Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Dissertation!!! Hurrah!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hurrah! My dissertation is finished! 10925 words... Bloody hell.... Hopefully the markers will like it. Anyone else had to do one this year?

Comments

• Options
    No, but I remember doing mine in Honours year, 2 years ago, worst 6 months of my life. 28,500 words - 134 pages. For the 4 weeks prior to submission I am sure I averaged 4 hours sleep a night and ate nothing but crisps and chocolate. Got a 2:1 for it though so it was worth the hassle in the end.

Boy, did I party when it was over!! Are you heading to The Garage to celebrate King of Glasgow or where is your venue of choice??
  • Options
    It's my friend's birthday today, so we'll be celebrating that more I suppose... Probably the garage I reckon. How do you know about the Garage, are you from Glasgow? Glad it's done, but it wasn't as much work as had originally imagined. We couldn't much more than 10000 words cause we only had 2 months to do it, but no excams until next yaer which is quite good. God, 28,500 words - 134 pages for yours, mine was only 30 pages... Think the best benefit though is that I'm now great at free-cell. :D
  • Options
    Originally posted by TheKingOfGlasgow
    ItGod, 28,500 words - 134 pages for yours, mine was only 30 pages...

Yes, buts its all about quality not quanity. Most of mine was waffle, which they wanted included, methodology all that sort of stuff, waste of time really. It was only about 4 chapters from the 9 that actually formed part of the investigation I was carrying out.

I didn't become a freecell addict. But I used to spend night at the computer centre down at Uni and me and my mates used to bombard the night DJ at Radio Clyde with requests and sad dedictations like "And this one is going out to all the geeks sitting at 2 in the morning still doing their dissertations...."

I'm obviously much cooler these days:rolleyes:
  • Options
    How do you know about the Garage, are you from Glasgow?

I went to Uni in Glasgow, but I'm back living in Ireland now. I used to work in Garage!!! Well, about 4 years ago now. Back when you could still get a vodka and mix for 50p. Do they still do that. I'm coming over next week to visit some mates, so I'm sure we might get a wee night out there. For old times sake anyway!!
  • Options
    Congratulations *hugs King* hope you do well :thumb: :birthday: :hyper: :wave:
  • Options
    Inflation now means it's about 70p to a pound for vodka mix, but the cheesy music, sticky floors and mass of discarded bottles and cups on the dancefloor are still the same :p Be good to go back for 'old times sake' I suppose. God, I'll be saying that in a year (hopefully...)
  • Options
    King - was the dissertation over one year? Which subject?
  • Options
    Inflation now means it's about 70p to a pound for vodka mix, but the cheesy music, sticky floors and mass of discarded bottles and cups on the dancefloor are still the same :p Be good to go back for 'old times sake' I suppose. God, I'll be saying that in a year (hopefully...)

Excellent:lol: looking forward to a drunken night there!!!
  • Options
    Originally posted by Mr Doughnut
    King - was the dissertation over one year? Which subject?

nah, it was over two months or so. We weren't allowed to do it until Easter. It was for English Language, and I was looking at the History of Scots (one of my papers), and the hostory of Scottish Standard English. Pretty interesting subject, but I was the only person in History of Scots who did a dissertation for it... :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Oh I see. What was your question or hypoth?
  • Options
    What is Scottish Standard English? was my title. Basically most of the text books say that SSE is Standard English with a Scottish accent, a variety of English, but I was saying that it should have the same social status as American or Australian English, and the only reason Scots say thay are speaking English is because of the proximity to England. It was an interesting topic, but it's not received that much attention really.
  • Options
    Ooh, well done! It feels so good to have it handed in doesn't it?

I handed mine in at beginning of May. It was a nightmare! I was so close to the 12,000 word limit. But got my mark back yesterday and I got a 2:1 for it. Yippee!

Ah, the good old Garage. Going there on Thurs, probably for last time ever cos I always feel ancient when i go there now. Plus last time I went I was charged £1 for a vodka mix!! Scandalous! I remember the 50p days and at one point it being 40p over the summer. I used to practically live there. Aah, memories ...

Anyway, congratulations! :)