Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Cannabis 'shelflife'

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi,

I just wondered if anyone knew anything about how long cannabis 'keeps' so to speak. I only smoke occasionally, only at special parties and stuff and i wanted to know if its ok to like keep a joint for a month or 2 before actually smoking it. Or would it go manky by then?

Thanks!

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Re: Cannabis 'shelflife'
    Originally posted by OksiruE
    Hi,

I just wondered if anyone knew anything about how long cannabis 'keeps' so to speak. I only smoke occasionally, only at special parties and stuff and i wanted to know if its ok to like keep a joint for a month or 2 before actually smoking it. Or would it go manky by then?

Thanks!

I think it would be fine for about a month, however i'm not very sure. Some of the other posters will know though. :)
    ive kept joints in my cupboard for ages, correct me if i'm wrong but the thc doesn't break down... does it? technically if it went old and mouldy it would still get you high. if you want it to keep for ages put it in a sealerbag.
    No, it would be okay to keep the joint for a good while but i would advise to smoke it as soon as you roll it since its a j..only messing, it would be fine kept.
    I know an american mate who keeps his in the freezer, but I've asked him and he has really no idea as to why he does this. I just its just a habit now.
    I leave mine on my table for ages, it gets all dried out but its still fine. Just keep it relatively cool and dry.
    If you keep it out of direct sunlight and dry in a baggie it will be fine :D
    I used to have my emergency stash of skunk.. which, when the emergency came i couldnt find. 2 or 3 months later the little bag turned up. It was still smokable.
    Cannabis actually gets BETTER the longer you keep it.
    Its a process called curing.

I grow my own as u probly know, and after drying the plant you cure your buds.
    This is basically putting the buds in a glass jar, and keeping them in TOTAL darkness (light degrades THC horrifically) and airing them once a day to prevent mold.

When you cure your buds, the sugars inside the buds and stalks go through a process called 'isometrizing' which basically means all the chemicals turn to psychoactive THC, and CBD aswell as CBN. - These are the chemicals that make you feel stoned.
    It means the bud slowly smells sweeter, tastes so much better, gets you more high and the high lasts longer.

When you harvest a plant you are supposed to cure a bud for at least one month, preferably 2 to 6 months or longer. The problem is though that most growers in this country are cash croppers and they dispense with curing in order to get as much cash as soon as poss, its a shame, but thats the way it is.

Whenever you buy weed, dont leave it in the bag, get it home and put it in an airtight jar, and store somewhere COMPLETELY dark, with a cool temperature, then just take bits out as and when you need them.
    If you buy in bulk you will notice the difference in a week or two.
    It REALLY works, trust me.

So geez, take that joint of yours, and put it somewhere airtight - in a jar for example and take it out before your party, and it will get u higher than it would do if u smoked it tonight.
    Enjoy
    Oh yeah,

By the way, u shouldnt really leave dope in a bag / paper for a long time as the THC will eventually evaporate and render you weed useless, and tasteless.

I hope some of you try the curing method, it makes your weed so much better, yet not many people know about it...
    Spread the word people!!

check these links, they go into more detail

http://www.overgrow.com/growfaq/666

http://www.overgrow.com/growfaq/browse.php?topic=19

: )
    But when you buy good weed it should have been well cured before its sold, I know all the weed I buy is quite dry and has obviously been hung for a while before sale.
    Although I have bought really fresh stuff a few times and I've always felt skanked because it decreases a lot in weight when its dry.
    A friend once told me that whenever hash was left lying around for ages it loses its potency and dosen't get you as high. Ive left hash lying around for a few weeks and nothing bad seems to happen to it.
    Yeah agreed it SHOULD have been well cured mate.
    but that fact is, it's not.
    If you have 100 plants growing, you harvest them, and then dry them, what u gonna do if your a cash grower? - Youre gonna get rid of your stock ASAP, it makes economic sense, and also you dont really want 10 or so kilo on your hands do you.
    So they sell it as quick as, it goes through the channels and ends up shaken, brittle, tasteless and just basically not as good as it couldve been, its a travesty as far as im concerned. One of the very reasons i decided to stop paying for green and grow it myself

