Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Blood tests

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Are they painful? what do they involve? im just wondering because i went to my doctor today about stress/depression and im getting a blood test next week. Any help would be great thanks.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    No, they don't hurt - small pin prick.
    You just have to sit down, roll your sleeve up and they'll dab you over with an anti septic wipe in the crook of your arm. Normally they'll put a fabric strap thing around the top of your arm quite tightly (not painful) and ask you to clench your fist so they can find a vein. You can look away and then they'll tell you when to expect the slight sting. They just attatch a small tube to the end of the needle and take some blood out - sometimes they'll need more but they'll just switch the tubes, which you wouldn't notice unless they told you, or you were looking.
    Doesn't hurt at all when the needle is in - if you're squeamish you'll probably want to look away. It doesn't take very long.
    You'll have to hold a bit of cotton wool over it for about 20 seconds whewn they'll finished, then they'll either stick a plaster on or a bit of tape over the cotton wool to keep it covered for an hour or so.

It's hugely routine, but can be a bit scary the first time. Just let them know it's your first time (o-er, obviously) and they should let you know what they're doing as they go along.

Hope you get it all sorted.
    To be honest it's horrible the first time. But your reaction all depends on how squeamish you are; if you're fine with injections, you should be ok.

When I had one done I was already really ill with glandular fever, so having blood drawn made me feel even worse. But any faint sensation dies down after a few moments.

It's just like Smash described. I would suggest looking away though, just to take your mind of it. Your arm may feel a bit weird and heavy for a while afterwards, but it doesn't last long.

Sorry hope I haven't freaked you out or anything - it isn't that bad at all. Good luck, I hope everything goes ok. :)
    It's really not too bad, I had another blood test yesterday. I don't mind them, but never look at the needle - I always look in the other direction! The nurse that did mine at the hospital was really good, and really aware of how people feel about blood tests! Just make sure you tell whoever it is immediately if you feel at all faint, and they'll let you lie down. My blood test yesterday was a bit of a faff, cos my veins aren't very obvious and she had a bit of trouble getting the blood, but even then it didn't hurt. I think it's more the anticipation that scares people! So don't worry, you'll be fine and soon be wondering what all the fuss was about! ;)
    Depends if you are hard to get blood out of like me. I'm sure all will be fine. Just tell yourself it doesnt hurt. You would be amazed how much it helps.
    its not sore just a little nip. i get blood taken frequently at the hospital as im diabetic. i dont particularly like it because im squeamish at the thought(even though i take 4 injections a day) but its over before you know it. try and relax about it as getting tense will only make it worse. take deep breaths during it and you will be fine. i first got blood taken when i was 9 and i was fine, not even a tear.
    GOOD LUCK :)
    Tell the person thats going to do it that you're a bit nervous and I'm sure they'll be gentle. I hate having it done and I just sit there and cry (pathetic I know, but can't help it!) and everyone is very nice and patient with me, so I'm sure you'll be fine!:)
    thank you, i also got this info off a freind. I shouldnt have trouble with finding a place. My viens basically stick out my arm!:eek: But i just dont like injections and stuff eek scary.
    Blood tests really aren't anything to worry about, they just help to find out whats going on in ur blood. They hardly hurt and u just feel a small stinging sensation. It heals up really quickly afterwards, which is good otherwise dad would look like a blooming pincushion! Cos hes had to have loads of blood tests lately...
    Dont worry too much when ur there, cos if you're all tense and everything, you'll make it harder for the doctor/nurse to put the needle in.
    Hope everythings ok hun *hugs*
    well i had it today, i was *really* nervous, but i calmed down a bit due to Dr. It hurt for a bit but it was ok otherwise. I could feel the blood in the tube eeeeew. I should get the results if any when either the Doctor or the other people im going to get back.
    Originally posted by Renzokuken
    thank you, i also got this info off a freind. I shouldnt have trouble with finding a place. My viens basically stick out my arm!:eek: But i just dont like injections and stuff eek scary.

I hate injections, but that's rich coming from the girl with 4 tattoos! lol.

Im really bad for bloody tests, they can never get the blood out of me. I have low white blood cells, and was suspected with Leukeamia for quite some time, so i've had so many its untrue, but because of that all my veins are now scarred so much she cant get bloody off me, and can now only take it from my left hand. so im a bit buggered for them, and because of that they're really painful because it takes so long and so much rooting about in my hand, its not nice.

But if its your first one you should be fine, the first one never hurts!
    LOL. im the same. ive had 5 tattoos and i also have to take 4 injections a day for my diabetes but im a wreck when i have to get blood taken and my stomach churns when i need to go for my flu jag!!! the nurses dont get it but its different when you are doing the injection to yourself dont ask me why.
    ive got bad veins too and they can never find one when taking blood. i was at the hospital 2 weeks ago to get a barium enema where a tube gets put up your bum and the worst bit was an injection they tried to give me intravenously. they couldnt find a vein and i was nearly passing out in the end they left it. its just the thought it makes me so squeamish. the nurse laughed when i told her that the jag was worse than the tube up my bum!:lol: