Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Chinese Food - Yummy

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
My friend bought me chinese food as a reward for helping him with his presentation.

It got me thinking - there's like 40 different dishes on most chinese menus and yet I tend to order the same things.

Can't remember the names now cos my friend usually orders but one was a lamb dish and the other chicken, and we had egg fried rice. The chicken was so tender - wow !! and I usually hate chicken cos it's so boring!!

I once had ginger beef in Canada and it was lovely - but tried at so many other places in the world and it's always sucked!!

Any recommendations for other Chinese dishes I should try (and also avoid)?

Also can people comment on the difference between Chinese food and Thai, Maylasian, etc I'm familar with Japanese places like Yo Sushi and Waga Mammas.

Comments

• Options
    Re: Chinese Food - Yummy
    Originally posted by DiamondGeezer
    Also can people comment on the difference between Chinese food and Thai, Maylasian, etc I'm familar with Japanese places like Yo Sushi and Waga Mammas.

I love sushi :yum::yum::yum: My favorite dish is tuna sashimi, although I love dynamite rolls and tempora alot also!

My favorite chinese dish at present is deep fried sweet and sour prawns!

I love any Thai food with peanut sauce!

As for the difference between them; its so great I don't know where to start!
  • Options
    I like ribs yum
  • Options
    I love chicken and pineapple and that`s what I order 8 or 9 times out of 10. But lately I`ve had some other stuff. I had this lovely Szechuan pork (but that was from the Chinese section at Asda, not from the takeaway), and I had some really nice pork in a kind of ginger sauce as well. That WAS from the takeaway.
  • Options
    i had battered ckicken in sweet and sour chicken with rice last night after coming in from the pub now the remains are on the floor :(

stopped me wake up ill though :D
  • Options
    Originally posted by Miffy
    I love chicken and pineapple and that`s what I order 8 or 9 times out of 10. But lately I`ve had some other stuff. I had this lovely Szechuan pork (but that was from the Chinese section at Asda, not from the takeaway), and I had some really nice pork in a kind of ginger sauce as well. That WAS from the takeaway.

I've never seen Chicken and Pineapple before (only on a pizza) - does it have a special name onthe menu?
  • Options
    Sweet and sour chicken with rice and chips :yum:
  • Options
    Originally posted by Shogun2002
    Sweet and sour chicken with rice and chips :yum:

I never considered with Chips before - but thikning about it I once had this shredded beef disk in Africa with chips and it was yummy!!
  • Options
    what my family normally orders
    mongolian lamb
    Szechuan (sp?) chicken
    Garlic king prawns
    Chilli king prawns
    honey chicken
    beef chow mein
    special fried rice
    singapore noodles

i love em all cept the prawns :yuck:
  • Options
    I never considered with Chips before - but thikning about it I once had this shredded beef disk in Africa with chips and it was yummy!!

Try it,its nice :yes:
  • Options
    ooh i love china town (the one closest to me. tis in sydney)
    not just for the food tho, great shops, but so many people get shot there:(
  • Options
    I reckon in central London there are a lot of rip off places to eat - they mainly service tourists and provide bad food, bad service and high prices and don't care cos they know they'll probably never see that person again cos they are only visiting the UK.

When to a horrible Indian Resturant in london where everything was slow, small and cold.

But then went to a local Fish and Chip shop (cos this gitl visitng was dieing for traditional english fish and chips) and got treat so well by a guy that looked just like Antonio Banderas!! The girl loved that part!!
  • Options
    I reckon in central London there are a lot of rip off places to eat -
    When to a horrible Indian Resturant in london where everything was slow, small and cold.

there are a lot of these around where i live. I like to go to china town because there is this GREAT chinese resturant run by a rather old chinese family. They don't speak english so it's mostly chinese-australians who go there. The food is FANTASTIC, best chinese i've ever had. Thank god some of my mates speak chinese!

ooh and you get free lollies :)
  • Options
    someone send me a pearl tea!!!!!! we ain't got them here!!!!

oh i'm sorry, i'm just out! :p
  • Options
    Originally posted by fugue
    there are a lot of these around where i live. I like to go to china town because there is this GREAT chinese resturant run by a rather old chinese family. They don't speak english so it's mostly chinese-australians who go there. The food is FANTASTIC, best chinese i've ever had. Thank god some of my mates speak chinese!

ooh and you get free lollies :)

I did go somewhere and you get these drinks in al sorts of flavours - strawberry - bubble gum, mango .. can't remember what they were called does the drink ring a bell? I'm not sure if this was a chinese or Japanese thing?

