Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Hnd

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
How valuable is this qualification in terms of a uni degree?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    It can be the stepping stone to getting a degree. It may well show people that you have an interest in the subject and when you go for the degree if it is furthering your knowledge of the subject the uni will look on it highly.
  • Options
    Thanks, whats the point in HNC then? If HND is JUST a stepping stone? It takes an extra year to do and for what extra?
  • Options
    for example if you do a hnd for 2 years, you could go straight into the degree course in either the 3rd or 4th year depending on your results. its actually pretty decent.
  • Options
    in my college anyway a HNC is for people who are maybe older or working and dont have money/time to do a full hnd course, its part time and at the end gives you a qualifacation.

Im in a hnd course and have been told really that a hnd is a good qualifaction to have without even going on and doing a degree. Someone who doesnt maybe want to go and do a follow on course to get a Bsc will still have a good qualifaction under their belt. In my situation the hnd course is almost better than starting at Bsc as there is tons more practical things in the course which is important for me (im doing a Equine Studies HND) than there is in a Bsc. people just automatically think that considering you are a Bsc student you are better trained which is only half true, your trained better in the scientific side but not in the practical side which is the most important side if you want to work with horses!
    meh...rambling now...:eek2:

*may i make sense to other people than myself*
  • Options
    a HND is a really good thing to have not only will it almost certainly get you into the chosen university course but it will usualy will get you into the seconond or third year of it.:D
  • Options
    I'm about to start an HND in Music Production, and the college has told me once i've finished it, I can do a "top-up" year at uni to get the full degree. So, i would imagine that an HND is the equivalent to half (or 2/3) of a degree?!