Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

dog

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
hi, im looking for advice for my dog(she would ask herself but she cant type). she has an allergy to grass and her skin itchies like mad and she bites and scratches til her skin is fiery red. she bites her paws til they bleed. her skin is so itchy that at night you can hear her biting her paws when she is in another room. its a shame. she has been to the vet many times and all they can do is give her steriods but these make her fat and they are not good for her heart so we dont want to keep putting her on them. we have tried different dog shampoos and baby oil etc etc. does anyone have any ideas? anyone had an animal with a similar thing? she is a poor soul and she cant get out for a walk because she cant go on the grass and her feet are too sore :(

Comments

• Options
    Ma Staff bites at her paws to, bless her! What we did was bought this formula stuff that you put on their food that conditions her coat and helps the skin. It seems to have worked! Her skins all soft and shes stopped biting her paws as much.
    Maybe go to the pet store and see if they have something like that?
    Sorry i cant be more help!
  • Options
    I would have thought the vet would have known. Maybe the pooch is just allergic to grass. :(

you tried the online vet?
  • Options
    THANKS, lady t what was the name of the formula, do you know? her skin is in a right mess. my dog is part staffy, i wonder if it has anything to do with the breed:confused:
  • Options
    my dog gets really bad skin when she moults, although it doesnt sound as bad as your dogs. I bought some `moult formula` feeding oil, its made by vitapet, and it really helped her skin and stopped her moulting so badly. It might be worth looking into something like that, and dont bath the dog too often as it strips their skin of natural oils. You may find that shes allergic to the food you give her or something? maybe try changing her food. Your vet sounds crap by the way. Id try and find a website about dogs or something and ask for advice on there.
  • Options
    Originally posted by rainbow brite
    Id try and find a website about dogs or something and ask for advice on there.

*Points to my earlier on-line vet link* :D
  • Options
    Originally posted by wee wuman
    THANKS, lady t what was the name of the formula, do you know? her skin is in a right mess. my dog is part staffy, i wonder if it has anything to do with the breed:confused:

You're welcome, and the name of the formula is "Dry Skin Formula" by 'ExmaRid'

Hope it helps!
  • Options
    Awww, I feel so sorry for you and your dog!

I don't know what to suggest, but I hope you find something for him soon. Good luck! :)
  • Options
    just another thought - If its an allergy, then why has the vet prescribed steroids, surely they would prescribe some kind of anti-histamine. Whats the point of treating the skin condition with steroids without treating the underlying allergy.