Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

How Often Do you Reinstall Windows?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Before I had Windows 2000 I found I needed to reinstall windows 98 about every 3 months - Now with 2000 it's much more stable BUT - I find that it does slow down as I add more and more software and test out stuff.

Comments

• Options
    I used to reboot my computer every few months or so, it was only really whenever there was a problem on the computer, I havent had to wipe it in a while now and hope it stays this way...have so much songs and videos now due to wonderful broadband.:)
  • Options
    Porky_StalkerPorky_Stalker Posts: 108 The Mix Convert
    I usually reinstall windows every few months or whenever i break it - which is quite a lot!

I keep all my data on other drives so i can just put my cd in and it will reinstall everything for me without me having to set everything back up :)
  • Options
    Used to format and reinstall every 3 months or so, but these days I haven't reinstalled in ages.
  • Options
    Re: How Often Do you Reinstall Windows?
    Originally posted by DiamondGeezer
    Before I had Windows 2000 I found I needed to reinstall windows 98 about every 3 months - Now with 2000 it's much more stable BUT - I find that it does slow down as I add more and more software and test out stuff.
    Exactly what I've found. '98 used to go tits up every 3-4 months. Since installing 2000 (last November) it's been excellent. I've only had a handful of weird random reboots in the 7 months since installing it, though it does seem to have slowed down a bit recently, especially when I've got a few windows and applications open. It wasn't like that when I first installed it.

Mr_Wobble ;)
  • Options
    98 used to be every 3-4 months but with Xp its down to once every 6 months or so. Miles better than any other version of Windows if you get all the critical updates and SP1.
  • Options
    I have 98SE, I reinstall about once a year (I'm going to do it again soon when I get the time). I want to use 2k or basically anything other than 98 or 95, but my computer can't hack it. It can barely make 98, but I refuse to go back to 95.
  • Options
    i haven't formatted since... February 26th, and that was only because I was having serious issues due to the pc going on fire.
  • Options
    I've been using W98 since September 2001 and have installed it three times (once every six months).

I used W95 for two-and-a-half years before 98 and reinstalled every six months.

'Me-And' - If you install IE4 onto W95, its practically the same as W98. The only dependancy of W98 is the USB support. I stooopidly brought a scanner last year that was USB-only so I had to stick with 98.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Monserrat
    'Me-And' - If you install IE4 onto W95, its practically the same as W98. The only dependancy of W98 is the USB support. I stooopidly brought a scanner last year that was USB-only so I had to stick with 98.
    I knew there was a better reason for using 98 - couldn't remember. The version of 95 that I have does have USB support, but it's very basic. I have ADSL, and my ADSL modem is a USB device, and it doesn't like 95.