Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Text messages

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
My friend was saying today that over the past few years police have been able and will continue to read all our txt messages we send people, is this true? He heard it on the radio, i dont think it could be true at all as it is a matter of privacy in txt messages and the police just cant invade your privacy.

Comments

• Options
    Re: Text messages
    Originally posted by Shogun
    My friend was saying today that over the past few years police have been able and will continue to read all our txt messages we send people, is this true? He heard it on the radio, i dont think it could be true at all as it is a matter of privacy in txt messages and the police just cant invade your privacy.

If they've got the technology...
  • Options
    They have something which detects certain words. Ya know, like things to do with drugs, think prolly more dealing though, and other criminal stuff. Not sure if its on everyone or just people under suspicion :confused:
  • Options
    It couldn't just be on everyone, imagine some of the things uve said to people but it may not be illegal but people under suspicion should be monitored anyway.
  • Options
    If such facilities existed, they wouldn't waste their (already limited) resources somehow checking every text. In fact, I am sure that such a facility would only be used in the investigation of a crime and, if relevant, as evidence in a trial. This, I think, is just.
  • Options
    They can read mine if they like, stuff like "do you fancy going to the pub on Thursday" and "yep 7.30 ok?" don't even interest me, let alone them! :)
  • Options
    I never send text messages, takes too long Id rather call :)

Ive received texts, I dare not say what was written :naughty:
  • Options
    Originally posted by Mr Doughnut
    If such facilities existed, they wouldn't waste their (already limited) resources somehow checking every text. In fact, I am sure that such a facility would only be used in the investigation of a crime and, if relevant, as evidence in a trial. This, I think, is just.

tis true..I know a dodgey copper! ;)
  • Options
    Originally posted by VinylVicky
    tis true..I know a dodgey copper! ;)
    I must add...I hate the bas**** and im not an informant or anything like that!
  • Options
    Yeah, they can.

I don't think they'd use it for relatively small crimes like drug dealing though.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kiezo
    Yeah, they can.

I don't think they'd use it for relatively small crimes like drug dealing though.
    not small timers obviously! Im on about like squillions worth stuff. Its also detects things like child abuse.
  • Options
    Yeah, they can.

/me strokes supercomputer :)
  • Options
    Originally posted by VinylVicky
    not small timers obviously! Im on about like squillions worth stuff. Its also detects things like child abuse.

Ah right, yeah :p

There's tonsa things like this going on. It gets done in email, MSN, phone, and a whole load of other things.

I'll stop before I come accross as any more of a conspiracy theorist :p
  • Options
    Ah right, yeah :p

There's tonsa things like this going on. It gets done in email, MSN, phone, and a whole load of other things.

I'll stop before I come accross as any more of a conspiracy theorist :p

lol :lol:
    the cops have shit loadsa technology we dont know about! they have the technology to trace your car at anytime, to be able to find out shit loads about you...theres just laws and stuff preventing them at the moment! Scary shit.....talk about big bro watching ya...more like his while f****** family.
  • Options
    if they have this technology to track your car why dont they use it, why isnt there some kind of device in everyones car that sends out a unique signal so the police can track your car down when it has been stolen, all you would have to do is inform the police of the signal frequency and away they go! :yes:
  • Options
    Think of the money and resources the police service would use on using this technology all the time, it would soon drain a deep hole in their funds.
  • Options
    Originally posted by lazybstard
    if they have this technology to track your car why dont they use it, why isnt there some kind of device in everyones car that sends out a unique signal so the police can track your car down when it has been stolen, all you would have to do is inform the police of the signal frequency and away they go! :yes:

There is...tracker.

You can put one in any car, but it's up to the individual to get one installed.

It's operated by civvies though...and they give the information to the police.
  • Options
    Originally posted by lazybstard
    if they have this technology to track your car why dont they use it

'Cause it costs money.
  • Options
    They only read through your messages if people complain against you.