Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Punchbags

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Today I have bought a punching bag to use. It is one of those balls on a metal pole and a spring, it also came with punching gloves. Any tips on how I should be...well...punching it?
I don't really know how to.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    There really is a lot more technique to throwing punches than most people realise.

If all you want is some light excersis then by all means just stand on the spot and move your hands towards the punch bag....

But if you want to improve your punching you'd be better off either getting some-one who knows what they are doing to watch you and correct your technique, or to join a boxing club or something similar.

Punching properly should be about technique rather than strength, using your body weight and momentum to generate force, being fast and relaxed rather than tense and slow and punching in a way to damage the target and not your hand / wrist. On top of those you need to think about keeping your balance and not "telegraphing" your strikes.

Really you need a third party to help you, or video tape yourself and look for your errors (although this requires you knowing whats right and wrong yourself).