Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

anyone good with pc's?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
i need help from someone who is.

ive got a microsoft works document (wps) and i cant open it, the only thing it will open in is word and then it opens in come sort of code. so if anyone can help me with what to do so that i can get it back in normal english i'd be hugely greatful

Comments

• Options
    Erm .... I'm not great with PCs but for a start I'm pretty sure that you need to actually have Microsoft Works to be able to open it!! Do you? As for opening it in Word I have no idea. I was under the impression that things could only be opened in the programmes that they have been saved in ... but I could be wrong.
  • Options
    i used to have works, but then my comp crashed and i lost everything. and i cant get it back, only word.
    maybe if i send it to someone who has works, they open it and then save it as a simple word programme so i can open it in word? will that work?!
  • Options
    Check your PMs
  • Options
    You can convert it to a word file by changing the file extension - I just can't remember how! :crazyeyes It was part of my CLAIT course months ago... oh, it's bugging me too now!
  • Options
    When you try to open the file, in the "files of type" box, choose "works 4 for windows" (wps). If that option is not listed you'll need to dig out your word CD and install the text converter for works files.
  • Options
    thank you everyone and special thanx to loopi who sorted it for me :)