Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Tipping & Services Charges

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Can anyone who perhaps works in the Resturaunt Business confirm this .. If you go to a place that has a service charge where does the extra money go?

Does it actually go to waiters, the cooks, who?? or is it just a way for the owners to get more money out of you?

Do people approve of tipping or think it's a poor excuse to pay people badly? And do tips get shared out between everyone including those that work in the back?

Would be good to hear from people that make their living from tips.

Comments

• Options
    Re: Tipping & Services Charges
    Originally posted by DiamondGeezer
    Do people approve of tipping or think it's a poor excuse to pay people badly?
    I will tip for good service, where someone actually does something.

I won't tip if they're rude or ask me to pass my own plate to them when I've finished eating (except when they obviously can't get in!)

I went to a place to eat last week where all the waiter did was seat you because it was self service buffet style and they added an optional 10% service charge to the bill. I did not pay it as I did not receive any service, I served myself!

Tipping should not be expected it should be earned! When working I would not expect a tip for simply doing my job - you have to go above and beyond and be friendly etc, although I suppose most waiting jobs would need you to do this anyway!
  • Options
    I have a few friend's who've worked in hotel restaurants as well as general restaurants. I think generally the tips are shared between the waiters/waitresses, although it depends on the place and the system. All my friends who've worked in restaurants have taken tips for themselves though; if it's a big tip then they're usually told to keep it rather than share it.

I don't think it's fair that tips should be shared though; I think they should be kept by the person who earned it. That way, waiters/waitresses have an added incentive to be friendly and polite to people. If tips are shared, those who might earn lots of tips don't get as much, and those who get no tips still get the benefits.
  • Options
    If only they tipped the cooking staff at McDonald's... I won't have to have a student loan! :p
  • Options
    Originally posted by Mobily's Ghost
    If only they tipped the cooking staff at McDonald's... I won't have to have a student loan! :p

Cooking, is that what they call it? :p
  • Options
    Originally posted by Lil Laura

On a good day! So no, that's not what they call it! :p
  • Options

:D

I tip if the service is good. Otherwise not.

When I used to work in a tea rooms, the tips were shared out between the staff.
  • Options
    Tipping isn't the norm up here, but the few times we got tipped (happened to me once :lol: and I got like 50 ISK which I could have gone without ;]) we just kept it to ourselves. But later we were supposed to collect it to buy hot cocoa or something. Which was so damn lame since we didn't get paid and had to buy our lunches ourselves. Retards. :mad: I had quit by the time that happened tho.
    I however did work at a horse rental. Not a typical tipping place (I think?).

And I don't like tipping "just because it's the custom in that country". If I don't like the service I would tip very little or not at all. But if I liked the service then that's loads different. =) Smiling staff, dinner on time, not too many problems with languages, etc..
  • Options
    Originally posted by Fáfnir VII
    And I don't like tipping "just because it's the custom in that country". If I don't like the service I would tip very little or not at all. But if I liked the service then that's loads different. =) Smiling staff, dinner on time, not too many problems with languages, etc..

Had that problem in the US, shitty service but expecting a tip :/

Funnily enough we went there via iceland :D
  • Options
    most restaurant staff are on or under the minimum wage, rarely over £5 an hour. tips do help. i work in a busy restaurant, on a good night there can be £3 tips each. even if we get given a tip personally, rather than it being put in the bowl, we put it in the bowl to be shared by everyone. like i once got a £7 tip for a party that spent £150 and 3 hours in the restaurant, had 3 courses and i served them all myself. i got £1 of that. which is a big pain.

a lot of people in our restaurant actually pass me their plates, some tidy the table and put the plates in a neat pile - it makes things so much easier, i'd rather do that than have someone leaning over me to get to my plate.

if every customer in the restaurant left 10% of their bill (minimum £5 so 50p) when we have had 30 tables of 3 people (average) that would be £45, so an average of 6.50 tips. that's an extra hour and a half's wage for me.

tonight, i got £2.30.
  • Options
    Ta da - a "full-time" waitress, at your service!

In our place, we don't add a service charge, so all tips are optional. All the tips go into a pot behind the bar and are shared out at the end of the shift to all the waitresses who worked that shift. If it has been a really good day, tips-wise, some of it will "go into the kitchen" which basically means, the chefs have all had extra drinks bought out of it. Also if it's a big all night party, we tend to just buy rounds of drinks out of it (it's thirsty work, ya know!) and end up with nothing at the end.

Most tips are a couple of pounds, or sometimes £5 or £10 from groups of businessmen (who tend to look like they are trying to show off in front of each other). We don't expect a tip - we are appreciative if we get one, but we don't treat people any differently if they don't leave one. Occassionally, when we get a tip of 10% of the bill (as advised in most travel guides and that sort of thing!) it seems really odd - the only people who tend to give 10% of the bill are foreign (sp?), often Scandinavian business people over here to meet with business people from the local fishing industry. (I work in a seafood restaurant, so it seems the obvious place to bring them!)

Edited to add - Average tips each for one session tend to be about around £5 at lunch and £10-12 on a Saturday night - not bad, when you consider we usually have 6-7 staff on; total tips are around £70-80 on a Saturday night (which is also the cost of the average meal for two in our place!)
  • Options
    Originally posted by sfnu

1. most restaurant staff are on or under the minimum wage, rarely over £5 an hour.

2. if every customer in the restaurant left 10% of their bill (minimum £5 so 50p) when we have had 30 tables of 3 people (average) that would be £45, so an average of 6.50 tips. that's an extra hour and a half's wage for me.

