Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Diabetic - Watford Asda

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I was in Asda today - they said tomorrow (Thursday) there is a free diabetic thing from 11am to 12:30pm - free advise on what to eat and they are also conducting testing to see if you may be a diabetic.

Comments

• Options
    hmmmmmmm, would it not be better to go to your doctor? who is carrying out the tests, not a cashier or a shelf stacker i hope :lol: . seriously though, im diabetic and i know what a serious condition it can be so i recommend anybody worried about it to go see their gp!
    are you concerned about it diamond geezer?
  • Options
    My aunt was dianosed recently but she is adopted.

We bought an electronic testing thingy with the strips and tested ourselves - I was 5.5 on two different tests a month apart, my dad was 6.5 and mother 7.4 - cousin was about 4.7 and sister something similar too.

Does that sound good?

I think the real point here is many people aren't worried about it cos they don't even know they could be at risk and the test takes 7 seconds to give you an answer.

And they had professionals doing testing and tours of diabetic food, etcs.
  • Options
    Originally posted by DiamondGeezer
    We bought an electronic testing thingy with the strips and tested ourselves - I was 5.5 on two different tests a month apart, my dad was 6.5 and mother 7.4 - cousin was about 4.7 and sister something similar too.

im not overly sure, but wasnt there something on the news about the reliability of these home types of tests?

just wondering:)
  • Options
    those results are great. as a diabetic myself that is what you are really aiming for between about 4 and 8(mind you it can vary ever so slightly from person to person , at 4 i start to feel a little shaky and weak).
    BUT if you are concerned i would defo go and see your gp to be on the safe side!
  • Options
    Originally posted by clara
    im not overly sure, but wasnt there something on the news about the reliability of these home types of tests?

just wondering:)

I think they are supposed to pretty accurate from what I can tell.

The testing machine only costed £9 from Asda with 10 testing strips - worth it for the peace of mind to use maybe twice a year??

Where do you get new strips from anyway and how much are they?
  • Options
    what is the name of the machine and the strips?
    i get mine at the chemist on prescription but you may be able to buy them, im sure boots sell the blood strips but im not sure as i get mine for free.
  • Options
    Originally posted by wee wuman
    what is the name of the machine and the strips?
    i get mine at the chemist on prescription but you may be able to buy them, im sure boots sell the blood strips but im not sure as i get mine for free.

It's called Accu-Check
  • Options
    I think that is a really good idea and it might encourage people to be more aware. Diabetes is on the increase you know!?
  • Options
    i used to have an accu chek machine and i got my strips from the chemist. like i say i got mine free on prescription but im sure you could buy them. go into boots or your local chemist and ask.
    BUT ill say it again, if you are concerned go and see your doc, pls!