Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Anyone else with relatives in hospital?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
My Grandad has been in Hospital for 4weeks, he lost a lot of weight due to a blockage in his intestine and as a result he has had an operation to attach a illostomy bag(where waste products are removed from the body). He should really have only been in for a couple of weeks while they did the op and built him up. In the last week he has had 3 drips because he has been dehydrated. I am disgusted by the way he is treated by the nursing staff. They pay no attention to him whatsoever, he had a bandage on each arm where he has got infections from the drips. One night when going in to visit the drip had ran out and his blood has started to go into the drip, we pressed the alarm for the nurse and no one came, in the end we had to go to their staff room to get one of them. He also needs a special diet which he is not getting, he needs more solid food but they are forever feeding him soup and mash.

All the fuss in the papers about how nurse are brilliant and how the deserve more money than they get makes me sick, especially after the way my Grandad has been treated. They complain about long hours but don't mention the fact that they have several days off a week after two long shifts.

I hope that this is just a one of case for my Grandad because if not the NHS needs to make sure its nurses are trained up to be near perfect at their job.

However, I must mention that the staff who dealt with his tests and getting the results back were fantastic, they need to be the ones we hear about more often. For example, on the adverts that say it took X amount of people to put a smile back on my face never mention anything about those who screen blood etc. When cancer is mention you never hear about cytology screeners who screen for cancer unless it is something bad.

Comments

• Options
    If the government stopped being stupid and wasting money building tents in Greenwich they'd be plenty of money for more Nursing staff .. there's simply not enough nurses, teachers or other key workers!!

Personally I'd like to see the lottery money going directly in hospitals and schools, etc. Instead of to pay for the Olympic games and stuff like that.
  • Options
    Im sorry to hear how bad your Grandad was treated, its not nice to see a sick relative neglected like that.
    My Dad was in hospital in March and had the best nursing care you could ask for. He was getting monitered every 30 mins at one stage because he was that ill. As he improved obviously they directed their attention to the patients that were in a more serious condition.
    I dont think you can blame the nurses but start blaming the Government. We do not have enough staff to manage the amount of patients on the wards. Nurses work very hard, most are dedicated to their job and they hate having to rush about like blue arsed flies because they just dont have the right amount of staff to give the best standard of care for every patient.
  • Options
    my nana has recently been in hospital for nearly a month, (shes out now, but going to a hospice) and she has had the most fabulous nurses. Im sorry to hear about your granddad, but thats not most peoples experience.
  • Options
    my granda has been in and out about 6 times within the past 2 months. he has a lung condition and lymphoma, a form of cancer. hes not well at all, but generally has been treated quite well by the staff.
    one thing did happen tho which really pissed him off.
    because there was so many different things wrong with him, he was asked to take part in a medical students final practical exam, the bit where they have to do diagnosis or something. so he aggreed. that was fine and then the next day he received a letter saying "dear mr williams please report to such and such a place at such and such a time...etc...yours sincerely doctor whoever" and then below that, there was a list of names, addresses, and diagnosises of all the patients taking part in the exams. not only was this a breach of patient confidentiality, but also the exam answers right there on paper. the letter wasnt even on headed paper or anything, it turned out that the doc had typed out a draft and all the patients names and addresses, but the secetary, instead of typing it out to each individual, simply photocopied it and sent it out to everyone!!!
    what a joke! it hardly inspires confidence in the NHS. if someone at a clerical level cant get a simple thing like that right then it really doesnt say much does it?
  • Options
    My grandpa has been in the hospital on and off as long as i can remember. Ive noticed though that when hes home, hes really happy to be alive but when hes at the hospital, the staff bearly comes to see if hes doing fine. They hear him saying how they dont come check on him, so they always come in and check on him when we go see him at the hospital. Its lame. I swear thats what they're paid for- TO HELP PATIENTS AND CHECK UP ON THEM.
  • Options
    my da is in a mental hospital or something, my relatives wont tell me much about it but he suffers from a sindrome comin in musicians called manicdepressive. sometimes he is really happy then he is really depressed. he goes on drinking bindges and we dont here from him for maybe a few months after words. the worst thing is that he plays music in bars all around ireland and he is around drink and he has a very weak will against it.:( , it is really hard on the family. now with contsant breakins it is even fuckin worse:(
  • Options
    Originally posted by DiamondGeezer
    If the government stopped being stupid and wasting money building tents in Greenwich they'd be plenty of money for more Nursing staff .. there's simply not enough nurses, teachers or other key workers!!

Personally I'd like to see the lottery money going directly in hospitals and schools, etc. Instead of to pay for the Olympic games and stuff like that.

There is enough money for nurses, don't believe the press bullshit.

The problem is that there aren't enough trained nurses out there.

I could go into a rant about how persistent attacks on the NHS mean that it isn't seen as an attractive place to work contribute to this...

And I won't blame the Govt either. There are enough training posts, and enough vacancies (my theatre dept has 31% vacancy rate) so it is up to people to take up these jobs. If you aren't willing to help, then don't complain...
  • Options
    Originally posted by Man Of Kent

And I won't blame the Govt either.

I would blame the Government, its their duty to get more trained nurses back into the N.H.S and if the only way of doing it is by introducing a much better incentive then they should do it. Make it worthwhile becoming a nurse and then we wont have the problem of under staffed wards.
  • Options
    Re: Anyone else with relatives in hospital?
    Originally posted by *milky way*
    All the fuss in the papers about how nurse are brilliant and how the deserve more money than they get makes me sick, especially after the way my Grandad has been treated. They complain about long hours but don't mention the fact that they have several days off a week after two long shifts.

Don't have a go at them they work bloody hard and put up with complete shit. My friend is 19 and at uni studying nursing, most of their course is work placements. She's done shifts from 7am til 9pm and then the same again the next day. She's been spat at and slapped by patients, and shouted at regularly by their families. I understand that the families are upset, stressed etc but it's not fair to take it out on the people who are trying to help.

I'm very sorry to hear about your grandad though, hope everything goes ok :)
  • Options
    Originally posted by BeckyBoo
    I would blame the Government, its their duty to get more trained nurses back into the N.H.S and if the only way of doing it is by introducing a much better incentive then they should do it. Make it worthwhile becoming a nurse and then we wont have the problem of under staffed wards.

a) The Govt could have a million funded teaching places, but if no-one takes them up...

b) Are you suggesting that the only thing stopping people is money?

c) Don't you think that environment (which encompassess builings, equipment and treatment by patients) is another aspect?

d) With Health as a political football, and with the goals of the NHS changing with each successive Govt, don't you think that morale will be affected?

e) If all you heard about an organisation was how it was failing, would you want to work there?