1. Their daft fault for working for under that then! I barely get over £5 an hour, before I was on £4.20 and did a far more stressful job that waitressing (which I have also done).

2. Why should we leave a tip? You get paid! I never ever expected tips, it was nice when I got them though. Sheesh.
  • Options
    How would you feel if instead of leaving you money I left you a lottery scratch card ?

Would you see that as being cheap or inventive and exciting?

And if it won would you share the winnings with everyone?
  • Options
    I tip in restaurants if I get decent service, if im left waiting half an hour to get my meal or the meal is rubbish then I never tip.
    I often start tidying the table by putting the plates on top of each other, passing them to the waiter/waitress I dont automatically expect them to collect them, as long as they arent miserable sods i will help them out and tip them at the end of the night.
  • Options
    As I personally (can't speak for other waitresses) don't rely on tips to increase my wages, so I would probably see a lottery scratch card as inventive - if it happened, it would go in the pot with everything else and the boss would probably "scratch" it at the end of the shift, in front of us all. As for sharing it, the boss would make us... :rolleyes: (mind you, if it was about £15,000 - if that's possible on a scratch card! - she's probably spend it on a new carpet for the restaurant, or something! :()
  • Options
    Originally posted by Crystal Tipps
    As I personally (can't speak for other waitresses) don't rely on tips to increase my wages, so I would probably see a lottery scratch card as inventive - if it happened, it would go in the pot with everything else and the boss would probably "scratch" it at the end of the shift, in front of us all. As for sharing it, the boss would make us... :rolleyes: (mind you, if it was about £15,000 - if that's possible on a scratch card! - she's probably spend it on a new carpet for the restaurant, or something! :()

I've seen some scratch cards go up to £100,000 or a car or something!!

I'm just sort of morally against giving money as a reward for most things in day to day life. It kind of goes against a lot of values. If your children are good you don't give them money as a reward. However If I go out with my friends I kind of feel obligated to give a tip - and the worst one of all is the pizza delivery guy - to tip or not to tip?

I once found a mobile phone in the street and tracked down the own by calling the last 10 people he called - go tthe phone back to him the same day and he kept wanting to give me a reward but I didn't see the need for it. In the end he shoved a bank note in my shirt pocket and ran off quickly into his car - think I gave the money to charity.

A lot of the time you also get the feeling that the waiter is ONLY being nice to you for a tip - seen many hand you the bill but not before drawing a smile face on it!!

After a while it feels so damn false!! - I remember when we were little at Xmas we gave the crossing guard woman a box of chocolates.

And people often give nurses the same. In most other professions to be given money for good service would almost be insulting??
  • Options

Which resturant do you work in?
  • Options
    Originally posted by sfnu
    if every customer in the restaurant left 10% of their bill (minimum £5 so 50p) when we have had 30 tables of 3 people (average) that would be £45, so an average of 6.50 tips. that's an extra hour and a half's wage for me.

I don't know if you were saying that to give an example of how much tips help, or if you were saying that everyone should give 10% tip, but anyway.

I really think tipping should be optional, as should be the value of the tip. You pay for the meal, and the money from that goes to waiter/waitresses wages, cooks wages, cost of food, etc. The cost of the meal surely covers waiter/waitress wages. So, you should only tip if you feel you've had service worthy of extra pay? And this leads on to what I said in my previous post, I think tips should be kept by the person they were earned by, as this gives waiters/waitresses an extra incentive to be friendly and nice.

As for what you get paid by the restaurant, well surely you're told that before you take the job, so you chose whether or not to take it. I have a friend who works in a chinese restaurant, where she gets paid £2.50 an hour, but she knew this before she started the job, so doesn't complain about it. If you have a problem with how much you get paid, then take it up with your boss. Tips shouldn't be expected.
  • Options
    Originally posted by *DEVIL*
    Which resturant do you work in?

Roundswell, Barnstaple.
  • Options
    Roundswell, Barnstaple.

Not too far from me then! well in reason! what uni do you go to?
  • Options
    I have a friend who works in a chinese restaurant, where she gets paid £2.50 an hour, but she knew this before she started the job, so doesn't complain about it. If you have a problem with how much you get paid, then take it up with your boss. Tips shouldn't be expected.

Isn't that below minimum wage - I wonder how much the meals are in that place.

Is your friend from abroad? Sometimes peolpe who come to the UK to work are taken advantage of - and quiet often by their own kind.

Does she work cash in hand? I knew a guy that worked for a local computer company for £300 per month - worked out at about £2 per hour and no tips in that job. He made the own a hell of alot more money building PC's for him and even worked away from home a lot of the time on a contract - it was his first job at 16 after leaving school, but he had to work as his Dad got cancer and couldn't work anymore.
  • Options
  • Options
    Originally posted by DiamondGeezer
    Isn't that below minimum wage - I wonder how much the meals are in that place.

Is your friend from abroad? Sometimes peolpe who come to the UK to work are taken advantage of - and quiet often by their own kind.

Does she work cash in hand? I knew a guy that worked for a local computer company for £300 per month - worked out at about £2 per hour and no tips in that job. He made the own a hell of alot more money building PC's for him and even worked away from home a lot of the time on a contract - it was his first job at 16 after leaving school, but he had to work as his Dad got cancer and couldn't work anymore.

Yes, it's below minimum wage, but she's 16 so there is no minimum wage. She's not from abroad, and it is cash in hand. She's supposed to get pay rises up to £4.50 an hour as she gets trained, but she's been working there a while with nothing mentioned about more money. It's an all you can eat buffet type restaurant, I think it's about £9.50 a head, and it's popular so I'd expect they make a fair bit of money - at least enough to pay more than £2.50 an hour.