Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Mobiles

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm thinking about getting a new mobile phone, not least because my phone (pay-as-you-go) charges 12p per text and because I don't get neither free texts nor free calls. Can anyone recommend a firm, package or phone that combines freebies with a comparatively low monthly rate? Cheers for your help! :D

Comments

• Options
    I've got a 3410 on contract with O2.

£20 a month with 500mins of free calls to other O2 mobiles and 100 free texts. After that texts are 12p, and calls are quite expensive.

I use my mobile a lot and the bill's usually only about £30 :)

Not a v flashy phone though, the 3410...
  • Options
    like a bat mobile yes
  • Options
    O2 do a good package.

Its £20 and u get 500 free txts a month AND some minutes. :)

If you wish to stay pay and go just buy one of there sims for £10 and top it up every 30days with a tenna. For that u get 300 free txts. :)
  • Options
    Ahhh not bad! Not fussed what it looks like, so long as it isn't a brick or something similar.

I'm not really too sure on what is a 'good' deal, but yours sounds pretty good.
  • Options
    I see! I really use texts much more than calls, so it would be good if it had many more free texts per month than calls. I will check 02.
  • Options
    Perfect Day - I searched O2's website, but couldn't find your phone.
  • Options
    Virgin mobile do some good deals for tariffs (sp?) 3p texts to other virgin users is quite good. If you were to get a virgin phone i would buy from there website. £35 free credit. Virgin dont charge line rental on buy monthly either.
  • Options
    White NoiseWhite Noise Posts: 624 Incredible Poster
    Check out www.kelkoo.co.uk. it'll search the web n find a nice phone at a nice price for you :cool:

ps Get a Sony Ericsson T68i. by far the best phone, u can even use it as a remote for ure pc!
  • Options
    Just been looking at www.ukcellphonewarehouse.co.uk. They've got seemingly very good O2 deals which is the same for five phones: Ericsson T-68i; Samsung A-800; Nokia 8310; Siemens CL50; and Samsung A-300.

Included: 500 mins offpeak + 50 Xnet offpeak mins + 100 text
    Local/National calls: 30p peak, 2p off peak, 2p weekend
    Same network: 30p peak, 2p off peak
    Other networks: 45p peak, 30p off peak
    Voicemail: 30p peak, 2p off peak
    SMS: 12p
    Peak time: 07.00 to 19.00
    Off peak times: 19.00 to 07.00
    Monthly cost: £20.00
    Phone: free.

Is the above good? Would the free mins and texts be per month or otherwise? What are Xnet mins?
  • Options
    White NoiseWhite Noise Posts: 624 Incredible Poster
    Originally posted by Mobily's Ghost
    What are Xnet mins?

Think it means the amount of cross network calls you get, calls from one phone operator to another. like orange to o2.
  • Options
    Oh, I see. My girlfriend is on 02, so obviously this package, from O2, would mean I'd have 500 02-to-02 off-peak mins per month.

Is this a good package?
  • Options
    Yeah, some of the phone call charges seemed a bit steep, but I rarely phone using my mobile anyway. I thought the monthly charge seemed quite good, considering 550 free mins per month plus 100 free texts. The 12p per text is a little expensive, though, although pretty standard nowadays.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Mobily's Ghost
    Oh, I see. My girlfriend is on 02, so obviously this package, from O2, would mean I'd have 500 02-to-02 off-peak mins per month.

Is this a good package?

Im on T-mobile at the mo but may be changing back :p
  • Options
    Originally posted by BritJames
    true .... or just get one with the cheapest calls you can find, and use ICQ to send texts hehe

but no, O2 def have the best texts deal - look in the back of the tabloids, they usually have lotsa offers

Yep! :D I use O2's online SMS facility to send texts sometimes.

The peak call charges seem quite steep, but seeing I very rarely call anyone on my phone, especially during peak time, it doesn't really matter. The offpeak call charges to land lines and other O2 phones, 2p per minute, seems good. I think I'll go for it, mainly for the 550 free mins and 100 free texts. :D
  • Options
    Monthly subscription - £20.00

Included every month

Free call minutes - 500 off pk & 50 any network offpeak
    Free messages - 500 text
    Free WAP minutes - 500
    Free GPRS Mb - 0.50

Call charges

Fixed line, Voicemail - 30p/2p
    O2 mobiles - 30p/2p
    Other mobiles - 45p/30p
    Text per msg / WAP per min - 10p
    Media Messages - 35p
    GPRS £ per Mb - £3.00
    Telephone customer services - 50p/minute
    Online Services (eCare & eBilling) - Free

And u get the choice of a free phone.
  • Options
    You can have, 3510i, 8310, Motorola T720i, Panasonic GD-67, Siemens C55, Samsung N500.

Edited to add - its called the online offpeak 500. You can find it on the o2 website.

Ooo, anybody will think i worked for O2.
  • Options
    i have a 7210 with 500 free o2-o2 mins, 100 free txts, 50 xnet mins and 10 anytime o2-o2 mins - for £20 odd quid a month

go to carphone warehouse now and buy :) and you can use all your free mins on me :p hehehe