Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

a new generation divide.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
the elders of probably all previous societies were treated with respect because of a lifetime of experience and knowledge.
that started changing in the early twentieth century. in the last few years it has accelerated alarmingly. now 30yr olds have to ask ten yr olds how to use/relate to modern technology.
the children know far more about what is going on in the daily lives of people than the old. the old have now become a burden.
is it time to switch them off?

Comments

• Options
    Older people are treated with respect though,the oldest of the family and all that, people ask them for advice, they are living in their own world as they dont or cant use any of the modern technoolgy today, so no its not time to shut them off but just to let them do what they want at their house and their way of technology.
  • Options
    in short... yes. goodbye dad! (that was for the whore comment :p )
  • Options
    Originally posted by badabing
    in short... yes. goodbye dad! (that was for the whore comment :p )
    for those of you who don't know ...she's mad at me for avoiding maintenance payments to her mother this last 18yrs!
  • Options
    Originally posted by morrocan roll
    for those of you who don't know ...she's mad at me for avoiding maintenance payments to her mother this last 18yrs!

'SHE'?! she has a name 'dad' :mad: and the only reason you're being so bloody abnoxious is because you know mum could have a restraining order on you like 'that' *clicks fingers* :p
  • Options
    'SHE'?! she has a name 'dad' :mad: and the only reason you're being so bloody abnoxious is because you know mum could have a restraining order on you like 'that' *clicks fingers* :p
    ssshhhhh! don't start airing the dirty laundry in public!
  • Options
    ssshhhhh! don't start airing the dirty laundry in public!

*sobs* well I have no other way to contact you dad... you dont return my calls *sob*, you dont reply to my letters *sniffle*, I dont even think you want me anymore, you never did care.... 18 years and not one borthday present... not ONE *wipes snotness from face*
  • Options
    *sobs* well I have no other way to contact you dad... you dont return my calls *sob*, you dont reply to my letters *sniffle*, I dont even think you want me anymore, you never did care.... 18 years and not one borthday present... not ONE *wipes snotness from face*
    can you people see why i have tried my best to deny being her father in the first place? want want want. expect expect expect. just like her bleedin mother.
  • Options
    Right, that's it... Im going, Im going to bed. i dont care anymore. Im fed up with your lies, you use me like im a flaming doormat, and then you just go back to emily when it suits you. Well Im not taking it anymore, you've never been there for me... NEVER, and you smell too... so Im going to bed, I dont want to have anything more to do with a man who freely admits to denying his own offspring. Its wrong I tell you... WRONG!!!!!!!

Daddy I need to be at college for 9 in the morning so you can bring me my cup of tea at 7 please thank you very much
  • Options
    Re: Re: a new generation divide.
    Originally posted by J
    Your joking right? :lol:
    NO! people are living longer and longer but rarely with any quality of life. old people are out numbering the young by an unatural number. the young no longer wish to look after ...or simply can't ...pissy, useless old folk. it's the young who have to create the wealth to pay for all the medical and nursing costs of this hugely growing population of wrinklys. without technology and medicine my aunt could have gone peacefuly to her grave by now. but ...she stumbles on in confusion and pain at great expense to YOU and an ever increasing ammount of imediate family having to juggle jobs, kids and looking after her. this is being mutiplied a few million times across the nation. fewer kids are being born. old folk are living longer and longer but very feebly. something will have to be done at some point.
  • Options
    you 2...i've probably missed a step...so i'll try not to think too deeply about it...

and yeah back on topic, old people should be shipped off and "re-educated". gawd, it's especially embarassing when your parents ask you how to use this that or the other, when you have mates around or you're on the phone to one :rolleyes: :nervous:
  • Options
    Originally posted by Dreamer3k
    you 2...i've probably missed a step...so i'll try not to think too deeply about it...

Im afraid my dear friend there was no step to miss. 'Morrocon Roll' here, he is but a mere human being who in fact is an awful father towards me. :(
  • Options
    Im afraid my dear friend there was no step to miss. 'Morrocon Roll' here, he is but a mere human being who in fact is an awful father towards me. :(
    you said you were going to bed ...see, more lies!
  • Options
    you said you were going to bed ...see, more lies!

well im afraid you have all that money that you owe to my mother for the past 18 years to keep you going, some of us have to work, and so some of us have to have jobs... and through a lack of sleep from stressing over the fact that im practically fatherless, *sob* i forgot to print out my CV's for tomorrow's round of job hunting. so I have had to come back on, and need a spelling mistake corrected. so PAH to you dad... you unhelpful little *insert word here, advisable words are maggot and runt, however they seem to harsh*
  • Options
    morrocan roll - this is the second of your debatey threads I've read and I have to admit, I'm too damned stupid to follow exactly the lines that the debate is about..so quick question -
    the old have now become a burden. is it time to switch them off?

Is it a euthanasia question? :confused:
  • Options
    Originally posted by Lil Laura
    morrocan roll - this is the second of your debatey threads I've read and I have to admit, I'm too damned stupid to follow exactly the lines that the debate is about..so quick question -

Good point, thats what it could be potrayed as:eek2:

I wouldn't believe in euthanasia just because the old are becoming useless, it is not our right to take away life.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Shogun2002
    it is not our right to take away life.

