Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

english lit. gcse coursework argh!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
sick of shakespeare, glad the guys ded !!!

wonder if ne1 has ne tips for writing english lit. essays for gcse's; and also if they wanna help me on this question on Othello, if ne of u guys have done this play in the past :D

the question they've asked me is:

"discuss Shakespeare's presentation of Othello - a 'savage and a monster' or a 'romantic and heroic' warrior."

any help wud b greatly appreciated as i need to keep my gcse average @ A* for coursework ive done :D
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Shakespeare is agggggghhh, shit i hate it.:mad:

Sorry couldn't help you with anything on him, its just too fucking boring.
  • Options
    Re: english lit. gcse coursework argh!

• Options
    i did othello and I got an A so it can't b that bad :D if you want any help just ask :D
  • Options
    Re: english lit. gcse coursework argh!
    Originally posted by solid_L
    any help wud b greatly appreciated as i need to keep my gcse average @ A* for coursework ive done :D
    How??? :confused: Your standard of English use is very very poor!
    i did othello and I got an A so it can't b that bad if you want any help just ask
    Erm, s/he did ask? Didn't you read the question?

Ok, I will try:
    "discuss Shakespeare's presentation of Othello - a 'savage and a monster' or a 'romantic and heroic' warrior."
    Remember you have to argue both sides and give examples. I personally would argue that Othello displays both charachteristics but that his natural nature is a romantic and heroic warrier. This could be refuted by the fact that no warrier would allow themselves to be manipulated by Iago, but I would them counter that claim by arguing that he was under immense emotional "torture" at the hands of Iago.

Find examples of where Othello is romantic and heroic. Towards the beginning of the play Othello is almost certainly romantic - the way that he treats Desdemona with love is very romantic. The very fact that he has travelled so far as a general (or whatever he is!) shows that he is an heroic warrier.

Move on to show that perhaps Othello always had savage tendencies - he is nasty to Desdemona when he thinks she has lost his handkerchief. This is early on - before the seeds of doubt are placed in his mind about her fidelity. Then move on to discuss some other incidents - namely the main scene in which he murders Desdemona. What is driving him? Are these the actions of a romantic and heroic man? Surely not! However, you could point out that Iago has played mind games with him and this has caused that state on mind. You could also argue the other way of course, that no warrier and hero would allow themselves to be manipulated and would have the strength of heart to resist Iago's attempts to make him insane.

You could also write a bit about Othello's background - because of his race he is often taunted and looked down on. Perhaps this has weaked his mind and left him more susceptible to Iago's plots and schemes?

Hope this helps. :)
  • Options
    I really hope I didn't spend ages typing all of that out for you never to come back and read it. :crazyeyes
  • Options
    thanx loads bumble :D great help, soz i didnt reply to thank you before, forgot to check this board out: but read it now and ill start writing my essay up, thanks loads :D:D:D:D
  • Options
    Um........ Rememeber to use quotes! And make sure that you stick to the question don't stray from the point to much. That's the advice my teacher gave anyway.

But I have no idea about that shakespeare play, I did Romeo + Juliet.
  • Options
    we did how do julioets emotions change in act something or another, it was a piece of piss
  • Options
    by now I am guessing that you've done the work so sorry if I'm late in replying

Just wanted to say I studied Othello at school .... I will admit straight away I didn't do the question you have been assigned but I think for this question you need to put points for both and then put your overall opinion into the essay concluding with which one you think Othello is