Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

What books...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Are you all currently reading?

I've just finished Last Exit to Brooklyn by Hubert Selby Jr. and have started re-reading Catch 22 by Joseph Heller again because I've been too busy to go and buy more books.

Also, where do you usually get your books?

I tend to buy mine second hand because there are a few good second hand book shops in my area.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    A book called Tenderness... but I can't remember who it's by and I can't be bothered going downstairs to get it :D

It's wicked, though.
  • Options
    I have been reading loads of books across the academic year and therefore I have not the wish to read at present. But I soon will be reading Harry Potter the new book hopefully
  • Options
    1984 by George Orwell.
  • Options
    i am reading Can You Keep a Secret? by Sophie Kinsella - she did the Shopaholic books...has anyone read them??
  • Options
    Our house could almost be classed as a library - we have so many books. My mum reads about 4 or 5 a week. I haven't been reading as much as I would like to due to exams, but I was also reading Catch 22, only about one fifth though. I am so excited about my exams being over, I have so many I want to read! On holiday, I'm taking with me:
    Catch 22, Great Expectations, Angela's Ashes, When we were grown-ups by Anne Tyler, The War of Don Emmanuel's Nether Parts and probably a few more.

Also want to read a few more of George Orwell's, only read 1984 and Animal Farm so far.
  • Options
    Originally posted by ElysiumUnknown

Angela's Ashes

I saw the film when it came out a few years ago but I've only read the first chapter of the book. I was in a book shop in this little town in Canada and I was at the back when the owner decided to lock the shop up and go for lunch! So after finding absolutely no way out of that damn shop I had to sit on a sofa and read Angela's Ashes until the owner came back!

Luckily he wasn't too long but I scared the hell out of him just sitting there! :D
  • Options
    I absolutely adored Last Exit to Brooklyn.

Cuurently reading a few books.. Junky by William S. Burroughs, but I wouldn't recommend it, gets a little too self obsessed to be interesting. Also, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest again because I can't get enough of it, and The Blind Watchmaker by Richard Dawkins, because I just want to BE him, to be able to communicate ideas like he can :)

I get most of my books from Oxfam, their special books-only shops are pretty good.
  • Options
    iv started reading all the harry potter books....again.....so il remember it all when i get the new book:D
  • Options
    Originally posted by Cattigan
    I absolutely adored Last Exit to Brooklyn.

Yeh I thought it was fantastic how it was all intertwined. But it took me a couple of tries before I really got into it because I couldn't get my head around how colloquial it was!

I want to read Requiem for a Dream aswell and some William S. Burroughs pretty soon.
  • Options
    William S. Burroughs is good, I'm not sure about Naked Lunch, all a bit too wierd for me, Junkie is very good though and Queer is a really touching romance.

I'm currently reading two books, Kingdom of Fear by Hunter S Thompson which is fantastic, as with ALL of his work and The 13 1/2 lives of captain Bluebear by someone, thats good too.
  • Options
    I'm reading Twleve Bar Blues by Patrick Neate.
  • Options
    I'm working my way through the Hitchhikers Trilogy in four parts. Again :D
  • Options
    Ella Minnow Pea - Mark Dunn

A wonderfully bizarre read.
  • Options
    I'm reading 'A Short History of Nearly Everything' by Bill Bryson.

Tim - Angela's Ashes is well worth reading if you can get it from the library. Hated the film.

I usually just borrow books from the library, or car boot sales - I got Memoirs of a Geisha for 20p a couple of weeks ago. :D
    Second hand bookshops are good if you've got time to rummage around. Amazon marketplace is good too, if you're looking for something out of print/rare etc.
    Waterstones is nice to just sit in and read for a while. Till they start glaring at you.
  • Options
    Originally posted by bongbudda
    William S. Burroughs is good, I'm not sure about Naked Lunch, all Kingdom of Fear by Hunter S Thompson which is fantastic, as with ALL of his work

I read through Naked Lunch before reading Junky, and I still find him obnoxious :) Wouldn't be able to make myself read Queer after reading those two.

And as for Thompson - Fear and Loathing is one of my favourite favourite FAVOURITE books of all time :D (And about a kajillion times better than the film)
  • Options
    An Open Heart - The Dalai Lama. Buddhism is so true, and makes so much sense, i have decided! Also, the DVLA Official Theory Test for Car Drivers, when i can be bothered, since it's quite tedious!
    My favourite books so far have been Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden, and Wild Swans by Jung Chang.
  • Options
    Im reading Howard Marks- Book of Dope Stories at the moment, its quite interesting but not as good as Mr Nice.
    Ive ordered Snowblind from the library so should get that soon enough.
  • Options
    I just finished reading The Sparrow by Mary Doria Russell (I hope I didn't get her name wrong =X).
    And just started reading Vampire of the Mists by Christie Golden (Ravenloft book).
    And am midst in trying to read the second book in the Pullman trilogy. But it's not so exciting and in Danish.. bugger. ;D

I either buy or go to the library. Library has been the trend as of late. =)
  • Options
    Originally posted by Fáfnir VII
    I

I either buy or go to the library. Library has been the trend as of late. =)

Apparently, libraries are one of the best places to pull ;)

I haven't been reading books much lately, except for ICT textbooks, which don't count! But I've got loads of books on the shelves in the bedroom so I might actually start reading some. When I do read, I generally read non-fiction books about football, films, sex, music, beer, all sorts of things really! You never know what to expect to find me reading! I've read novels as well, read a really weird novel called Atomised by some French guy called Michel Houellebecq. Think they sell it in Waterstones and places like that. Read a bit of Stephen King as well.
  • Options
    Originally posted by candy
    i am reading Can You Keep a Secret? by Sophie Kinsella - she did the Shopaholic books...has anyone read them??

I've read that can you keep a secret one - I really liked it cos it made me laugh! I've not read any of the Shopaholic ones but I'd like to!

At the moment I'm reading the fourth Harry Potter book to refresh my memory before I buy the new one! can't wait to read it but I can't afford it til pay day :(
  • Options
    im reading tv nation by michael moore at the mo, i got half way through stupid white men before my dad pinched it. i got about five pages through the kurt cobain journals before he dissed bonjovi so i moved onto something else(sad i know) anyways tv nations' really funny, read it now:D
  • Options
    Lost in a Good Book by Jasper Fforde. It's pretty amusing, second in a series, so best to read The Eyre Affair first.
  • Options
    I've recently read all of the Shopaholic series and "Can You Keep A Secret?" by Sophie Kinsella. I got the 2nd of the Shopaholic series free with a magazine ages ago and recently found it, so read that one (in about three nights) then ordered the other two from Amazon, and read the third, then the first. I thought the Shopaholic series were all better than "Can you..." but that might be because my best mate is just like Rebecca! (the main character).

The last book I read was "The Nanny" by Melissa Nathan, which was pretty good - I read it in two nights, staying awake til 3-4am cos I couldn't put it down and wanted to know what happened! :)

Edited to add : I buy most of my books from Amazon or WH Smiths (especially now as they have the 2-for-£10 offer on - spent £30 the other day!). Only prob with Amazon is I have a tendency to buy books just before they go on special offer - when I bought the two Shopaholic books and "Can you..." they were nearly full price... three days later they were in the 3-for-£12 offer! :mad: