Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Traffic wardens

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Traffic wardens are to have a competition, whereby the person with the most tickets on illegally parked vehicles will be rewarded with a free car or a free holiday. Do you think that this is good or bad? It will surely result in more people punished or parking illegally, so do you think that it will be an effective deterrent? It might also result in them putting tickets on cars legally parked in order to stand a better chance of winning either prize, but I'm not too sure whether or not this unjust behaviour would really happen.

Comments

• Options
    Originally posted by BritJames
    As long as they ticket only illegally parked cars

Yep.

In fact, it could be quite a good motivational factor - something at which to aim. If they work harder, they might be rewarded with a good one-off thing.

I suspect that if they give more ILLEGALLY parked car owners tickets and if they continuously get caught, then they will rethink doing it again. 'Shall I risk it? Well, I've been caught XYZ times, so perhaps I shouldn't - it's costing me a fortune!'
  • Options
    exactly.

there was a case in london I think where a woman parked in the same spot every day, got fined every day, and paid the fine every day

she ended up paying more per year than it would to put it in a national carpark NCP

that made me giggle - women drivers :P (shhh i was joking before i get slated)

lol! But that raises some good points, mainly about the effectiveness of the alternatives. Are there enough car parks in which to park? Is the public transport suitably good? If it's going to take someone 2 hours to reach work by using public transport instead of 1 hour by car, is parking illegally justified? I'm not so sure, but the answer should also consider the alternatives.
  • Options
    Re: Traffic wardens
    Originally posted by Mr Doughnut
    Traffic wardens

Britens last line of defence
  • Options
    Re: Re: Re: Traffic wardens
    No, that'd be the spelling experts :P

shut up its not my fault i have dislexia!!! see i cant even spell that! most people on here know about it and dnt say anything. i cant help it.
  • Options
    Read our local paper for tons of evidence that parking officials are crap. People who are legally parked keep gettinc tickets. It is since NCP took over the running of the schemes.

My friend's mother got a parking ticket even though she had her disabled person's permit clearly showing. The excuse? The traffic warden said she looked too healthy to be disabled. :rolleyes:

Similar things are happening all over my region and it sickens me. :(
  • Options
    Re: Traffic wardens

What annoys me is traffic wardens that park on single or even double yellow lines and then issue tickes to everyone else, since this tiwce now, first time someone drove up in a cra parked on a yellow line and gave everyone else a ticket .. 2nd time was a guy on a scotter ... are they allowed to do this?
  • Options
    Please keep to the question in hand! :)
  • Options
    Well I can't answer your question if it is good or bad unless you tell me how Traffic Wardens are paid?

Are they on commission ?

Do they have a quota??

Please provide the answers to these and I'll be able to answer your question with greater thought!!
  • Options
    You don't need to know how much they get paid.

1) Assuming that the wardens are more motivated and thus willing to issue tickets for ILLEGALLY parked vehicles, do you think that this will result in a reduction of such vehicles in that area?

2) Do you think that this reward scheme could be such that some of the wardens decide to issue tickets to LEGALLY parked cars in order to increase their chance of willing the prize?

Overall, do you think that this scheme is likely to be good or bad?
  • Options
    Traffic Wardens are bad enough now, with an incentive then they are just going to be totally unreasonable, not allowing you even 2 mins.
    Sometimes now they might say "you can't park there" if they are to get any kind of bonus that will go straight out of the window. They will watch you park then slap a ticket on you.

What I think they need to be doing is ticketing the people who use the orange badge for disabled. I know many people that use a realtives parking bagde, that deffinately needs to be clamped on.
  • Options
    You don't need to know how much they get paid.

1) Assuming that the wardens are more motivated and thus willing to issue tickets for ILLEGALLY parked vehicles, do you think that this will result in a reduction of such vehicles in that area?

2) Do you think that this reward scheme could be such that some of the wardens decide to issue tickets to LEGALLY parked cars in order to increase their chance of willing the prize?

Overall, do you think that this scheme is likely to be good or bad?

I never said anything about wanting to know how much they get paid .. read my question carefully ... do they get paid on commission already??

If they get £500 a week whether they ticket 1 car or 300 then yes your incentive is going to mean they are more likely to try and ticket more cars

HOWEVER if they already get paid on commission say £5 per car then they are already under incentive to ticket as many cars as possible!!
  • Options
    Originally posted by DiamondGeezer
    I never said anything about wanting to know how much they get paid .. read my question carefully ... do they get paid on commission already??

If they get £500 a week whether they ticket 1 car or 300 then yes your incentive is going to mean they are more likely to try and ticket more cars

HOWEVER if they already get paid on commission say £5 per car then they are already under incentive to ticket as many cars as possible!!

Yep, I agree.

OK, so assuming that they don't get any incentives at present and so this suggestion will be the first, do you think it's good or bad? Reread my questions earlier.
  • Options
    Yep, I agree.

OK, so assuming that they don't get any incentives at present and so this suggestion will be the first, do you think it's good or bad? Reread my questions earlier.

In that case I'm not bothered to be honest as long as they don't take the piss, i.e. they are supposed to wait 5 minutes past the expiry time (I think) for you to return to your car.

and Secondly I get pissed off when they park illegally themselves and issue tickets to everyone else ... I've seen private clampers sit waiting in the post office collections car park waiting for people to park, go inside and collect their packages only to find a clamp on their car.

If they stick to the rules and be fair then it's fine if they take the piss to earn a holiday - then it's not OK - my Dad once got a ticket for buying a valid pay and display ticket but sticking it upside down (he didn't have his glasses on him) - he complained and the ticket was revoked.
  • Options
    who woudl want to be a traffic warnden, you woudl get stuff thrown at you, what child has ever said " when i grow up i wanna be a traffic warden and piss people off":confused: