Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Parents Smacking Children

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Just seen this on the news (again...)

Discuss :p

Yes, I know this should probably be in politics and debate, but I put it in here instead. The politics forum scares me. If the mods want to move it, they can :)

Comments

• Options
    *smacks Laura* What did you post this for? :p
  • Options
    Originally posted by Mr Doughnut
    *smacks Laura* What did you post this for? :p

I don't know actually. I just felt like it. I don't even have much of an opinion on it myself. Hmm..maybe it wasn't such a good idea :rolleyes:

Ahh well its there now.

*Smacks Mobily* :p
  • Options
    I think parents should be allowed to 'smack' there children in order to show them right from wrong. I would class a smack as something just hard enough to shock the child and hurt a little. It's when it because more of an act of violence and starts to bruise that it becomes unacceptable.
  • Options
    i dnt belive in parents hitting there children full forse but when ur a lil kid a smack on the bum never did anyone any harm. but i do think that this should stop at the age of 10 cos at that age you can ground them an smacking is just wrong.
    using anything like a slipper or a cane on children is very very wrong.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Zella
    i dnt belive in parents hitting there children full forse but when ur a lil kid a smack on the bum never did anyone any harm.

So true.

The problem is people have become way too PC, and things like this have been deemed unacceptable.
  • Options
    In an ideal world children would listen to you and you wouldn't feel the need to smack.

.. how about this .. next time they do something naughty .. tickle them!!!
  • Options
    We are all referring to smacking children, so how does you define a smack? Is it the traditional definitions, for instance 'a sharp blow or slap' or perhaps 'to strike sharply and with a loud noise', or something else? Both of these actions seem quite brutal and painful, especially upon a child! So I wonder, then, whether a 'smack' is best. The answer to this surely depends upon the reason for the action. If it was because the child did something that was exceptionally dangerous and which could have resulted in serious injury or even death, how would you teach him or her that he or she must never do it again? Would words alone suffice, or would you need some form of physical action that would make him or her rethink doing it? Whatever the answer, I think that force must be use sparingly; only as the last resort; and in miminal quantities. If it occurs for no justifiable reason, then it has, in my opinion, shifted from being acceptable to being intolerable.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    Originally posted by Zella
    using anything like a slipper or a cane on children is very very wrong.

...I've always loved getting caned :razz:

Seriously though, my mum did hit me with wooden spoon and slipper (nbot enough to leave a bruise but enough to leave a little red mark). She only did it once or twice becasue from then on, simpy the threat was enough to make me behave.

I used to get a smack on the wrist or bum quite often when I was playing up, but by the age of 8 my mum stoppet smacking me altogether - although she slapped me acroso the face once when I was 14!

I don't have a problem that my mother smacked me (my dad has never smacked me), becasue I know that I could be a little shit sometimes and I deserved it.

There's a good chance I will use smacking when I have kids, but I doubt I will use anything more than a little slap on the wrist or tap on on the bum. Just the action (without the force) is often enough to get the message across!
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    I was only ever smacked for mega naughty things, and it was usually on my bum or legs, it prolly only happend about 6 times and it was the last resort. IT ALWAYS WORKED THOUGH! Then as I got older id get grounded, which hurt far more than a smack anyway. I remember begging my mum to smack me instead of grounding me!!
    I think its up to the parent to decide which punishment works for there children, but I think there should be guidelines on how to smack, as unfortunately there are horrible people out there who do horrible things. Its unfortunate that parents are gonna have to be told how to discipline there own children.
  • Options
    It should not be for the government to dictate to reasonable adults how to bring up their kids. A sane person is able to tell the difference between child abuse and smacking without a law to do so.

I do not know if I would smack my kids, but the choice should be mine to make.

As someone said on the news today, it is unfair to make the general populace the scapegoat for the few who abuse their kids.
  • Options
    You know what, this thread was done not long ago and it raged and raged. The thing is though, that if you just did a search you would get about 8 pages worth of what people thought not so long ago about this issue.

And it is pissing me off lately how everyone writes something like I know this is in the wrong forum but I need an asnwer asap / I don't care / mods can move it / mods are in until Monday
    Get it right first time, I am sure you're not stupid.
  • Options
    The government should introduce classes in school to teach youngsters a few of the basics in bringing up children so by the time they do have their own kids they might have learn't how to avoid some of the situations that lead to smacking in the first place.
  • Options
    Originally posted by DiamondGeezer

.. how about this .. next time they do something naughty .. tickle them!!!

:lol: and what would deter them from being naughty in the first place?
  • Options
    Originally posted by BumbleBee
    You know what, this thread was done not long ago and it raged and raged.

Did we all argue or was it genuine debate?

LOL I cant remember :p
  • Options
    give em a slap. it's worked for thousands of years. since the sixties this debate has raged. no caning in school was a mistake as well. as was stopping coppers giving kids a whack and a boot up the arse!
  • Options
    Originally posted by morrocan roll
    give em a slap. it's worked for thousands of years. since the sixties this debate has raged. no caning in school was a mistake as well. as was stopping coppers giving kids a whack and a boot up the arse!