Shogun, as for your mate saying hash degrades in potency, thats rubbish.
    Of course it'll degrade if you leave it out in the sun where light and air will slowly degrade it but if you look after your hash properly it wont degrade.
    Obviously the same rules dont apply with curing for hash, but its still THC and THC degrades in light mainly, then air etc etc.
    I guess I'm just one of the lucky ones, I do buy from a bloke who knows a few small growers so its quite good. Not great stuff but its normaly been treated well.
    Hi,

Thanks for all your replies. So basically it seems that if you keep cannabis in dry/cool/dark/airtight place it will still be ok after like a month or 2. Is that right?
    Yea thats right OksiruE
    I TOTALLY agree with RobS, I too grow and leave my weed to cure for at least a month before I actually finish harvesting ( I normally leave the buds on the branches while they cure), then I only remove as much weed as is needed and leave the rest to cure until I need to take more and this is repeated until its all gone.... It really IS amazing the difference that longer curing makes to the flavour, aroma and buzz of the weed.

In terms of storing solids, I usually store mine in a tupperware box in the fridge. I find that storing it this way keeps it soft and fresh, though I havent had any to put in my frigde for some time now.

Out of interest, what breed(s) do you grow RobS? And what set up do you have in your grow room (e.g. NFT, ebb n flow etc.)?
    Out of interest i am wondering how much growing affects your eletrical bill? Ive heard people saying it costs alot to grow your own because of the lighting you use.
    Easy white rabbit...

I grow some different strains, currently growing Cinderella99, its awesome, its very hazey and almost pure sativa but grows dense and small just like an indica - its an amazing plant, awesome smoke
    Also ive grown out mazar, and Apollo11, which were both nice.

Im looking at sensi star for my next project, need a knockout indica

I dont use Hydroponics mate, i find it detracts from the flavor and high, so i stick with a soil and perlite mix, seems to go just fine
    What are u growing at the moment mate?

Shogun: Yep, electricity bills do go up, but i'd say its about £60 - £70 for the entire duration of the grow
    did you know that hash blocks are usualy found on board or nearby whenever a viking long boat is unearthed and going even further back all phonecian sailing vessels used to carry at least a kilo.
    i think it's smoke by date would have passed in these instances though.
    i'm going to try the new rizla seeds. they produce spliff trees ...like in an orchard, just reach up and pick a spliff ...
    Just wish it was that easy mroll...reach up, theres a spliff.
    Originally posted by RobS
    Easy white rabbit...

I grow some different strains, currently growing Cinderella99, its awesome, its very hazey and almost pure sativa but grows dense and small just like an indica - its an amazing plant, awesome smoke
    Also ive grown out mazar, and Apollo11, which were both nice.

Im looking at sensi star for my next project, need a knockout indica

I dont use Hydroponics mate, i find it detracts from the flavor and high, so i stick with a soil and perlite mix, seems to go just fine
    What are u growing at the moment mate?

Shogun: Yep, electricity bills do go up, but i'd say its about £60 - £70 for the entire duration of the grow
    last year i grew a lot of outdoor stuff. on well prepared south facing sheltered ground. it was nipped twice to bush it out. it was more leaf than bud. when seperated the leaf was mixed with some indoor bud ...unique flavour and very very giggly stuff as opposed to zonky stuff. trying a a similar mix this year.
    I prefer a giggly high to a zonky high, its a more pleasant high but saying that i still like all spaced heavy highs.
    MRoll, im guessing it was more leaf than bud because it was a Sativa dominant plant.
    I trust you know theres two types of plant, sativa and indica, with indica being short and squat - ideal for growers. Sativas, on the other hand produce higher quality bud, but also take around twice as long to flower (16 or 17 weeks usually) and produce huge, 8 foot plant, with spindley airier buds.

As most outdoor strains arent crossed with an indica to gain the traits needed for indoor growth (short plants, less flowering time)I guess perhaps you didnt leave the outdoor plant to finish?
    Originally posted by RobS
    ) you didnt leave the outdoor plant to finish?
    i rarely leave the outdoor plants to finnish. due to weather guessing and survielance judgements.