Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Duty free?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
How many fags are you allowed to bring back ?

A friend is getting me some but I have to give her the money before she goes and I aint got a clue how many she can bring back or how much they are. Shes going to Spain.

Thanx

Comments

• Options
    Im off to bed now but if anyone knows can you post and I will check this tomorrow.

• Options
    sorry my dear but i'm just going into a coma ...i'll try anfd answer tomrrow if they havdnt turned off my lik fe support machine.
  • Options
    I think it's 400 ciggies - at least that was I was told coming back on my last holiday - but that was from Goa - your friend is travelling within the EU so think there might not be any limit
  • Options
    I dunno really the exact limit but last time i was going through an airport, i took back 200,my friend and his dad took back 400, so in total we had 600cigs, nobody said anything at all..we got the fegs in Barcelona airport for 20oddeuro, depends what type your looking for.
  • Options
    nearly every holiday my da would buy a shit loads of cigs then sell them to people to make a small profit, jammy gimp:lol:
  • Options
    It depends where abouts in Spain she's going. For some reason you can bring more stuff back from Majorca than other parts, but I don't know if there's any similar rules for any other regions.
  • Options
    we used to bring lots of wine and ciggaretes from andalucia and bring them through malage - never been stopped yet. hehe even me with my bag of 'spanish glossy treasures' :D

which my mum later found and disposed of :(
  • Options
    From within the EU (Spain included) you can bring back any amount, however, you may be asked to prove that they are for personal consumption and not for selling on. Depends what mood the customs person is in :p
  • Options
    I thought it was 800 for "personal consumption". Don't hold me to that cos I'm just a part-time smoker!
  • Options
    im not entirely sure about spain,i know its 16sleeves through calais!

normally when we got to spain my dad brings back about 800,but my older bro only got 400....hmmm
  • Options
    Originally posted by BeckyBoo
    How many fags are you allowed to bring back ?

Didn't know there was a limit on the number of homosexuals you could bring back :p

*sighs*
  • Options
    Travel within the EU (including Balearic Islands but EXCLUDING the Canary Islands)
    You can bring back into the UK as much duty paid tobacco and alcohol as you like as long as it is for your own use. This includes for your own personal consumption or as gifts for friends and family.

If you bring back large quantities or alcohol or tobacco goods and are stopped by customs you may be asked some basic questions about your trip and purchases and the purposes for which you hold the goods. This particularly applies of you have more than the following:
    3200 cigarettes
    200 cigars
    110 litres of beer
    90 litres of wine
    3kg smoking tobacco
    20 litres fortified wine (eg cherry)

These are only guide levels based on European law and customs to NOT enforce any absolute law.

Your friend has little to worry about especially if she is going by plane because her baggage allowance will invariably limit the amount she can bring back anyway.

There are different rules if you are not coming from an EU nation, but she is. :)
  • Options
    Originally posted by BritJames
    good golly miss molly ;)

Nice work!
    Yes but do remember these are only guidelines and you may be asked questions if you have much less and of course, much more. If you can *prove* you are not smuggling in order to profit then you can in effect bring back as much as you like (for example if you were bringing back wine for a wedding you would bring back more than the guideline limit) :)
  • Options
    Originally posted by Bri-namite
    Didn't know there was a limit on the number of homosexuals you could bring back :p

*sighs*

:lol:

Thanks for the replies :)