Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Superstition

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm doing a survey in Sociology at the moment on superstition and need some research.

So, do you believe in superstition? If so, what superstitions do you follow and why?

If not, why?

Comments

• Options
    Re: Superstition
    Originally posted by Young and sexy

So, do you believe in superstition?

No.
    If not, why?

'Cause I'm not stupid :p
  • Options
    Riiiiggghhhhhttttt...:yeees: :p

I'll allow you to say that 'coz youve got a wicked av :thumb: :D
  • Options
    I dont walk under ladders.
    If I see magpies I say "hello Mr Magpie" thats lucky :D
    Number 13 scares me :eek:

Why? because Ive always done it, I dunno why lol
  • Options
    I'm not too bad. I won't put shoes on a table (my mum went mental when I did that when I was little, and I'm scared to do it ever again :nervous: ) That's about the only one that I really stick to. If I think of any more though I'll edit.
  • Options
    What about walking over 3 drains!?
  • Options
    Riiiiggghhhhhttttt...:yeees: :p

Well you did ask :p

I don't see how anyone who's educated, and reasonably intelligent can believe in that sorta thing... Especially seeing as when you 'break' the superstition, nothing actually happens.
  • Options
    I dont technically beleive in superstisions, BUT i dont walk underladders and i get worried if i break a mirror. dont realy know why i just do
  • Options
    What about walking over 3 drains!?
    Dont beleive in that crap
  • Options

I'll allow you to say that 'coz youve got a wicked av :thumb: :D

lol cheers :D
    Originally posted by Lil Laura
    I won't put shoes on a table (my mum went mental when I did that when I was little, and I'm scared to do it ever again :nervous: )

Maybe she just didn't want you getting her table muddy.

Edited to add: not walking under ladders is more common sense than anything else.
  • Options
    This is straight up no word of a lie ok.

When I was due to have becks I saw 3 magpies and the saying is 1 for sorrow, 2 for joy, 3 for a girl and 4 for a boy, Well I went outside and saw 3 magpies in the square then i went on in the next couple of days to have a girl.
    See it does work :)
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kiezo
    Maybe she just didn't want you getting her table muddy.

She shouted 'Don't put new shoes on my table!!!'. I said 'Why not?'. She said 'It's bad luck!!'. So now I don't put any shoes on a table. They were brand new, in a shoe box, in a bag. So it was nothing to do with getting the table muddy :p

She did it the other day when I bought some new shoes - I was looking for somewhere to put them when she yelled at me, made me jump and I ended up dropping them on the table anyway :rolleyes:

I don't believe in the drains/cracks in pavement/black cat type stuff. I don't walk under ladders but sometimes I walk near them and my friends go mental at me :rolleyes: I'm a little wary of the number 13/Friday 13th but not obsessively so.

Oh the other one I'm obsessive about is putting umbrella's up inside. Should never, ever be done.
  • Options
    Another thing is if a bird flies in your house like a wild one entering your house through a window, door or something it means there is going to be a death.
    I beleive that supertition.
  • Options
    Originally posted by BeckyBoo
    Another thing is if a bird flies in your house like a wild one entering your house through a window, door or something it means there is going to be a death.
    I beleive that supertition.

I never heard that one... I'd just leave the room squealing, birds scare me :nervous:
  • Options
    I wouldnt say i believe in superstitions, but there are some things i just 'do.'

Example: I dont walk under a ladder, but like Kiezo said, thats just common sense - if you see a ladder, walk around it, why under it?

I avoid walking over 3 drains, not because i really believe its bad luck, but its just something my brother and sisters said to me when i was little and its stuck ever since. Bit of a habbit i suppose.

