Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Roy Whiting - It should never have happened!

13»

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I really don't understand how you can think there is a difference. If I was saying the rape of a woman was worse than the rape of a child then I believe you'd have a right to argue but surely a rapist is a rapist what ever he rapes.
    Ask any woman who has been raped how they felt and what their chances were of getting away and I'm sure you'd feel differently. A woman with a knife against her throat is as vunerable as a child with a knife against it's throat.
    There are plenty of judges who have let a rapist off becuse in his opinion the woman could have 'done more' to protect herself, it's bad enough that they have this attitude!
    We arent just talking about violent knife rape here byny. Most children who are sexually abused are abused by their family members or close family friends. People abusing positions of power to exploit people is always worse.

Can i ask you an honest question...What do you think is the worse crime. Someone who rapes a woman using a date rape drug while the woman is totally out of it, or someone who rapes a woman by chasing her down the street, bundling her into an alley, putting a knife to her throat and violently raping her?

Now to me, the violent rape is much worse because not only does the woman have the feelings of being raped after the event but she also has the terror of being attacked like that along with all the physical damage.

All rapists should be put away for the rest of their lives but there are different types of rape, some worse than others.
    In answer to the question I'm afraid I feel differently - Both are as bad and should get the same term in prison.
    Like I said Rape is rape and I really think that I would be as effected regardles of how the man got his penis into my vagina. Basically it's forced entry however you achieve the goal, date rape drug, knife, strength, fear - whatever.
    Who knows I may cope with the rest of my life better than some but I'd still expect the same justice.
    I would also expect anyone who did the same to a child to get the same sentence. Perhaps it should be life!

[ 21-12-2001: Message edited by: byny ]
    Sorry thats not what I meant..Ive always said that the sentance for rapists should be life in prison, no matter who they rape.

I still think that a violent rape is much much worse than a rape where the victim is unconscious. While the actual emotions of the rape would be the same in both cases, the victim of the violent rape would have even more problems because of the added violent aspect.

Sorry if anyone disagrees, its just how I feel. Id like to repeat that I think that ALL rapists should spend life in prison(exception being statuatory rape)
    byny,

Don't get me wrong, I despise rape in all its forms. I completely recognise that a woman with a knife to her throat is in a terribly weak position. However, I still think she stands a better chance (not by much, I grant you) than a small child. My reasons for that would be (1) greater strength, including greater bodyweight, (2) greater awareness of the world, and so less likely to walk into the wrong kind of situation. I freely concede that these are likely very minor differences, especially in the face of a determined attack. However, the difference is non-zero, so I stand by my original choice.
    I disagree with what mackenzie says, but hes right when he says raping a child is much worse. Children are weak, defenceless, and innocent, and not sexually aware yet, so for then the effects of the rape would be worse- especially the physical ones.

Its impossible to argue this withoput sounding like you are denegrating adult rape, buit I certainly aint doing so. All rapists are evil, but children need more protection so when someone abyuses this protection its always worse. All crimes against children are worse than against adults, because of the innocence factor.
    Guess I need to clarify something here for byny.

No-one here has said that the length of time served should be different for any form of rape. Everyone has said that LIFE is the only sentence (unless you want to get into a capital punishment debate) and that it should apply regardless of the age or sex of the victim.

What we have said is that we believe that raping a child is a worse crime because it isn't just the physical abuse but there is the theft of innocence too. The other difference is that it is also purely sexually motivated, whereas adult rape is usually a power trip, in addition to the sexual element. In adults you can have an issue of consent (see date rape/'no menas no' etc) - in a child this isn't an issue, consent is irrelevant.

In answer to your rather strange question about neighbours, I would rather live next to the raper of women but as it stands right now, I could be living next to either and wouldn't know. If there was a paedophile living next door to me, I'd rather know about it. At least I could protect my children...
    Originally posted by M.O.K. - aka Man Of Kent:
    <STRONG>Everyone has said that LIFE is the only sentence (unless you want to get into a capital punishment debate) and that it should apply regardless of the age or sex of the victim.</STRONG>

Allow me to present my proposal, which does not conform to what MoK has said.

I would sentence to treatment until cured, followed by release with reasonable supervision; and if cure is not possible, death. I'm not qualified to state what forms of treatment are possible or how efficacious they might be, only that I would be willing to employ them. By 'reasonable supervision' I mean sufficient check-ins with a parole officer and curfew / tagging as required in order to minimize the risk of any re-offence (remember that release would be conditional on near-certainty of cure anyway). By 'not possible' I mean as independently judged by several qualified persons.

