Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Name Associations

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I reckon it's difficult to pick names for kids these days - some names just congure up associated names and words which usually aren't very nice.

For instance

Kelly = Smelly Kelly
Donna = Donna Kebab
Debbie = Debbie Dog

cruel but everytime I hear those names I can't help but think of the associated words

Does anyone else find this happens to them when they hear a certain name??

Comments

• Options
    If someone has a hippy name it automatically prejudices me against them.

Like if they're called Flower or Tinkerbell or Poppy or something like that. Their parents must be mad :eek:

The surname Higgins automatically makes me think bad things, due to past experience.
  • Options
    Oh just thought of another one

the name "Chris" - no offence but when I hear that name .. oooohh ... Had a friend who's dopey ex boyfriend was called Chris, and a Uni Teacher who marked me down from a 1st on my dissertaion to a 2:1

I got a 68% on my report but when I looked I could see underneath he'd tippexed out 70% - probably him meeting some quota!!
  • Options
    Re: Name Associations
    Originally posted by DiamondGeezer
    Kelly = Smelly Kelly

Thats my name cheeky but i spell it Kelle :p
  • Options
    Re: Re: Name Associations
    Originally posted by Brummy Bird
    Thats my name cheeky but i spell it Kelle :p

sorrry, but I can't help thinking it - i don't say nothing I just think it.

But also think of Kelly Brook and Kelly Bell and they are both hot mama's.

Oh simon = simple simon!!
  • Options
    disco dan/dan the man after a mate of mine from uni....
  • Options
    my boyf was really wary about calling the littl'un Lily cause he associated it with Lily Savage

I got my way in the end though mwhahaha
  • Options
    Originally posted by candy
    my boyf was really wary about calling the littl'un Lily cause he associated it with Lily Savage

I got my way in the end though mwhahaha

Lily Savage will be long forgotten before the little one is old enough to be concerned.

Norman = Storming Norman - the dude that lead the first Gulf War
    Billy = silly Billy
    Lucy = Juicy Lucy

By the way why is someone called William known as Bill and not Will? i.e. Bill Clinton or Bill Gates - both their first names are William so why not Will?
  • Options
    Should I be offended?

:-)))
  • Options

By the way why is someone called William known as Bill and not Will? i.e. Bill Clinton or Bill Gates - both their first names are William so why not Will? [/B]

Yeah, I have often wondered this :confused:
  • Options
    Originally posted by Bri-namite
    If someone has a hippy name it automatically prejudices me against them.

Like if they're called Flower or Tinkerbell or Poppy or something like that. Their parents must be mad :eek:

The surname Higgins automatically makes me think bad things, due to past experience.

Yeah Higgins is baaad!

Jack - Duckworth :eek:
    My ickle cousin is called Ellie, imagine if she turns out to be a fatty people will call her elephant :eek2:
  • Options
    Originally posted by DiamondGeezer

Lucy = Juicy Lucy

Yup, and Charlotte the Harlot.
  • Options
    The name Jessica makes me think of a fat, smelly girl who was in my class at school! :rolleyes:
  • Options
    i know this post has kinda died but just thought of the obvious tim nice but dim etc and if ne one has a name that is the same from ne one who had been in big brother then people automatically think ur like them. i had weeks of people coming up to me and shouting 'Paul Clarke'
  • Options
    yeh i dont think you could call your kid the same thing as someone you didnt used to like or not get on with. I could never call my kids becky or natasha for that same reason. or glenn. *shudders*. My girl's called Jazmyn. And yeh, you might think its a little hippy, but it aint really, its quite common (not the spelling tho). It makes me think of music (Jaz), and jasmine is obviously a flower which is lovely. Her middle name is Hope which is very symbolic, but as you say, anyone could take the piss out of her for that.

But when you choose your kids names you consider things like that... my brother wasnt called simon, even tho my mum really wnated to, because of the simple simon thing. And my dad wanted to call me skye, but for obvious reasons - i wasnt.
  • Options
    My friend's sister is named Maggie after his dad's ex-girlfriend - I don't know how his wife allowed that!!

Higgins - you mean the teacher from Grange Hill?

Didn't he turn out to be a softy at heart - he ran into the street when they thre a manaquin into the road thinking it was a school child?

Anyway HIggin now makes me think of the English fellow in Tom Selleck's Magnum.

Joey, Ross, Rachel Phoebe and Monica - are now all related to the show friends in my mind!! - don't know anyone called chandler!!