Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

A debate - MMR

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I am personally getting very fed up now of the arguments on MMR, personally i don'yt see any problem, with teh vaccine.

If a child is going to get autism they will not because of a vaccine, how many children develop autism without the vaccine AND then measles? It is ridiculous, yes a child may get autism but what is worse dying from measles, mumps, rubella? or getting a condition a child could get anyway, autism is a genetic disease? is it not?

The single vaccine is not AS safe as the triple vaccine so why is there sucvh a fuss about all this?:confused:

Comments

• Options
    Re: A debate - MMR
    Originally posted by *DEVIL*
    why is there sucvh a fuss about all this?:confused:
    becuase the evidence is confusing. without clear cut evidence mums are going to be wary. my latest granson has just had his ...all in one go. his mums choice.
  • Options
    Re: Re: A debate - MMR
    Originally posted by morrocan roll
    becuase the evidence is confusing. without clear cut evidence mums are going to be wary. my latest granson has just had his ...all in one go. his mums choice.

Yes i understand that but still whats worse autism OR dying from a disease?

And after all the proof, studies done on it people still wish to argue about how people who give their children the vaccination are 'irresponsible'
  • Options
    Personally I'd rather take my7 chances and have a single vaccination on offer than risk the possibility that my child may have Autism, Perhaps I'm selfish but I'd prefer a child without Autism if I can possibly have one and Its not fair that people are forced into having the MMR when there is an alternative.

Its not a case of Autism or death...They should at least give parents the choice, and they should be seriously studying Autism and Chrons diseas and the link with MMR.
  • Options
    I've heard that a high court judge has ordered that these 2 girls, from separate familys have the jab, against their mothers wishes, I think the fathers wanted them to have the jab, but the mothers didn't.

Does anyone know how many children were in the initial report of the linking of MMR with autism?
  • Options
    The single vaccine is not AS safe as the triple vaccine so why is there sucvh a fuss about all this?:confused: [/B]

for some children they can only have the single vaccine because of family health history. Certain conditions mean they cant have all together.

I think everyone is confused to be honest, many articles for and many against, mothers just dont know who or what to beleive.
  • Options
    my son had his MMR, although I really ummed and ahhed about it. the only thing that convinced me was the WHO report saying it was safe. A lot of the problems I believe stem from the fact that they used to use mercury as a preservative in the vaccine, but they dont use it now, mercury poisoning casues similar symptoms to autism.
    Its not a case of being a choice between dying of measles mumps and rubella or having a jab. in the vast majority of cases measles is a mild childhood illnesses which is not very nice at the time but they get over it. In some cases there are complications though which can be dangerous. Mumps doesnt kill anyone, although it can cause sterility in boys (although usually it doesnt) Rubella is a very mild illness which is only dangerous to pregnant women because it can cause birth defects. This is why they used to give the vaccine to girls at age 11 and 12 just as they reached puberty. The problem with giving it at age 1, is that vaccination doesnt always confer lifelong immunity in the same way as actually catching the disease does so therefore immunity could have worn off by the time a girl gets to childbearing age with disastrous consequences, in some people it doesnt confer immunity at all! I remember reading about one recent outbreak of measles in London, and it turned out, that a considerable proportion of them had actually been immunised!
    Some may say that whats the point of taking the risk if it doesnt guarantee immunity in the first place.
    There is a hell of a lot of incentive for the drugs companies to agressively market their products, doctors surgerys get bonuses if a certain percentage of their patients get immunised, so doctors have incentives too. I think its strange that illnesses that used to be considered mild childhood diseases, are now feared as killers. I bet you anything once they put the chicken pox vaccine into the MMR (like they want to do) that all of a sudden chicken pox will be hailed as a killer too.
  • Options
    Originally posted by rainbow brite
    Mumps doesnt kill anyone, although it can cause sterility in boys (although usually it doesnt)

Sterility in males from mumps is very very rare. It comes from a complication called orchitis, which only effects one testicle.

If this debate is still going on monday, I'll add my bit...

People shouldn't be forced or pressured into either making or not making a health decision. they should be given the facts on which to apply some logic to make a decision.

Ps as RB said, there is a lotta lotta of money involved here, which should form part of those facts.

hope you all have good weekends

:)
  • Options
    The problem is that the public no longer believe what the Government tell them, and who can blame them?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Miffy
    The problem is that the public no longer believe what the Government tell them, and who can blame them?
    very true miffy. we've never realy trusted them but now ...!!!
  • Options
    I am personally getting very fed up now of the arguments on MMR,

well done, uve started an arguement on MMR now :crazyeyes
  • Options
    I'm completely deaf in my right ear and it's cos of the MMR jab, so no I wouldn't give it to my kids.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Faith
    I'm completely deaf in my right ear and it's cos of the MMR jab, so no I wouldn't give it to my kids.
    how come, what happened????
  • Options
    I would let my children have it, should I ever have any (looking less and less likely by the day.....)
  • Options
    how come, what happened????

