Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

In a bath with the American elephant.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
http://www.arabnews.com/?page=7&section=0&article=28010&d=26&m=6&y=2003

This is a short article from the Arab News. You might have seen the discussion they were speaking of on the BBC. I found this unflattering view of American power interesting. The last few negative things the writer said is a true assessment of America right now.

Comments

• Options
    I read the article in the telegraph and saw the TV show.

The TV show did have too many statistics , but the editor of newsweek international had some good things to say. Claire Short predictibly talked a load of cobblers , and Peter Snow was once again filled with statistics.

The article in the telegraph was excellent. America conquers the world using Wal-Mart , Microsoft and Hollywood movies.
  • Options
    It's funny but I think most Americans area unaware of our "power". I suppose the big shots at certain companies know or get off on it.
  • Options
    Originally posted by pnjsurferpoet
    It's funny but I think most Americans area unaware of our "power".

Most seem unaware of anything outside their own [state?] borders...
  • Options
    mok...true. Most are focused on working, how their kids are doing in school, why their kids don't call...then they die. And with that happy thought...

Have a nice day.:)
  • Options
    Originally posted by Man Of Kent
    Most seem unaware of anything outside their own [state?] borders...

Most seem unaware of anything past the next days work, to be quite honest.

That article hits the nail right on the head. I remember about three years ago that a US soldier posted in Japan brutally raped a Japanese civilian who was aged about 17, and then the US Army did nothing more to him that state he was not domestically liable to the Japanese criminal system, and posted him to another country. And then the US wonders why everyone hates it so.
  • Options
    But Kermy, as demonstrated by Bush and co only recently in the UN, we Americans are "above the law" and can do as we please without any accountability whatsoever to the international community. Of course, everyone else (except those we decide to like on a given day) must comply fully with international law.

And that's the Bush view of "the rule of law" :rolleyes:
  • Options
    someone said that since Bush was born rich and powerful, he doesn't care what people think of him. As compared to Clinton who worked his way up from nothing and wanted people's acceptence and love, love might not be the right word.
  • Options
    Hey, I like that term "in a bath with the american elephant",I personally find America suffocating (no offense), what with all their MacDonalds, American brand labels, patriotic music and the glorification of Hollywood. Hey, Microsoft ain't too bad though, it has its uses...

But personally, I'd rather have a nice fresh salad baquette, buy a pair of shoes not made in sweat shops and watch an intellectual and slightly arty French movie.

I mean you can't get away from America! And I myself have sworn never to go there, it'd probably do my head in. I don't have anything against Americans, but the education system... why don't they teach the kids in school about the arms trade and dealings with Esso? Ah nah... It's all the oath and the American way... i.e. brainwashing.

Then again, what country is perfect?
  • Options
    America is a great place , the people there are the nicest ive met anywhere , definately nicer than the French , who were just miserable.

The people there love their country , and who can blame them? It provides more wealth for more people than any other country on earth.

America truly is the land of opportunity.
  • Options
    Originally posted by The Matadore
    America is a great place , the people there are the nicest ive met anywhere , definately nicer than the French , who were just miserable.

The people there love their country , and who can blame them? It provides more wealth for more people than any other country on earth.

America truly is the land of opportunity.

Would you like to round that off with a chorus of the Star Spangled Banner? ;):p
  • Options
    He obviously has a limited view of the US, as is the case with most tourists.

That vast wealth you speak of Mat is increasingly being pried out of the hands of the middle class and concentrated amongst a shrinking number of elites whilst unemployment and regional impoverishment ensure that people are forced to leave behind all theyve grown up with to hopefully find employment in other parts of the country or face a bleaker future for themselves and their kids where they are.

If you stay in cities and hang out with those who havent yet been hit by economic decline, you get a nice rosey picture, but go to the heartland or to prior meccas of manufacturing and youll see wastelands with little or no opportunity whatsoever.

Thanks to Bush's wonderfully spun tax break, the net effect in 5-10 years time will be an economy even worse off than today for most and better off for the fatcats who have been given even greater freedom to fleece the nation without having to part with their fair share. Even if it gives a short term boost, the largely unmentioned costs will come back to bite the nation even harder in the long run, forcing restored tax increases to pay off the public sector debt.