) in it.

You do know that's not real, right?
    does an alternative universe = and alternative reality?

You weren't paying attention, were you?