I just got ill after I had the jab, can be one of the side-effects of the vaccine but apparantly quite rare :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Originally posted by Faith
    I just got ill after I had the jab, can be one of the side-effects of the vaccine but apparantly quite rare :rolleyes:
    ooer thats bad, did the medical profession agree that it was to do with the vaccine or did they try and fob you off with a different explanation.
  • Options
    did they try and fob you off with a different explanation.

:yes: Bit of a co-incidence though isnt it?!

It hasnt really affected my life at all, apart from if I'm out in noisy places then I find I have problems hearing people and to be honest most people I know have no idea about it, but obviously it could have been much worse.
  • Options
    Measles can kill, my mates sister did!

How do people catch it?
    Measles is a virus. You can catch it easily by coming into contact with someone who already has it. The virus is spread in the breath of an infected person when they cough, sneeze or just talk. You can even catch measles by being in a room shortly after an infected person has left.

It can take up to two weeks between coming into contact with the measles virus and symptoms appearing.

Symptoms
    Symptoms include:

a fever

runny nose

sore eyes, and

a cough
    These are followed by red-brown blotchy rash.

Children with measles tend to go off their food, dislike light and feel generally unwell and miserable.

Complications
    Measles can also lead to much more serious conditions, including:

pneumonia

severe diarrhoea

inflammation of the brain (encephalitis)

infection in the middle ear

fits, and

death.

About one in 15 children who develop measles is at risk of such complications. One in 70 children who contract the virus need to be taken into hospital.

The measles virus can also cause a rare fatal degenerative condition called subacute sclerosing panencephalitis (SSPE). This is triggered by the measles virus becoming active again several years after the original bout of the disease. SSPE occurs in 1 in 8,000 cases in children aged under two.

How dangerous is it?
    Infants, older children, young people and adults tend to suffer more than young children.

Pregnant women with measles risk premature labour or miscarriage.

One in every 2,500-5,000 cases proves fatal. Worldwide, measles kills more than a million people each year.

Even in developed countries, such as the UK, measles can still kill.

Prevention is better than cure
    Measles can be prevented by a vaccine.

In the UK it is given as part of a combined vaccine for measles, mumps and rubella known as MMR.

Pregnant women who are not immune to rubella should be offered the vaccine after they have given birth.

A success story

Vaccination has dramatically reduced the number of measles cases in the UK. Before the measles vaccine was introduced in 1968 there were around a quarter of a million cases annually in this country. An average of 85 people died each year.

MMR, the combined vaccine, was introduced in 1988. Its high uptake has meant that cases of measles have fallen through the 1990s.

In the year before MMR was introduced 86,000 children caught measles and 16 died. In 1999 2,436 cases were reported (a drop of 97.2%) of which fewer than 100 were confirmed as measles.

Between 1989 and 1998 there were 19 deaths from measles in England and Wales, most of them from later effects (a drop of 88%). The last death from acute measles in the UK was in 1992.
  • Options
    mumps

Mumps is caused by a highly infectious virus that is spread from person to person.

It can take two to three weeks between you coming into contact with the virus and the first symptoms appearing. You can pass mumps on to another person several days before the swelling starts to appear.

The first signs of infection are: tiredness, a slight fever, and a sore throat.

After two or three days: the salivary glands start to swell and the person's temperature will rise

Mumps can cause viral meningitis and is a major cause of permanent deafness which can be sudden in onset and affect one or both ears. Very rarely it can cause pancreatitis and inflammation of the ovaries in girls and the testes in boys, although there is no firm evidence that this can lead to infertility.

There were epidemics every three years in this country before the introduction of a vaccine. Before the introduction of MMR vaccine, mumps was the cause of about 1,200 hospital admissions eash year in England and Wales. In the under 15 age group it was a common cause of viral meningitis. In 2000 there were 661 cases of mumps in total in the UK. In pregnant women mumps can lead to miscarriage.

Mumps vaccine has been available in the UK since 1988 as part of the measles, mumps and rubella (MMR) vaccine.

A single mumps vaccine has never been recommended in the UK.

Rubella is a mild condition yet it can effect other people therfore vaccination prevents affecting others:)
  • Options
    I know in SOME cases measles can lead to complications that can kill, as can the common cold or the flu, or chicken pox. I had measles as a child though and so did most children when i was little, and in the vast majority of cases its mild.
  • Options
    I had the MMR jab and look at me! ...erm ok maybe not a good example. I don't see what alll the damned fuss is to be honest. A few children got autism, so? millions were fine. EVERYTHING has some kind of side effect... but if people are that worried, why not just offer the seperate jabs for them?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Slayer_Pantera
    ... but if people are that worried, why not just offer the seperate jabs for them?
    well EXACTLY. thats what people have actually been campaigning for. People who want separate jabs have to pay through the nose for them and go to private clinics. I think single jabs should be available on the NHS as a lot of people are worried about the MMR but cant afford the single jabs so their children end up being completely unvaccinated.