Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

time pcs

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
how are time pcs that fuckin cheap, is it possible, they are more cheaper than any of their competitors, and they seem to have far more advanced hardware than any of the pc's i have seen.
how do they do it:eek2:

Comments

• Options
    non-standard hardware, usually

not good
  • Options
    Well, the problem is that they use cheap kit, which means that although the spec may sound good, the machine won't be as good as one made with better quality stuff.
  • Options
    Agreed with Mist they sound good on paper but use almost sub standard hardware such as software modems and video cards that would cost about £30 from a real computer retailer. Steer Clear if u can its worth getting someone to build you one, and build it around what you want to use it for.
  • Options
    i know a fella who makes and sells computers nad he says tat they arent a great system.....
  • Options
    I'm taking a computing degree...
    One bit of advice to EVERYONE....
    NEVEREVEREVER get, use, even touch a time PC!
    It's just one of those things!!
  • Options
    Time pcs arent as good as a normal made system, their speakers are of bad quality also, ive had to reboot my computer several times already this year....im hoping to get a new computer by the end of the year.
  • Options
    the best somputer system about is a Cowgate, they r quite and u wud never really have any trouble with them.
  • Options
    I built my pc myself saved an absolute mint. Fixed a 21" monitor and buzzing now with it.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Lee17228
    I built my pc myself saved an absolute mint. Fixed a 21" monitor and buzzing now with it.

yeh u do actually saves loads when ur build ur own computer, and its better coz its built to ur spec.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Seven_VII
    yeh u do actually saves loads when ur build ur own computer, and its better coz its built to ur spec.

Yeah its miles better i know of people who have gone out and spent £1500 on a PC just for the internet. You could build one for around £150-£200 for that.
  • Options
    I'm not sure how un-standard the parts are in a 'Time' / 'Tiny' computer but the biggest drawback is that they're not very expandable if you want to upgrade.

As for pricing, you can build something like this:

300 watt case - £35
    Abit NF7-S mobo - £84
    2600 Mhz AMD CPU - £75
    1 GB of DDR - £100
    80 GB IDE HD - £60
    SB Live - £29
    Heatsink - £10
    Floppy - £10

[Nvidia Geforece II, already built on mobo]

Thats £412 for a semi-decent base unit. Add £70 for a 17" monitor, £6 for a scroll mouse + £10 for a keyboard with all of those fancy buttons on it.

So £500 for the lot is less than half of what Time / Dixons / PCW would charge.
  • Options
    Yea but you gotta know about the exact building of the pc, u dont want to fuck it up in anyway at all, over the next few years i will hopefully start to build my own pcs and sell them.
  • Options
    building your own pc would be sweet, how low would you usually build one for
  • Options
    Its a piece of piss i build them for people and just charge them £50 for building it, they give me a rough estimation of what to spend and what they need it for eg Internet,Work or games.

If u want a games machine thats gonna add near £200 to your overall price due to it needing a good video card and a little more ram.

Internet Machine - I reckon could be built for around £200- £250

Games MAchine - will need a good graphics card with at least 32mb on board ram,Fast Cpu and the more memory the better. I would estimate between £400 and £500 quid thats what i spent but some of my parts fell off the back of a lorry. ;)
  • Options
    there are shops where i live that sell 'internet ready' computers for £99 - the whole system.
    It pisses me off, them decieving people like that - I mean sure theoretically you could get a 2ndhand system, tiny hard drive, slow processor,crappy memory,shite sound...etc
    But most of the web pages people wanna look at need a java machine, flash..things a so called internet ready pc just couldnt cope with. You need v4 or better internet explorer to run yahoo and msn messenger for eg.
    sory 2 rant but i see lots of students get ripped off needing a system for browsing and wordprocessing, and being sold a really chunky atx paperweight:mad:
    building your own system aint hard when u got the know how. and like Lee (last post) says u can pay someone to do it for only £50..and you get to choose a pretty case etc:rolleyes:
    Down with PCW!!!! Get to Maplins and buy 'how to build a PC'.:naughty: