Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Prostitution legal in New Zealand.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
The bill repeals bans on soliciting, pimping and running brothels. In their place it sets up a licensing regime for brothels, sets a minimum age of 18 and provides the same workplace protections as other sectors.

Good idea?

Comments

• Options
    It's a victimless crime. It should be legal.
  • Options
    Good good.

:)
  • Options
  • Options
    True. There is a lot of exploitation and downright sex slavery going on everywhere. Many of the eastern European/African prostitutes found in England are being forced into prostitution by mafias involved in illegal immigration and that has to stop immediately.

But in general this is good news. The oldest profession in the world is not going away, nor should any government or institution regulate what consenting adults should do with their bodies.

In places like Holland prostitutes already benefit from social security, health and housing benefits; their living conditions are much higher than those of their 'colleagues' in other countries, and they are also much safer.
  • Options
    Originally posted by girl with sharp teeth
    not neccessarily.

Really?

If both parties are consenting adults, then whose rights are infringed?
  • Options
    Originally posted by monocrat
    Really?

If both parties are consenting adults, then whose rights are infringed?

This could be the sex-slave, monocrat.

If you want to post in a Current Affairs forum, it would be a good idea to be up on current affairs. Recent reports - including another today - highlights the number of sex slaves in this country who have been brought in from Africa. Today's report was about the success of the Met in clamping down on this crime and how it has subsequetly been found that these relavnt groups have moved into Newcastle and Nottingham.

The point being that both parties may not actually be consenting adults. For some reason you seem to assume that they are.

And before you suggest that you last comment about consenting adults explains you position, you first response stated that prostitution was a victimless crime. Sadly this very example proves you wrong.

Amazing how often the facts get in the way of your assertions, isn't it?
  • Options
    I'm right because most prostitutes enter the industry of their own volition. In that sense, prostitution IS a victimless crime.
  • Options
  • Options
    *sighs*

did you actually read what MoK posted?

Clearly not. *shrugs*

Perhaps he truly is blind to the "Truth"?

He also won't be able to see this story which covers the very smuggling, intimidation etc that I was referring to. Unless of course monocrat believes that the children involved chose that route... :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Originally posted by Man Of Kent
    He also won't be able to see this story which covers the very smuggling, intimidation etc that I was referring to. Unless of course monocrat believes that the children involved chose that route... :rolleyes:

No doubt he will say they "got what they deserved".
  • Options
    i think that when it is not legal ppl go on the streets and spread std's and also prostetutes getting murdered etc.

at least brothels can assure safeR sex and like its been sed b4, its a victimless crime (when legalised)
  • Options
    I think it is right for prostitution to be legal, it should be everywhere, how many people believe it is wrong for a man or woman to fulfil their sexual needs by paying for it, i certainly dont, at least now the government can try and control it to restricted places and not on the streets and the brothels can make sure safe sex is in pratice.
  • Options
    Street prostitution is very dangerous for all concerned, but sometimes the only option. Very few women go into this as a career choice, usually only out of desperation most to feed their drug habit. There are an average of 6 prostitutes murdered a year, and 60 unsolved murders from the last 10 or so years.
    As the law stands, sex for money is not illegal but offending public decency by advertising (soliciting) is. This includes street walking and calling cards. Recent laws to stamp out prostitution have only made things more dangerous for street workers.

Some women complain that in massage parlours/saunas, the can be bullied by the owner of the establishment into practices they are not happy with, such as not wearing condoms.

Overall I think legalisation would work if properly monitered. It is very hard to stamp out child prostitution and sex slavery completely but legalisation of prostitution (including street prostitution) will go along way towards this and make it easier for women to seek support and help to leave if they so wish
  • Options
    *sighs*

did you actually read what MoK posted?

I never take notice of someone who attempts to make themselves look cool by correcting others, especially when they aren't wrong.
  • Options
    Maybe legalization would make it more difficult to have sex slaves. Or maybe in the law legalizing it also include a provision that raises the penalty for having sex slaves.
  • Options
    I think it would help simply because brothels would cease to be illegal and operate clandestinely- therefore the authorities could conduct frequent checks on all brothels to ensure all women are working there on their own will.

Legalisation would certainly help 'professional' prostitutes who are still at risk from violence and lack of proper medical and legal benefits.
  • Options
    operate clandestinely

So t-h-a-t-'s what he does. :naughty:
  • Options
    Originally posted by monocrat
    I never take notice of someone who attempts to make themselves look cool by correcting others, especially when they aren't wrong.

You said it was a victimless crime. It isn't. I proved it.

What you mean is that you never take notice of anything which corrects your errors...
  • Options
    Originally posted by Man Of Kent
    You said it was a victimless crime. It isn't. I proved it.

And my point is that 'proving it' to me makes you feel oh so good. Talk about a lack of emotional health.
    What you mean is that you never take notice of anything which corrects your errors...

If I'm wrong, I'm wrong.