Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Your life, in their hands...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
So, the NHS is going to get £1bn now and several billion more over the next few years. And the questions isn't about who is going to pay for it, but how.

Whether it is through insurance or tax, ultimately the public will be paying. If tax is the answer then the Insitute for Fiscal Studies believes that it would mean approx 3p tax rise..insurance though will depend on the insurance companies (and of course they will never try to rip you off!)

So, what do you think? How should this extra money be raised?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Wacky idea but we could stop ploughing hundreds of billions of pounds into the EU..We might have some cash left over for our own public services instead of paying for Europes.

I think its probably going to be raised through VAT. No doubt they will raise the fuel tax just for the hell of it.

Of course if we had a competent government we wouldnt need huge tax hikes to pay for something that should have been more than well financed.
    And just how likely is a competent Government when clowns like Major and Bl*ir are elected?

We should pull out of Europe, its just Greeks, Italians and Portuguese sponging off us and the Germans, and its gonna get worse when the eastern Bloc is allowed to enter. the Euros a big pile of bollocks too...

It matters not who won or lost, but how you place the blame.
    Kermit,
    Last year Britain got more money out of Europe than any other country in the Union (per person)*

* I think, I can't find the Stats. and it may have been the year before, but apart from that...
    [T],

Id like to see those stats...I actually think you are very wrong on that one..Even if we did get most this year that doesnt matter as weve been in for 25 years.

We have paid 200 billion pounds into the EU over the past 25 years and we have had a fraction of that given back to us...Have no doubt, we are runnin at a huge loss from our entry into the EU.
    If it is not a tax it's a fee or some other bloody way the government finds to seperate you from your money. The health care system will eventualy go broke and I think replacing the pound with a euro is insane.

Majors and Blair......not a lot to choose from is there........both are consumate weasels......
    Vote Lib Dem and give them a chance to screw everything up!

Back to the topic at hand it's a simple case of the poor are gonna get poorer.

All evil needs to thrive is for good men to sit back and do nothing