Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Does an easy life spoil kids?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I have some cousins that have grown up in Africa and don't have a hard life but their teachers are strict with them (and I think even allow caning there), they are comfortable but don't have many luxuries and they are all well behaved and doing great in school.

I also have other cousins in Canada where life is fairly easy - they live in a huge house have lots of luxuries - but they seem somewhat spoiled and the older boy is a High School Dropout and wants to do nothing but laze around with friends all day.

So do you think an easy life makes for lazy kids? or that s trict upbringing help make you a more responsable adult?

Comments

• Options
    Who knows...you may have three kids in one family all brought up with the same strictness but one may become a tearaway or a dropout!

I believe my parents were right to be strict with me, and we had very little when I was growing up (Jumble sale clothes, no new toys etc) but I wouldn't hold it up as the best way to be as I was bullied by all the other kids. Luckily I was a stong person but someone else in that situation may not fare so well.
  • Options
    i know loads of people from both sides of this scale i know kids who have had it dead easy and some who haven't. i know kids on both sides of the scale who have turned out spoilt...in my opinion it depends on the individual as to how they will turn out.
  • Options
    i' rolling a fat one ...
  • Options
    it could well be something to do with background or it could be genetics or something else i guess