Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Contact Lens Cases & Bacteria

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
After reading some of the comments on the other contact lens thread I'm a bit worried some folk here don't stop to think that their contact lenses are serious medical devices .. so hope the next few postings scare some of you how need it a little into perhaps thinking a little more carefully about how you use and treat these devices:

How well do people either clean their cases or replace them?

Many people look after their lenses but ignore the case which can harbour a lot of bacteria?

I used to buy my contact lens solution in the UK where it's very expensive and got a free case in the box - now my cousin get me the same solution for much cheaper from the USA and Canada (or sometimes India) but it doesn't come withthe free case.

So now because I don't keep getting a new case and because I only tend to wear my lenses once or twice a week I have the same case for much longer.

Anyway how many people know that if they are in a similar situation you are supposed to disinfect the case regularly?

I just got through boiling the kettle and pouring boiling hot water in a glass and leaving my empty case and lids to soak for a while to kill the germs that might be left.

Another method is to put some cold water in the empty case (left open) and microwave it - until the water boils. This work really well also.

I think the problem is worse for one step solutions because they aren't as strong as a two step.

I use the RENU one step solution and if I'm going out in the evening I try and throw out the old solution in the case and replace it with brand new one and let it soak for at least 4 or 5 hours - and can say I do feel the difference - the lens feels cleaner and less irritating by doing this extra cleaning cycle.

Although I think I want to get some protein removing tablets and saline to be extra sure. Of course daily replacement wearers don't have to worry about this!!

Some people are really lax on being careful of bacteria - one school friend actuall spat into his lens when it got try and then reinserted it into his eye!!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/1787405.stm

_1787405_contact_lens_insert300.jpg

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Found this onthe web some good advice in here:

Contact Lens Disinfection Comes in 3 Flavors

There are 3 disinfection systems available for contact lenses — heat, chemical disinfection and oxidation using hydrogen peroxide.

Generally, heat disinfection is most effective in killing Acanthamoeba, followed by hydrogen peroxide systems where the hydrogen peroxide deactivator is added only after the amoeba are killed. Chemical disinfectants vary in their ability to kill Acanthamoeba, as well as fungi.

The Top 12 'Dos and Don'ts' for Contact-lens Wearers

What can you do to limit your risk of developing such an eye infection?

1. Wash your hands before you touch your contact lenses, each and every time!

2. Remove gas permeable and daily-wear soft contact lenses nightly and extended-wear lenses at regular intervals.

3. Quit smoking, as this has been shown to increase the risk of contact lens infection.

4. Regularly schedule follow-up examinations with an experienced eye care professional, to have your contact lenses refit and replaced on schedule.

5. Clean and disinfect contact lenses after each removal using an FDA-approved lens care system and according to the manufacturer's recommendation.

6. Do not use distilled water and salt tablets to make saline. Non-preserved solutions will not protect against infection and must not be reused.

7. Use clean cases and sterile solutions. Discard and replace cases periodically. Clean the lenses and lens case with a cleaning solution and boil or microwave cases routinely.

8. Refrain from moistening contact lenses prior to insertion with any non-sterile solution, especially saliva or tap water.

9. Do not swim, bathe or enter hot tubs wearing contact lenses.

10. Remove lenses immediately if any eye trauma occurs.

11. Minimize the use of topical solutions during contact lens wear and avoid contamination of eye-drop bottles.

12. Tears have been shown to harbor hepatitis C and B, and the AIDS virus- HIV. Therefore, never swap or trade contact lenses with others.

Acanthamoeba is a rear but potentially very serious corneal infection that has been bost frequently associated with contact lens wear. Acanthamoeba organisms are ubiquitous, free-living protozoans which are found naturally in soil and fresh water. Contamination of contact lens care systems is often the source of infection. Clinically, acanthamoeba keratitis is characterized by a chronic course with waxing and waning of the infection. Progression of this infection may lead to a ring-shaped infiltrate of the cornea with infiltrates along the corneal nerve and a large degree of associated pain (#22192). The clinical diagnosis is often difficult, and this condition may clinically be confused with fungal or herpetic keratitis. Histopathologically, the corneal stroma is invaded with multiple acanthamoeba cysts, as well as trophozoites, in areas of stromal necrosis and inflammation

f10-01.jpg

exocyst.JPG
    I'm glad I haven't had brekkie yet
    stop scaremongering:rolleyes:
    "10. Remove lenses immediately if any eye trauma occurs."

Does this mean that when my eye flares up due to hayfever I'd have to remove it?
    Originally posted by Char_Baby
    stop scaremongering:rolleyes:

He`s not scaremongering, he`s warning people about legitimate risks.
    Originally posted by Miffy
    He`s not scaremongering, he`s warning people about legitimate risks.

Cheers - I am .. Lots of people in the other thread are going on about how wonderful contacts are (and they are cos I have them) but there are dangers - espacially for those people that sleep in them 30 days at a time or like my school who are dumb enough to even spit in their lens instead of carry a sterile solution with them before sticking it in his eyes.