I have to agree with that. I was caned at school and it did me no harm, it taught me a lesson if anything.
  • Options
    Originally posted by VinylVicky
    :lol: and what would deter them from being naughty in the first place?

Tickling seemed to work with my friend's kid!!

It gets his attentions and he can't move whilst being tickled!!

... And once you stop he sits there and listens to you .. I don't know it just works for him .. maybe it's a whole reverse Psychology thing!!

Got to be worth a try once to see if it works!!

Come on Vicky .. you're a naughty girl... **Tickle** ... **Tickle** :D
  • Options
    I think it's funny when children smack their parents. :p
  • Options
    Originally posted by z0ma
    I think it's funny when children smack their parents. :p

Oh I remember coming back from Gatwick onthe train and this little boy was arging with his mum - he couldn't have been more the 4 years old and called his mother a "Silly little Bitch" infront of the whole train!!

We had to stop ourselves from laughing!!
  • Options
    i got the crap kicked outta me once and had only really been smacked and stuff before that so it was a real shock but other than that ......may the smacking begin
  • Options
    Originally posted by DiamondGeezer
    Oh I remember coming back from Gatwick onthe train and this little boy was arging with his mum - he couldn't have been more the 4 years old and called his mother a "Silly little Bitch" infront of the whole train!!

We had to stop ourselves from laughing!!

Hah. Know what you mean, remember a while ago in some shop this little brat went on a right little tantrum and the helpless mother, bless her, was trying to calm him down but he was just screaming and kicking and hitting her and stuff. It really shouldn't have been funny, and we were trying to stifle our laughter, but couldn't help but piss ourselves with laughter. Got some really funny looks.

And smacking, when I was younger, I remember my mum telling me not to go back to this old abandoned mill, but did I listen? Fuck no. We went up there, smashing windows blah blah, just being little bastards. When she found out I got a swift slipper across the backside.
    Sure as hell taught me not to go up there again. :p
  • Options
    Parents should be allowed to smack their child but only to a certain age, after whatever age the parent sees fit there should be no more slapping, after 9 maybe, a child slapping its parent is just pure cheek ;)
  • Options
    When i was beaten a few times as a child, i remember promising myself i will never lay a hand on my kids. but when im with my friends and their kids- i look up to them and how they handle their kids. They dont like beat the living shit out of them but when the kids behave badly, they gave a smack on the butt and usually send them to time out. I think smacking kids dont teach them anything except that being violent is acceptable. If i ever raise my hand, i dont want them to flinch. I dont want my kids to be afraid of me. Im not saying i want them to run all over me and get no respect. I have found others ways to teach discipline then violence.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Blnde_BombShell
    i dont want them to flinch. I dont want my kids to be afraid of me.

If its a gentle smack they wont be afraid of you, I have smacked my Daughter and she is not afraid of me. As she is 7 now I dont need to smack.
    As children get older and can understand better, I think taking something away from them works much better. If my Daughter needs to be checked for something or if i have to tell her 20 times to do something and she still hasnt done it then she could be grounded, lose her T.V programmes, lose her gameboy or whatever. If you threaten a child with lets say grounding then you have to stick to it, the first few times I grounded she thought I wouldnt go through with it, now she knows if I say to her behave yourself or you are grounded then she behaves..........normally :)
  • Options
    Are kids really such pussies these days?

Most of the rationale behind not smacking is that it 'harms' the child. OK, yes in a physical sense this is true, but should it be true in an emotional sense?

Many people I know were spanked as children yet never developed any psychological problems.
  • Options
    I've never been smacked in my whole life. :eek2:

My mum and dad used to sit me down and ask me why I'd been naughty, etc... 'you know that's bad/wrong Claire, why did you do it?' etc, and make me feel so bad that I used to cry. My brother was the same.

Hmm, I'll never smack my kids, even though I get bad-tempered and I'll have to bite my own hand to stop me from doing it!!
  • Options
    Originally posted by TempleOfDreams

My mum and dad used to sit me down and ask me why I'd been naughty, etc... 'you know that's bad/wrong Claire, why did you do it?' etc, and make me feel so bad that I used to cry. My brother was the same.

What even when you were 2 or 3 yrs old?

Ive never been able to have a rational discussion with a two year old when they are having a full blown strop.
  • Options
    Originally posted by BritJames
    hehe, adults aren't much better are they :P

LOL especially men :p
  • Options
    I was smacked but only as a last resort it would usually be if either I was about to harm myself or all other attempts to calm me down had failed and we were in a public place and it was only ever a little tap of the hand or bum - a short sharp shock that does the job. Although my parents also tried things like walking away if I was throwing a strop in a public place or threatening to tell someone they knew I admired like "Do you want me to tell daddy/nanny/your friend that you were naughty and acting like a little baby?"