Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Ecstasy and epilepsy

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I have a friend who's been well into the idea of taking ecstasy for a while now. I've said I'll stay with him when he first drops to make sure he's ok and all the usual with first time droppers.
However, he's a bit worried because although he hasn't got epilepsy himself, his dad has and apparently there's a small risk of him contracting it at some point. We were going to drop together this weekend, but I said it would probably be best to wait until we know for sure if taking ecstasy could cause problems with epilepsy.
Anyone got any advice/info on the matter? I had a quick look around erowid but had nothing on epilepsy.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I had an epileptic friend who used to drop pills with us.

He didnt die even when i took loads, but it was a bit scary for us when he kept blacking out.

Should probly stay on the safe side and check if he has epilepsy befor he drops though
    I'm not sure if there is a serious problem with the two, however I dont really know. I'd suggest looking on www.bluelight.nu in the medical section, they will have something, if they dont then ask, make sure you search first though or they will just insult you. They can be really bitchy as a lot.
    From talktofrank.com

Short-term effects can include anxiety, panic attacks, confused episodes,epileptic . first-time fits and paranoia.
    Anyone with a heart condition, blood pressure problems, epilepsy or asthma can have a very dangerous reaction to the drug.
    Originally posted by beerboy
    He didnt die even when i took loads

erm why would it kill him if you took loads? :lol:
    Those short term effects could happen to anyone on MDMA, although with correct dosage in the right enviroment its unlikely.

However as I said I'm not sure how they interact, would the lighting in the club also add to this problem? Or am I not getting it right?
    I think the lights in a club would increase his epilepsy possibilites but who knows, maybe he could try it at home with friends first and then go to a club.
    I have a friend who turned out to be epileptic but for years before she was diagnosed went out boshing. As it was bout 3weeks after she had given them up for good she dropped in a club and had a fit. not sure if she didnt react to them tho cos she suddenly developed it and didnt have it when she was takin the pills. not to sure how it works
    Kind of to do with the topic.
    I don't have epilepsy (that I know of) but when I was doing loads of pills all the time I have had 2 fits which was pretty scary. They were both the next day to having loads of pills and not when I was on them.
    Maybe time to give them up then. What type of fits? Did you test your pills? Did you do the same ones both times? How long after consuming them was it? Did they feel normal when they were working? How long were you awake?
    Originally posted by bongbudda
    Maybe time to give them up then. What type of fits? Did you test your pills? Did you do the same ones both times? How long after consuming them was it? Did they feel normal when they were working? How long were you awake?
    I have given up taking them all the time. In the last year and half I've probably done them 5 times and 3 of them times was just when someone fed me them for nowt when I was pissed so I have only planned to go out on them twice.
    Type of fits?? Just uncontrollable shakes, knew I was doing it but couldn't stop. Both started with a bad headrush. One time fell to floor, the other I like held myself up between 2 walls in a hallway.
    Didn't test pills, never have done.
    Don't think they were the same pills because the fits weren't close together there was a few months gap.
    One time if I remember I had the fit on the Sunday afternoon after having no sleep Friday and Saturday. The other time was first thing Monday morning after having no sleep Friday and Saturday but had sleep Sunday.
    Felt normal on the pills. You know what I mean, obviously off my head but nowt out of the ordinary.
    You any idea what it could have been?
    More than anything its likely its just your body telling you not to pound it so hard, staying awake for more than 36hours really is just asking for trouble.
    That and drinking lots with pills, as I'm sure you know, is just plain stupid.

Is the 'headrush' you talk of like getting light headed, like with poppers? If so I've had that happen to me once before after a serious weekend. If you stay awake for ages and dont eat properly then your body will do all kinds of wierd things.
    I've always said to my mates that I think no sleep is better than any pill, it proper fucks you up.
    Drinking and pills does fuck you up. When i had the fits I hadn't been drinking at all them weekends. I was just totally into the pills at the time.
    Headrush - When you stand up too quick. Both have started with this.
    Don't do many now, just hoping it hasn't done lasting damage to me. I used to drink them nutrition drink things, forgot what they are called, they come in whats like a baked beans can. They were meant to give you all the good stuff you needed for the day. Had to have at least one in a weekend because there was no way of getting any food in me.
    Yep, thats what I ment, that lightheaded feeling, your vision goes a bit blury and you feel like you might faint.
    Its probally just pure exhastion then, but dont qoute me on that if you keel over dead.
    Originally posted by Shogun
    From talktofrank.com

Short-term effects can include anxiety, panic attacks, confused episodes,epileptic . first-time fits and paranoia.
    Anyone with a heart condition, blood pressure problems, epilepsy or asthma can have a very dangerous reaction to the drug.

dangerous effects like what, that's and obvious statement, does frank ellaborate?:naughty:
    Frank is full of shite, dont listen, its just another drugs 'education' waste of money.
    Yes frank is full of shit :yes:

some of franks details on some drugs are ridicilous