Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Bitch of a question on application form

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
I'm thinking of applying to do a masters degree in European Politics in Poland. I start my final year at uni in September and so that's when I'll have to start applying.

I've read through the prospectus and it all sounds really good, exactly the course I want to study, and good prospects at the end of it. Trouble is, I'd only be able to go if I got a scholarship. There are currently about 2-3 scholarships a year offered to British students, and this year there are only 2 British students there so I guess I'd have a pretty good chance of getting one.

BUT.....

I've read through the application form and there's this one question that says (maybe not these exact words but something like this):

If you didn't receive a scholarship would you still want to come? Yes or no

How do you answer that question? It seems as if I'd be shooting myself in the foot whatever I said. If I say yes, then they think, oh well she doesn't need a scholarship. If say no then they think, well she's obviously not that interested.

What would you put?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Re: Bitch of a question on application form
    Originally posted by KoolCat
    I'm thinking of applying to do a masters degree in European Politics in Poland. I start my final year at uni in September and so that's when I'll have to start applying.

I've read through the prospectus and it all sounds really good, exactly the course I want to study, and good prospects at the end of it. Trouble is, I'd only be able to go if I got a scholarship. There are currently about 2-3 scholarships a year offered to British students, and this year there are only 2 British students there so I guess I'd have a pretty good chance of getting one.

BUT.....

I've read through the application form and there's this one question that says (maybe not these exact words but something like this):

If you didn't receive a scholarship would you still want to come? Yes or no

How do you answer that question? It seems as if I'd be shooting myself in the foot whatever I said. If I say yes, then they think, oh well she doesn't need a scholarship. If say no then they think, well she's obviously not that interested.

What would you put?

It does say want and you obviously do so I'd say put yes. If you have room you could always put a little line like "but I wouldn't be able to afford it so I'd be heartbroken and so you should give me the scholarship." ;)
  • Options
    Ok I just looked at the application form again and the actual wording is this:

Would you be willing to study at your own expense (tuition fees and board and lodging fees)? Yes/No