Of course, this is something of an ideal rather than a practical, but one has to start somewhere.

Comments?
    OK - Points taken about what we are actually arguing about.....
    However.... I do think it is wrong to judge the seriousness of the crime on the victims ability to escape/defend/recover.
    Surely its the CRIME we should be basing the punnishment on , not the age, height, weight, power of the Victim!
    But we *do* judge a crime on the victim-if a criminal mugs old ladies then are preying on the vunerable-if someone rapes a disabled person it is sick. Not that it is *not* wrong to commit crime upon anyone, but it does matter.
    I see what you are saying though.
    OK - but.... Why do wy do that?
    Basically by saying we are punnishing you because of the victim you chose but not because of the crime you have committed we are sending out the wrong message.

It also questions the life for a life brigade! Do we say ...'you killed someone but it's OK - he was built like a brick shithouse and so could have defended himself ....go free bad man!"?
    But listen- no one does say that

"saying we are punnishing you because of the victim you chose but not because of the crime you have committed"

Crimes have tarriffs, eg for burglary between 3 and 10 years (I may be wrong)

Tarriffs were set in place to ensure some kind of consistency across the country and some kind of fairness.

The *ONLY* sentence for murder is life.
    For other crimes the judges have to stick to the tariff, but circumstances may make choose to give a sentence at the higher end of the scale.
    Parents should without a doubt be told where a convicted paedophile is living in the area. In Sarah's case it wldn't have worked though because she was visiting some relative.I think that they should be given electronic tags so that they are never in areas around places where lots of kids will be e.g schools.
    i totally agree with balddog

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: Child Harmers, i.e Peadophiles, Murderers or simply abusers should be either Sentenced to life, executed or castrated...... depending on the seriousness and degree of the offence itself, i.e Roy Whiting subjected a young innocent child to violent sex acts and murdered her in a dark and lonely place away from her mother& father.......no one can ever EVER imagine or begin to know what Poor little Sarah Payne went through all on her own at the hands of that SICK FUCK! There should be NO second chances for any child abuser/murderer......

Without question and without any hesitation they are and will always remain INHUMAN & EVIL. ..... they must NEVER EVER be given the chance to smile ever again and they must have NO sympathy. For Justice of all the poor children around the world these sickos must pay with more than thier life...after all thier victims went through a hell of a lot worse!
    This thread is five years old...
    Child Harmers, i.e Peadophiles, Murderers or simply abusers should be either Sentenced to life, executed or castrated...... depending on the seriousness and degree of the offence itself, i.e Roy Whiting subjected a young innocent child to violent sex acts and murdered her in a dark and lonely place away from her mother& father.......no one can ever EVER imagine or begin to know what Poor little Sarah Payne went through all on her own at the hands of that SICK FUCK! There should be NO second chances for any child abuser/murderer......

Without question and without any hesitation they are and will always remain INHUMAN & EVIL. ..... they must NEVER EVER be given the chance to smile ever again and they must have NO sympathy. For Justice of all the poor children around the world these sickos must pay with more than thier life...after all thier victims went through a hell of a lot worse!

omfg Old Thread Noes Lolz!!!11shift-1
    :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: Child Harmers, i.e Peadophiles, Murderers or simply abusers should be either Sentenced to life, executed or castrated...... depending on the seriousness and degree of the offence itself, i.e Roy Whiting subjected a young innocent child to violent sex acts and murdered her in a dark and lonely place away from her mother& father.......no one can ever EVER imagine or begin to know what Poor little Sarah Payne went through all on her own at the hands of that SICK FUCK! There should be NO second chances for any child abuser/murderer......

:chin:

Twat. :)
    i think that parents or anyone should have the right to know whether there are sex offenders living near by
    luvmeright wrote: »
    i think that parents or anyone should have the right to know whether there are sex offenders living near by

I don't. If Mr Paedophile has to have his name and addres printed in the paper when he signs on the register, he will just disappear into the night, putting more children at risk.

Only those who need to know should know.
    Hmm - as always is a thread is very old it's best to start a new thread on the same topic rather than posting somewhere that's no out of date.

So feel free to start a new thread (that'll be fun...) but for now this is closed.
This discussion has been closed.