It was a bit like the liquid equivelent of Jelly Bellies.
  • Options
    BBQ spare ribs or spare ribs in O.K sauce are nice. Special chow mein is ace it has chicken/prawns/beef etc.. in it. ummm sea-weed (deep fried cabbage) is lurrrrvly, damn i'm hungry now... *toddles off to the chippy...*

Oh yeah Beef and cashewnuts is awesome!

Thai curries are nice and err hot :eek2:
  • Options
    DG - they are so yuuuuumy, there called argh i'll post it when i remember!
  • Options
    Originally posted by fugue
    DG - they are so yuuuuumy, there called argh i'll post it when i remember!

I'm so silly I thought you meant the drinks were called "DG" - but that's me right - I was about to do a search on google!! Ha Ha!!

There are so damn expensive though about £2.50 or £3 and not even alcoholic!!

In the USA there were several chinese takeaway chains almost like Mac Donalds in the way they service you - OK when you feel like a quick, cheap meal and tired of Burgers, the place was packed - I'd love to start same thing over here.
  • Options
    I'm so silly I thought you meant the drinks were called "DG" - but that's me right - I was about to do a search on google!! Ha Ha!!

There are so damn expensive though about £2.50 or £3 and not even alcoholic!!

In the USA there were several chinese takeaway chains almost like Mac Donalds in the way they service you - OK when you feel like a quick, cheap meal and tired of Burgers, the place was packed - I'd love to start same thing over here.

*giggles* aw you silly duffer!
    No, the names in my head somewhere, you know how you keep nearly remembering -prob not- but yeah that's what's going on with me!

I have heard of those chains, we have similar ones, ones called charlie chan. I don't go to them tho, i prefer the resturants, they may cost a bit more but it's definately worth it. This new thai place just opened up not far from my place. I can't wait to try it *loves thai food*
  • Options
    I've never seen Chicken and Pineapple before (only on a pizza) - does it have a special name onthe menu?

No, it`s either "chicken and pineapple" or "chicken with pineapple".
  • Options
    Mmmmm Chinese :yum:

Beef and green peppers in blackbean sauce is my fave. Hong Kong style sweet n sour is yummy too!
  • Options
    Chinese food is my favourite! Egg fried rice is always good to order, and noodles and pork dishes taste yummy :p Spring rolls are fab, i bought some in Camden.
    Thai food is more subtly spicy - it's not that hot. Malay dishes always seem to feature pineapple i find! I've never been to Yo Sushi! but definately want to try. Apparently there are robotix waiter trolleys in some places?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Faith
    Hong Kong style sweet n sour is yummy too!
    Im just about to tuck into that :yum:
  • Options
    Originally posted by BritJames
    Anyone hate the fact that if you order .. lets say chickeen chow mein in one chinese take away shop.....

it tastes and looks completely different to a chicken chow mein in another...

can't they be like tesco and sainsbury where a teabag is the same no matter where :P

hehe - so hard to find a decent chinese take away without having to go into chinatown

That's the trouble with Chinese and Indian food it varies so much from place to place and even from chef to chef - we ate at one place during the day and it was great - went another time - ordered the same things and it tasted plain and boring - found out it was because the chef were different.
  • Options
    yes quite......

You should try some squid dishes and chicken claws....

which sound awful but are lovely.

Also, the puff pastry things with meat/vegetables in are ok. A lot of the places in china town aren't brillaint. We usually go into our regular (cant rmeber name) which is lovely. It has fre chinese tea :) and my friend's parnets know the owners.