But, i dont have to worry about braking mirrors...Im not ugly enough :p

^^^(I dont actually believe that :rolleyes: :p)^^^
  • Options
    Originally posted by BeckyBoo

When I was due to have becks I saw 3 magpies and the saying is 1 for sorrow, 2 for joy, 3 for a girl and 4 for a boy, Well I went outside and saw 3 magpies in the square then i went on in the next couple of days to have a girl.
    See it does work :)

:eek2:

So if you seriously believe if there was another magpie there you woulda had a girl? Don't you think the nine month pregnancy thing kinda determines the sex or the baby waaaaay before that? :/

Most likely the birds' :p
    Originally posted by Lil Laura
    She shouted 'Don't put new shoes on my table!!!'. I said 'Why not?'. She said 'It's bad luck!!'. So now I don't put any shoes on a table. They were brand new, in a shoe box, in a bag. So it was nothing to do with getting the table muddy :p

I was joking :p
  • Options
    i've never been superstisious, but ben is, incredibly
    all of em, 3 drains, black cats ladders mirrors, if you bang your funny bone you have to hit your other elbow on the table etc....
    sometimes i break them to tease him, but he sort of rubs off on me so alot of the stuff i do out of habit of him telling me 'its bad luck'
  • Options
    :eek2:

So if you seriously believe if there was another magpie there you woulda had a girl?
    I think you mean if there was another magpie it wouldve been a boy :p
  • Options
    I believe in avoiding walking under ladders, avoiding the number 13, avoiding passing people on the stairs, and I think *bollocks* when a black cat walks past.

The reason for this is because *teen angst comes in here don't shout* I've had too much shit and I can't be arsed with it anymore so if I avoid these suposedly negative things less shit might happen, and if they're not real doing them anyway doesn't make much difference.
  • Options
    I think you mean if there was another magpie it wouldve been a boy :p

Yeah, that too :p
  • Options
    i believe in em...all the ones mentioned here and then some. like getting someone to slap your hand after you've scratched yer nose. stops any fights happening. tipping black when you see a lonely magpie. not walking through two poes, under ladders, over cracks. there's so many. :rolleyes:

there's another one i know i do but i canny think of it...kinda confusing superstitions with rituals...y'know, blessing yourself when an ambulance passes, all that. kinda the same thing when you think about it, isn't it?
  • Options
    Originally posted by chaos_insomniac
    avoiding passing people on the stairs

How the hell do you manage to get up busy flights of stairs then? :eek2:
    I think *bollocks* when a black cat walks past.

Only 'cause they don't have the skill of the cat in my AV ;)
  • Options
    I drove under some signs on the motorway :nervous:
  • Options

Only 'cause they don't have the skill of the cat in my AV ;)
    Obviously doesnt get the train/tube alot...:p
  • Options

I don't really believe in superstitions, and I don't follow any of them, but, out of respect for other people, unless I have to, I usually don't cross on a flight of stairs. This usually means having to wait for my mum on the landing to hurry up, because she has been brought up to believe this stuff, which is so bad cos she keeps it up and all. In school, I just cross past anyway, mostly because I don't like the majority of them, and I don't care if they think they will get bad luck.
  • Options

So if you seriously believe if there was another magpie there you woulda had a girl? Don't you think the nine month pregnancy thing kinda determines the sex or the baby waaaaay before that? :/

LMAO bet your pissing yourself laughing at me :lol:
    But thats what happened.

Ages ago I also replied on these boards about a bird that had got stuck up my chimney (we had a coke fire then), anyway it managed to get into my living room. Hubby got shot of it and soon after this is when my baby died.
    So I suppose thats why I do to a certain extent beleive in some superstitions because things have happened.
  • Options
    I am very supersticous at times. I play golf to a high standard and play for my county and for england under 17's twice. on both on them occasions i wore the same hat, trousers and shoes to ensure i won.
  • Options
    Ye i believe in it if i spill salt i always chuck it over my shoulder i wont walk on 3 drains i say hello to the magpies, i lift my feet of the ground when i can hear a train, i dont walk under ladders. Um most other i do but what if it is true then surel its best to have some gd luck on your side insted of not doing them and maybe having bad luck.
  • Options
    I don't believe in superstitions at all. My mum and my auntie do though, and some of the things they do, i just have to laugh at them! :p
  • Options
    Originally posted by sxy bunny grl
    i say hello to the magpies, i lift my feet of the ground when i can hear a train

1 - what's sposed to happen if you don't say hello to magpies? :confused:

and 2- you have to jump whenever you hear a train?? :lol:

I swear some clever sod makes them up just to laugh at the simpletons who actually do these things in public! :pno offence though sxy ;)
  • Options
    I wouldn't call myself superstious but I do say hello to magpies & try to avoid walking over three drains.
    Not sure why really.