Unless its mr roll's! :lol:

sorry :p
  • Options

that could be an answer. it is becoming a very serious problem. finance/rescoruses/timewillingness.
    if you have a 75yrold granny who you love to bits are you willing to feed her when she can no longer do it herself ...change her soiled underwear ...wipe her bum ...pay for her cos the state pension she has aint enough or the private one collapsed? she can't remember who you are anyway! then theres grandad ...ill, bedridden. are you going to do it? the simple fact is people aren't dying when they should. our technomedical cleverness is backfiring on us. with millions upon millions of incapable and often ill and confused old folk about ...growing in numbers alarmingly...and less and less people having babies ...the birth rate in the western world is almost at collapse point ...how is it all going to work? this crisis is happening right now. in 5/10yrs it will be a matter of building camps for them ...grim camps.
  • Options
    with millions upon millions of incapable and often ill and confused old folk about ...growing in numbers alarmingly

PMSL :lol:

are you contemplating suicide for the good of the community??? Mwa :D
  • Options
    Yeah, I agree that nobody has the right to take away life, but I think in some situations it's much more acceptable than others. For example, if someone's on life support, with absolutely no chance of recovering, I think it's ok for their next of kin to agree to turn off life support. But that's nothing to do with the age thing.

I think if an old person is of sound mind, is terminally ill, and simply wants to die with some dignity, no-one should deny them that. The problem with that is drawing the line with 'what is sound mind', 'at what stage of illness does it become acceptable' and so on.

But seeing as the statement I picked up on was 'the old have now become a burden. is it time to switch them off?', I think that is completely wrong. Whether or not old people are draining resources from the NHS, or tax payers money is being spent to look after them, or whatever (like I said in a previous thread, I'm not going to pretend I know the technicalities and legalities of the issue because I don't), nobody has the right to dictate who should live and who should die for whatever reason.

And if the thread wasn't euthanasia related... tough, you got my view on it anyway :D
  • Options
    Then what do u think people should do?

Are you not goin to be old in another couple of decades? Then you wont have to complain about this, u will be a part of it, its all the process of going old.
  • Options
    For example, if someone's on life support, with absolutely no chance of recovering, I think it's ok for their next of kin to agree to turn off life support. But that's nothing to do with the age thing.

Yes i would agree with that as well, what is the point of people going through more suffering whenever they are going to die very soon anyway.
  • Options

Are you not goin to be old in another couple of decades?

ANOTHER COUPLE OF DECADES?! :lol: Try two decades ago! :D
  • Options
    Are you not goin to be old in another couple of decades?

I hope that wasn't directed at me, in a couple of decades I'll only be 36 :eek2:
  • Options
    Right, I really am off to bed now, i've done my printing. Thanks for your help shogun, and daddy, dont forget y cup of tea in the morning :D:p
  • Options
    nobody has the right to dictate who should live and who should die for whatever reason.

:D
    i actualy agree. so how do we deal with this serious situation? i don't think you realise how serious the situation is.
    the manufacture of zimmer frames, wheelchairs, incontinance pads,
    social workers, comunity nurses, meals, medicines, transport, false teeth, glasses and on and on and on ...have to be paid for and indeed manufactured. their are not enough people being born
    anymore. there have not been enough born in the last twenty years, to spend all that time and effort. how are the fewer and fewer young people going to find the rescourses to give this ever growing army of incapable people a reasonable quality of life?
  • Options
    I hope that wasn't directed at me, in a couple of decades I'll only be 36 :eek2:

It wasn't directed at you, was directed at mroll because as ive seen from his posts he is much older than the rest of us here.
  • Options
    Right, I really am off to bed now, i've done my printing. Thanks for your help shogun, and daddy, dont forget y cup of tea in the morning :D:p

Alright,no problem bada, sleep good.
  • Options
    (this is not meant to be taken as an offensive comment but more political and statistical)

simple... why dont we import the chinese babies that no one over there is allowed to keep? Everyone's happy
  • Options
    i actualy agree. so how do we deal with this serious situation? i don't think you realise how serious the situation is.
    the manufacture of zimmer frames, wheelchairs, incontinance pads,
    social workers, comunity nurses, meals, medicines, transport, false teeth, glasses and on and on and on ...have to be paid for and indeed manufactured. their are not enough people being born
    anymore. there have not been enough born in the last twenty years, to spend all that time and effort. how are the fewer and fewer young people going to find the rescourses to give this ever growing army of incapable people a reasonable quality of life?

This will need to be sorted out but it cant be...this is old age for people, it is always going to exist,its a part of human nature.

We could make the rest of our youth now fit and healthier so that when they become older they dont lose all their qualities as much.
  • Options
    Import the Chinise Babies :eek2:

(Not a racist comment) but would we want a lot of Chinise going around this country, i believe it is a right for people to choose where to live whenever they are old enough and in any country but importing chinise babies ;)