Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

debating and posting nonsense.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
some people are screaming out for more topical and/or serious debating in anything goes. but the silly and nonsense threads seem to get the bigger response while serious topics tend to dissapear fast. few people it would seem are willing to stand their ground for what they believe when the going gets a bit tough and others are unwilling to say ..."hey i never looked at it that way before".
it seems to be an ongoing dilema. even for the mods ...they have had to change the polics forum to politics AND ...debate. i don't think it will work myself. why do debates and GOOD arguments not work well in anything goes. why are some of you afraid of a good heated argument ...yes with a a few insults thrown in here and there? why does a good argument in here frighten some of you in the comfort and safety of your anonymous house?
why do you not just keep out of them?
why DO ...people get all het up and involved in the threads they don't actualy like?
what would be your solution?
is it right to attack what some people find funny?
should people be alowed to censor the pleasure of others in here no matter how daft it may seem? do we realy need to go out of this room and into another to carry on a serious debate?
is anyone realy that interested?

Comments

• Options
    Do people find that its the way that people come across when writing their posts? like people *think* someone is angry and upset when posting but that in actual fact they arent, its just their style of writing?
    Why I say this is that I have been told that I come across as though im angry when in effect im not, im just useless at using the right words and which words to actually use, so im sat here thinking "ah we have a good debate here" but in reality people are thinking *ah shes well pissed off and angry* ?

Maybe thats why debates actually turn into arguments?
  • Options
    Originally posted by BeckyBoo

Maybe thats why debates actually turn into arguments?
    but i don't see whats wrong with a bloody good argument about something!
  • Options
    I like debates. I feel this thread could be a little too serious for me to contribute to, there were a lot of questions so I'm not sure which we're meant to answer.

Anyway like I say, I do like debates, and I'd put my view across in pretty much anything, but wouldn't get too heated or over the top about it unless I was really, truly commited to my opinion, which I don't think I can be that much as I'm only a youngster, ahh. I don't think I understand life's complexities enough to argue about them. But IF I did believe in something, and felt I was in a position to comment, rather than just going with general opinion, I would debate it.

And I do try to debate politely as well. I use lots of 'In my opinion...'s and 'The way I see it is...'s to try and minimise offence. Not sure if it works or not, but it makes me feel better :)
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,287 Skive's The Limit
    Re: debating and posting nonsense.
    Originally posted by morrocan roll
    what would be your solution?
    is it right to attack what some people find funny?
    should people be alowed to censor the pleasure of others in here no matter how daft it may seem? do we realy need to go out of this room and into another to carry on a serious debate?
    is anyone realy that interested?

(shouldn't his be in the debate forum?)

Seriously though I think a mixture of both is good. It's repetativness (sp?) that gets on people's nerves. For instance the smoking debate was good at first, but went round in cirlces in the end. And the same goes for Ants - was good and original at first, but didn't really needed doing again!

Some poeple take this place more seriously than others, and if people don't respect that then there are always going to be arguments.

I happen to think this board works very well compared to most!
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Re: Re: debating and posting nonsense.
    Originally posted by Skive

PMSL! so this is the silly room then?
    I happen to think this board works very well compared to most!
    i think it works just fine and can't see why people start busting blood vessels over threads and posts and comments they don't like.
  • Options
    Re: Re: debating and posting nonsense.
    Originally posted by Skive

!
    thinking about it ...i'll now be getting in trouble for being serious! this thread will be moved to the obscurity of the new debating chamber and anything goes will seriously go down hill. the place has gone fucking mad!
  • Options
    Oh hush - it's just a trial ... give it a go and if it doesn't work it doesn't work

Susie :)