Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Cheap meals

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Ok i'm going on economy drive & wanna know what nice cheap meals you guys know of?

Corned beef hash is nice any more?

Comments

• Options
    Baked beans and cheese on toast :yum:
  • Options
    Nagers and mash :yum::yum:
  • Options
    Cook stuff instead of buying frozen meals.

Shepards pie is cheap, bag of spuds and some mince, 4 meals for 3 quid.

Pasta, rice and potatoes are cheap :D
  • Options
    Chips and beans

Chicken Frikashe and chips.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Crazyredeyes
    Cook stuff instead of buying frozen meals.

Thats what i meant.:)
  • Options
    Shepards pie with a twist.

Fry your mince in beer as opposed to oil. Gives it a nice tang. My favs are Stella and Miller. Also after you've topped the mince with tatties through some strong cheddar over the top. It'll melt all the way through. :yum:
  • Options
    Originally posted by NinjaMaster
    Shepards pie with a twist.

Fry your mince in beer as opposed to oil. Gives it a nice tang. My favs are Stella and Miller. Also after you've topped the mince with tatties through some strong cheddar over the top. It'll melt all the way through. :yum:

Eew i hate beer, but sounds like a lovely idea to someone who likes the stuff. Cheese is always a good topping :D.
  • Options
    The cheapest way I know to eat is Asda`s smartprice stuff. 10 fishfingers for 28p. A big bag of frozen chips for 90 odd pence. Tin of spaghetti, 9p. And so on, and so on.

We once did all our shopping for a week for 32 quid like that, no mean feat for 5 people. Only trouble is you wouldn`t want to do it for long if you could help it, cause I think the nutritional value is probably dubious.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Tweety
    Eew i hate beer, but sounds like a lovely idea to someone who likes the stuff. Cheese is always a good topping :D.

You could try wine, vodka, port, sherry. Probably not the best time to say it if your on an economy drive but experiment.
  • Options
    Originally posted by NinjaMaster
    You could try wine, vodka, port, sherry. Probably not the best time to say it if your on an economy drive but experiment.

RUM :D lol, when not skint.
  • Options
    alchoholics :p
  • Options
    Originally posted by David Grohl
    alchoholics :p

what's wrong with alcoholics? :p
  • Options
    Iceland have good two for one deals as well! Buy mixed frozen vegetables if you want something vaguely nutritious?
    My Dad took advantage of the best deal in Tesco last Sat - £4.50 approximately, for two tubs of Ben and Jerry's!!!!
  • Options
    Luce - Yes i do need something thats good for me on & off as i'm pregnant.
  • Options
    Pasta is always good if you're on a budget.

And as Luce said, 2 for 1 offers are the way to go too :)
  • Options
    Originally posted by Bri-namite
    And as Luce said, 2 for 1 offers are the way to go too :)

They are if it`s something useful, but on the other hand there`s no point filling the cupboards with Swiss roll because it`s on special offer!

Tweety, I`m sure I`m telling you what you already know, but just to remind you that it`s important to keep your calcium and iron intake up no matter what you eat.
  • Options
    Go into one of those army surplus shops and get some just add water meals?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Felix Da Housecat
    Go into one of those army surplus shops and get some just add water meals?

That`s nearly as useful as my Smartprice crap comment seeing as she`s pregnant! :p;)
  • Options
    You cant beat a pan of broth :yum:

All you need are leeks, carrots, potatoes and a bacon shank. Bung them in the pan and hey presto broth :D

Toad in the hole is a cheap meal. All you need are sausages, yorkshire pudding mix and your potatoes and veg and then you have a nice, filling meal :)

Omelettes another cheap meal, couple of eggs, then add whatever you want....Mushrooms, bacon, cheese, whatever :)

Mince and dumplings another cheap dinner.

Jacket potatoes with salad which is a good healthy meal.

errr thats it for the moment :)
  • Options
    Originally posted by Miffy
    They are if it`s something useful, but on the other hand there`s no point filling the cupboards with Swiss roll because it`s on special offer!

Tweety, I`m sure I`m telling you what you already know, but just to remind you that it`s important to keep your calcium and iron intake up no matter what you eat.

Yeah i gotta have tests on friday to see if i'm anemic:eek: i'm not the best person to eat healty although i am trying.
    As for telling me stuff i already know, hey i need all the advise i can get. I'm totally new to all of this & learnt bugger all at school!
  • Options
    Originally posted by Tweety
    Yeah i gotta have tests on friday to see if i'm anemic:eek: i'm not the best person to eat healty although i am trying.
    As for telling me stuff i already know, hey i need all the advise i can get. I'm totally new to all of this & learnt bugger all at school!

Have they given you the booklets they usually give out, like the Bounty book and Emma`s Diary??

Don`t worry if you`re anaemic, they`ll just give you Pregaday tablets and you`ll be fine. I`m borderline atm. What to eat for iron; beef, chicken or turkey, enriched bread, enriched cereals, eggs. Some vitamin C helps you to absorb the iron better too, so for instance, drink a glass of orange juice as well. DO NOT EAT LIVER! Although it`s a good source of iron it is too rich in Vitamin A.

Calcium is important, not just for bones and teeth, but it can help protect you against high blood pressure problems. Milk, cheese, and yoghurt is what you want here. Tinned salmon is good too, and you can kill two birds with one stone, and get some protein at the same time!

I tell you what is my lifesaver when I don`t feel like eating, a bowl of Rice Krispies and milk. That seems to have just about every vitamin and mineral known to mankind!
  • Options
    Originally posted by Miffy

If it's swiss roll, then so much the better. :yum:

I got a 2-for-1 on rolls today.

ooh...find a netto.
  • Options
    Originally posted by bad seed
    If it's swiss roll, then so much the better. :yum:

Man cannot live on swiss roll alone!
  • Options
    theres a book that costs either a quid or 2 squid and its meals for students...all meals work out at a quid or summit like that...ive got it at home and its bloody brillaint! its got snax...starters...mains...lunches etc
  • Options
    AHA, being a complete tightwad is my speciality!!!
    Best tip is to make everything from fresh, Vegetable soup is sooo easy, just chop a couple of onions and lightly fry in a bit of oil or butter, then put them in a big pan and put lots of water, some chopped potatoes, chopped and/or grated carrots, a tin of chopped tomatoes, a couple of vegetable stock cubes ( the knorr ones are the best) and any other vegetable you have spare in the house. Boil it for about 2 hours and its really nice, add a little bit of salt and some pepper and grate a bit of cheese on the top and dunk crusty bread into it. Thats got to be the cheapest meal I know.
    Another good one is home made cheese sauce, over broccoli, cauliflower or pasta.
    Easy Peasy Cheese sauce recipe:
    425ml cold milk,
    20g plain flour
    40g butter,
    put everything in the pan, gradually bring up to a simmer and stir continuously with a balloon whisk until it has thickened, then turn heat to lowest setting and leave to cook for 5 minutes, then add whatever cheeses you fancy with a bit of nutmeg.

If youre not that keen on cooking stuff from scratch then i recommend getting all your frozen foods from iceland as its sooooo cheap and theyve always got special deals on, I often get things like pizzas and frozen mince and burgers from iceland.
    ANOTHER tip is dont shop at sainsburys or safeway as they are the most expensive supermarkets. Tescos and asda are the cheapest!

if youre on a real budget, have you considered terry nappies for when your baby is born? I have saved myself a fortune by doing this.
  • Options
    MicroWaved Jacket potatoes are dirt cheap!!

Just add beans, butter, cilli, etc for taste!!

Although Asda do some good frozen meals £4 for 5
  • Options
    cheap as chips!

do you like batter? if so you can put the stuff on more or less anything you eat. it changes a mushroom. a thin slice of spud becomes a battered fritter. make a jam butty and cover in crunchy batter. sprinkle sugar on top and serve with custard piping hot ...delicous.
    best batter is flour mixed with cheap lager . or lemonade ...or even water. nothing else. make it thick. dip watever in to it and lower slowly into very hot chip pan. lowering in slowly stops the temperature of the fat or oil plummeting to fast. this kind of batter is very light. very crunchy with a soft white lining inside ...mmm.
  • Options
    Originally posted by morrocan roll
    lower slowly into very hot chip pan.

I don't have a chip pan :p. Lol yes but i get your drift.:)
  • Options
    pasta, pasta, pasta.

:yum:
  • Options
    Originally posted by *Lisa*
    pasta, pasta, pasta.

:yum:

:yes: